Least Favorite Broadway Cards

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are your least favorite starting Broadway cards?

For some reason I don't get many friendly flops with KJ, AQ, and A10.
Not to suggest I don't play these hands and my perspective on their success may not be accurate, but it sure feels like I often miss the flop with these starting hands.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont ever call a 3bet with JT unless its suited and I am last to act. If you hit a J your kicker is bad. If you pair the T your kicker is bad.

I am not a big fan of QJ and the same rule applies as above.

Now if they are suited and I am opening I will raise with them but its with the intent to fold if I get 3 bet large, but I will call and see a flop if not too much more.

Not a big fan of KT and KJ. I used to call a 3bet with KJ suited but now this is very rare as I can so easily be dominated. AT is so situational but not that hard to fold.

If I am short stacked however I like to have a minimum of KJ to shove. It has been very good to me when I shove with it.

I dont like calling off with KQ even suited. Even AQ can be folded when facing an all in 3bet that has me covered late in a tournament.

If I am protecting a large stack and it is multiway all ins that can knock me out or severely cripple me, I would consider folding AK. Sounds crazy, right?

Sucks when it would have won though.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think A-10 os is my least favorite for making the hi-str8. It's one of those starting hands that are only worth playing in position, imo. Q-J and 10-J std are probably my favs for broadway mainly for catching a player w/a hand like A-10 or A-J trying to bluff me when a K or Q hits the board, then 3-bet and it's usually over. K-Q and K-J std have some merit, as well, so long as the flop provides the open-ender. Obviously A-K std is the best hand for broadway to avoid a chop. Nice question. :)

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theoretically, I like the responses as I think they fit the paradigm of poker.
The relative strength of a starting hand is offset by the measure of response to any given hand.

Example:
A large stack has more risk tolerance to calling a stronger starting hand. A x3 big blind wager is more likely to be called by a big stack knowing a pot win is eminent to a short stack. A continuation bet against any paired flop is likely to be behind unless the raiser is holding a larger pocket pair. Variance becomes a greater risk to the pre-flop optimal holder, unless they tightly play the flop.
It's sobering to understand that basic probability makes logic and the estimation of starting hands more predictable.

A mathematically 10% favorite will not yield the expected return over time against a good poker player. How much does the over-exaggeration of math cause many people in context to become weak poker players?

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate not suited KJs the most: sometimes it's hard to fold them but they rarely win for me.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate not suited KJs the most: sometimes it's hard to fold them but they rarely win for me.

As stated, I'm not the biggest fan of KJ suited either. However, I had a massive drawing hand today with it. Paired my J on the flop with a flush draw so I had a lot of versatility.
The hand is still not one of my preferred, but I will not fold it.

Ever so cautious,

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never got lucky with hand like kjo

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are unlucky with some cards in the hand for a few days, it does not mean that you will not be lucky in the future. I don't have no favorite cards.

I

Index12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate the feeling when I get dominated by an Ace kicker on a double dead board(meaning we both missed) when I get KJo or some shit like that.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From broadway cards my least favorite are K10 offsuit and Q10 offsuit as they have least draw potential.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I'm have to pick, Q 10. Rather have connector of J 10.

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no bad combination of broadway hole cards, but if I had to choose my least favorite, it is QTo.

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
For me KQ of hearts have a dose of royalty. :rolleyes:

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ATo and JTo off are my least favorites. I find that ATo is a hand that I shouldn’t play in early position. 3bet bluffing with these hands in last position can lead to problems when call and flop some equity that isn’t the nuts or top of your range. It 2 hands I’m mostly calling with or opening with a small raise. When you’re open is 3bet defending can lead to problems when you flop a medium strength hand.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're talking strictly Broadway cards and the ones I'd least like to play, it'd be J10o. Granted, I rarely play it to begin with, but at least they're easier to fold if I end up disliking the flop and get bet into. As for what I somewhat dislike to play most, it'd be Pocket Aces. Of course it's the best hand pre-flop, but I personally have the worst luck with it when playing online and they're tough to fold against a hard-to-spot set or someone making a 5-card hand on the river and already having a lot of pot equity.

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it is QK do not know what it is but most of the time I'm overwhelmed with them when they get already the will to fold

F

flanylpant

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
K 10 I think is the worst of the combos

Adrian2809

Adrian2809

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like KQ the most but I'm not upset with AA either :))

ajtrevor

ajtrevor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have trouble letting go of most suited cards but when it’s like 10-J or J-Q I always play and I never win lol

S

Selim10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I love J 10 or 9 10 . But i will be always happy to pick up AA or KK

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I somehow can never win with K-To... just never hit anything at all for some reason.

S

Schmittens

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Broadway II

I dont ever call a 3bet with JT unless its suited and I am last to act. If you hit a J your kicker is bad. If you pair the T your kicker is bad.

I am not a big fan of QJ and the same rule applies as above.

Now if they are suited and I am opening I will raise with them but its with the intent to fold if I get 3 bet large, but I will call and see a flop if not too much more.

Not a big fan of KT and KJ. I used to call a 3bet with KJ suited but now this is very rare as I can so easily be dominated. AT is so situational but not that hard to fold.

If I am short stacked however I like to have a minimum of KJ to shove. It has been very good to me when I shove with it.

I dont like calling off with KQ even suited. Even AQ can be folded when facing an all in 3bet that has me covered late in a tournament.

If I am protecting a large stack and it is multiway all ins that can knock me out or severely cripple me, I would consider folding AK. Sounds crazy, right?

Sucks when it would have won though.

Really good breakdown.

Same here for JT and QT as my least favorite broadway cards. I like QJ, but you've made me realize the importance of the kicker even for this hand. If any of those hands are suited, I have a better feeling about them and immediately think of that elusive Royal Flush. One day I'll get it in a NLH game lol

I'm starting to dislike AK now since I can't seem to ever win with it. Always losing to some pair or if I get an Ace, it completes my opponent's straight.