Let them shoot themselves in the foot!

T_Dawg

T_Dawg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I get a strong hand like 3 of a kind or better after the flop, I tend to avoid raising to allow others to do it for me. I know there's a name for that but I can't think of it right now.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you're referring to slow playing. Especially if the flop is indicative of others in the hand hitting something playable, slow playing a monster is ideal if you're hoping to suck out the maximum value of money out of your opponents.

C

Cezar23927

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I like this style too, because You set a trap and wait for them to fall în IT.

But you have to be also carrefull because they can make something better by the end that you and then disaster.

A

Alexkaria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many cases when playing passively the opponent received a more powerful combination. And it may happen that you eventually lose your entire bank. Well, it’s everyone’s business as he considers it better to play this or that combination

beldin2010

beldin2010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But when you check/call that raises alarm in my head. Last days I have checked on the river behind such kind of a play with AA,KK and saw sets both times.
But sometimes they missed their straight/flush :).

run187

run187

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
When I get a strong hand like 3 of a kind or better after the flop, I tend to avoid raising to allow others to do it for me. I know there's a name for that but I can't think of it right now.
Normally its called allowing a player in cheap and get rivered lol
But the slow play is the actual name ..

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, as others have said, it's slow playing and sometimes also called trapping.

I've always liked to slow play, but more and more I remove this tendency from my game. You are letting opponents draw (to flushes and straights that will beat you) to cheaply, and you are risking them not building the pot enough for you to get the money in.

The latter is big deal, because if you wait till the river to bet, and the pot is ~8BB instead of , say, 15BB, you are very limited on what you can bet on the river before they realise you've hit a monster and fold. If you have built the pot prior to the river, you can make a sizeable bet and they'll still have equity to call.

These days I slow play occasionally for balance and against opponents who are aggressive and like to barrel when the board is fairly dry (not too many obvious flush/straight draws).