Labels. Do you use them and how do you designate other players?

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anything specific you use? Terms or roles? lots of notes? do you put specific hands in the notes, or just general behaviours?

S

SuckMyTilt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anything specific you use? Terms or roles? lots of notes? do you put specific hands in the notes, or just general behaviours?
I use labels and notes.

I used to wrote out hands and long arse bits and soon realised there was to much info to quickly scan and re-digest.
Now I try to keep it very simple.. I'm definitely not the best at note taking and quite intreagued as to what responses you get on this.

With labelling / colour coding I tend to have colours for... the obvious solid regs, lags, fish, whales, semi tags/half know what there doing and one for those I presume to be bad regs.

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
having to many colors defeats there usefulness , having say 3-4 colors are much easier to follow and apply to a player ,more so in tournaments

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play mainly hyper turbo games where players are mostly on shortstacks. I mark players with three colors, depending on which cards all in. :
green - any two cards
yellow - pairs 22 - TT, Connectors TJ, QJ, KJ, KT, AQ, AJ, AT
red - JJ-AA pairs, and AK
I also take notes when bluffing or have specific games.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was using labels when I was playing a lot of micro cash games. Tried to keep it simple. Green for fish, orange for decent TAG, red for NIT. What I found over time though was that by adding a colour range to the VPIP stat on my hud it did the job for me just about as well, and I still employ that today no matter what game I am playing. Occasionally players will have fishy habits but a reasonable VPIP, so just have to keep an eye out for that and I may occasionally still tag someone.

I do like to add notes too and definitely don't do it enough. Notes are particularly good when you are up against mostly the same players day after day, eg cash games and some tourneys (eg cardschat freeroll where field is often the same players). Most commonly my notes will be on starting hands (eg Limped AA from UTG+2 with 15BB) or actions post flop (eg Bluffed river with air). Try to keep it short, simple and to the same format, so I can quickly make sense of it during the action.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use 2 dark colours for stronger players (with notes) And 2 light colours for light/loose players (with notes) Having 6+ colours can confuse you sometimes if you don't pay 100% attention to the tables if you're playing more than 2/3 tables

That's why i use 4 colours it won't confuse me at all if i play long hours.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Color Chart is Red is for A$$hats
Green is for Good/Great 18-25 vp
Orang is for any2magoo

P

Pokerblitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I use color marking for players, and the note I make starts with the type of game played and how a certain hand played out.

I have 10+ colors and player types, like: calling station, TAG, nit, maniac, floatable etc.

Example of a note I make while playing NL10 would be:
nov18 NL10 SH 88BB, potb KQs COvsBB, cbet f, b/c t AsK3s2sT

Which means I was playing this month, NL10 and villain having 88BB stack opened KQs from CO, cbetted the flop cbet-called the turn and checked river bh when the board was AK32T and the turn was the third suited card.

When playing mtt's I also note the blind level.

Last edited:
P

paapcity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use also colors to tag them.
Few of them are super agro, med agro, tag, fish, friends, etc.
Besides that i add short notes when i feels like to do it.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I use labels as the vast majority of the online players.
I have labels for the following categories:

Fish / Regular / Very Tight / Calling Station / Whale / Very Strong Regular

but to be honest they are not as useful as they seem to be. I will change them the following days :D . Some labels may mislead you at some point and sometimes you label a player based on only one play and this is totally wrong IMO.

The 2 super useful labels for me are ''Super Tight'' and ''Calling Station''. You can exploit those 2 categories but the rest of them are not so obvious. A labeled player as ''fish'' can easily outplay you because of the label etc.

My notes include some out of the line plays but the most useful notes are the general behaviours as you mentioned at the initial post! Likewise ''sticky with drawing hands till the river card'' etc.

neiroob

neiroob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like many people, I use color marks, for the game it helps me well. Color gives a quick response about the player. Notes about their game help me, it helps me a lot.

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the replies, great to see the varied use of the features.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I definitely take a lot of notes. Labeling by color is fine too. But I like to write in hand histories and raise trends and calls made. If a player is 3 bet shoving 76 on an ace king 3 flop it’s in my notes. Those players that 3 bet shove limpers from the big blind get my attention quickly. I will write as much down as possible to exploit later. I have made hero calls based on maniacs past poor plays and won big pots. Then when they bitch why I called with 2nd pair I often say little but sometimes I remind them of there 6k shove with 6 high. Most times I will let them keep bleeding chips. If I perceive a player as good or bad or tight or LAG I am surely making a note. The more information I have the easier my decisions will bel

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
shark,rock,fish,donk,fish,calling station,maniac,passive aggressive,tight semi tight loose, volatile etc.

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello my friend yes I use them But I do not like to put them by the graph of the players, not by the way they play. It's easier for me to catch my eye and know what kind of adversary I'm facing, whether it's titgh, maniac, recreational and etc ...

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use a color system and notes

Yellow is the default color so this just means I have notes on them.

If I change your color to orange that means youre AGRO (Aggressive). I actually have to peak at the notes to see if it says AGROTARD (Too Aggressive).

If they make dumb calls they earn the green label for well....green (newbie).

Blue is a variation of green but a little better than green. A call station might earn this.

Red is a warning label that indicates talent and trickiness.

Purple is to keep an eye this player until I can label them one of the other colors.

I would use the HUD stats to gather all of my other general data. If they play a marginal hand out of position this also goes in the notes. If they carry a high VPIP this also goes in the notes as it is a hard habit to break.

I also include the dollar amount of the tourney and type (bounty, satellite, etc).

I didnt model this system from anyone else, it just evolved to what it is.