blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Has the line been crossed?

Poker in the Ears commentators, James Hartigan and Joe Stapleton discuss the recent antics of Phil Hellmuth exhibiting bad behavior during the $10K 7 Card Stud Event at the WSOP in the short video is below.

Is this behavior good for poker could be labelled as pure entertainment OR is it just simply crossing the line?

What are your thoughts?

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Phil is a champion and needs to act like one. Instead he chooses to be a Narcissistic a hole. It's his choice. My advice to him is to act like his mother is watching........

Mamkin_Pokerist

Mamkin_Pokerist

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me that everyone who reaches some peaks begins to behave like this. Big money spoils people

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always respected Hellmuth as far as poker resume and pedigree along with his status. But I can NEVER NEVER EVER EVER be a fan of his because of his narcissistic behavior and attitude. He thinks the game owes him something and is entitled to every hand that he loses. Can't stand him.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
First, the episode crossed lines (not to mention the rules of the wsop and the Rio) and Helmuth looked manic and out of control more so than his normal tantrum level.

Second this does do damage to the poker community and Joe Stapleton is talking out of his rear end - I completely agree with James Hartigan.

This was already discussed within the poker news forum and I noted as a neutral coming into poker the likes of Phil Helmuth put me off the game. Yes, when you are inside the community you become habituated, but that is not a good thing. The game needs to grow and attract more women and newbies...watching Phil Helmuth deride his competitors in such a vulgar manner does nothing but damage to the game.

It's not the 70's anymore where poker was seen as played by outsiders and outlaws (or wannabee outlaws).

Last edited:
Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Has the line been crossed?

Poker in the Ears commentators, James Hartigan and Joe Stapleton discuss the recent antics of Phil Hellmuth exhibiting bad behavior during the $10K 7 Card Stud Event at the WSOP in the short video is below.

Is this behavior good for poker could be labelled as pure entertainment OR is it just simply crossing the line?

What are your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yriZ7TNhqzA

Some people think pro poker tolerates this sort of behavior, I would argue they encourage it. The Poker Brat has behaved this way for most of his career.
Degenerate gambler & poker pro Antonio Esfandiari demonstrated the depth of his addiction as well as his total lack of respect for the game & it's fans a year or so ago by pissing at the table during a tourney in an attempt to win a prop bet. Professional poker punished him by offering him an opportunity to be a commentator at the WSOP. I'm sure they have some lines one cannot cross but obviously one has to really work at it to cross them.

hunterws

hunterws

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He enjoys the backlash, otherwise would not do it. We're talking about it now.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hellmouth is a joke. The image of a poker player is that he controls his emotions. And hes like a baby cries at every possibility. Lets ban the man from poker.

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe Hellmut was "encouraged" to act like the young punk he used to be, but he overshot it - he did crossed the line. Not sure who is bigger "bad boy", Hellmut, Matusow, or Tony G.