Limp x Tank

shinmenkami

shinmenkami

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was watching a liverstream of Daniel Negreanu x Doug Polk called "Grudge Match" that is unravelling past months.

They are using the wsop platform and last match (about 2500 hands deep) Polk decided to Limp and was imediatelly countered by negreanu tanking.

Despite both strategies beeing considered legal on the platform rules (at least the way they were performed) a 3d party judge was called and the result was that both players dropped theyr strategies.

Do you guys consider those strategies fair play or both players were in the wrong? Who side would you pick if theres one?

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While I think limping is a specific strategy to reduce variance and maximize ev and tanking is just a tactic in mental warfare, I don’t believe either is morally wrong or against the terms of the battle.
Polk was just trying to lock up his lead and Negreanu saw this and countered by trying to irritate his opponent. It obviously worked because Polk definitely stopped limping. Now was it a good move on Kid Pokers part? I absolutely think it was because while all the limping and tanking was going on he jumped to an early 60k+ in under and hour. After everything went back to normal he ended up down 130k for the session. If I were him I’d go back to “tanking” my time to think through every decision!

shinmenkami

shinmenkami

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While I think limping is a specific strategy to reduce variance and maximize ev and tanking is just a tactic in mental warfare, I don’t believe either is morally wrong or against the terms of the battle.
Polk was just trying to lock up his lead and Negreanu saw this and countered by trying to irritate his opponent. It obviously worked because Polk definitely stopped limping. Now was it a good move on Kid Pokers part? I absolutely think it was because while all the limping and tanking was going on he jumped to an early 60k+ in under and hour. After everything went back to normal he ended up down 130k for the session. If I were him I’d go back to “tanking” my time to think through every decision!

I actually agree with you, i decided to aproach the subject once i saw that the narrators were saying that negreanu was in the wrong (maybe because they were hired by polk)
I cant see how negreanu could have turned that arroun in any other way