Living off poker

C

Ccolvy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi has anyone on here ever thought about making a living playing poker if you won a big pot and would it be manageable to do it just wondering

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi has anyone on here ever thought about making a living playing poker if you won a big pot and would it be manageable to do it just wondering

Hi friend.

I think the vast majority of us who play poker have once fantasized about living on poker. I imagine that those who do it (live from poker) must be no more than 2 or 3% of all players, I doubt much more.
I once read a phrase about this: "Poker is the hardest way to win easy money."
But hey, if you can't live on poker maybe you can get some extra income a month. Even for this you have to study a lot, practice a lot, play a lot, watch many videos and read many articles and books. I am on that path, but it is slow, very slow. Hurrying that path, that learning curve, is almost certain economic ruin.
Anyway I am a novice and maybe my opinion is not so qualified.
Wait to see what more advanced colleagues think.

See you at the tables.

Kind regards from Buenos Aires.

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Ccolvy,

I agree with Warrior1961 (saludos!), I think many People have fantasized About it. I just read in this Forum, that on last Sunday millions Event at pokerstars, one brazilian guy (AAAArthur) made it and won the Million $!

Apparently he bought in to a Satellite Tournament for 11$, won a seat in the main game and there he became first, Winning 1Mio. $.

You can have a look at the final table of this Sunday millions Event clicking on below link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=173&v=uXPMzDSTnTo&feature=emb_title

So to conclude, yes, I think it possible. But you Need to invest a lot into yourself, not only by playing many Hours, watching experts Play on YouTube, reading books About it, get familiar with game Theory, learn About poker math such as pot odds, implied odds, calculating Outs etc. As I'm myself in the middle of this journey, I can just recommend watching Daniel negreanus and Phil Iveys Masterclass - it Costs some Money, but that's why I was speaking About - you Need to invest into yourself if you really wanna get there.

Cheers from austria!

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never personally considered it, nor have I wanted to pursue it, but I can imagine for a majority of people living off poker, it is an incredibly difficult and stressful thing to live off of and manage. Even for the best, there is so much variance and lucky/unlucky situations that can happen. So unless you're starting off with a very large amount to begin and weather the storms (almost to the point where you might not need to live off poker to begin with), it'd be hard to manage through the hard days, weeks, and months.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that every player at least in the beginning have dream to win big money from poker and live from it. Truth is that very few players achieve it. For me poker is fun and hobby. If i manage to improve my skills enough so that it becomes complementary source of income to my job i will be happy but i do not see myself being full time pro player.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Extremely difficult to live off poker. Most of the players you see who are playing professionally have multiple other sources of income like coaching, streaming, sponsorships, etc. To make a living just off your winnings is extremely tough. You need to have a large bankroll for variance that’s not to be touched for living expenses. Unless you were lucky enough to win $1 million plus and didn’t start playing high stakes you could probably manage.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I am sure it is real. Undoubtedly, poker can generate revenue. But it is hard daily work. There are much easier ways to make money. But it is everyone's personal choice.

C

Ccolvy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
OK thanks for the info guys I've fantasised it also but couldn't see it happening I play poker just to eat away the time in the evenings and I enjoy the competitiveness that comes with it trying by to beat the players on your table

houcineben10

houcineben10

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I think it's the dream of the majority of players. It can be amazing to live with that, or just make good profits.

G

Geek_Byte

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I work from home as a Software Engineer. When I am not too busy at work, i'll throw a couple tables up to play. The extra $200 a month is nice when im up.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
There is nothing impossible and it all depends on you.
If this is your dream, you will be able to achieve it.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hardest part is setting up the original bankroll. If you can successfully build a stake, then it may be possible to play for a living.