Kenny Rogers was right

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The whole problem today I seem to have it backwards. fold get shown a bluff call they got it and I loose. This is what has gotten me on tilt also. Like wise players that go all in all the time and that is their only game plan. How can they think they will win like this. bad thing is when they do get lucky and draw out on you/ yoday I called a all in pre flop with AA he had JJ gues what the river brought. I mean how can I avoid or reduce this from happening short of folding to all all ins. any advice would be great

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Use good bankroll managment keep making good decisions and dont worry about the rest

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stop playing freerolls or Micros if that's your daily juice. Study your game and how you actually play and not focus so much on other players. It could be you're very easy to read and you just haven't noticed.

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Use good bankroll managment keep making good decisions and dont worry about the rest

The above is all we can do. There is variance (luck) in poker so making the right decision is about all we can do. The rest is up to faith and the RCG.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

This is the only advice I see fit. You made a good decision to put all your chips in with an about 80% hand with AA vs JJ. Your opponent got lucky on the river to beat you is all. Don't sweat the small stuff. If the game is upsetting you. Take a few days off and come back with a fresh start and outlook on the game.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel your pain and have also asked myself "what else can be done". We all feel that we cannot start folding AA, or else what is the point of playing if we are going to fold the best 2 card poker hand. Of course, we are playing a 7 card game, so risking ones entire stack when we only know 28.5% of our final hand (2/7 = 28.5) may be a part of the problem.

Well, after some thought and analysis, I have discovered that the optimum stack risk to take if you are an 83% favorite (83% equity) on the river, is actually risking 66% of your stack during the whole hand. Run the numbers and assume that you play any number of hands you like, and you win 83% of them, and lose 17% of them, and see how much of your stack should be risked to come out with the highest number at the end. This means that I ALWAYS have 34% of my stack left and I can ALWAYS build it back up if I am only risking 66% of my stack. The point is to never get to 0.0, which is what an all-in can do to you.

I have been chastised for saying this before. My point IS NOT that you should not go all-in, and my point isn't that we can always control the pot to this degree. My point is only to describe what is the optimum number. We have to make decisions in every hand and on every street. If we know what would yield the best possible answer, then when we make any decision that is different than this, we at least are doing it with eyes wide open.

Personally, i have convinced myself that all-in without the nuts is a bad play in tournament poker. I get that it is a powerful move and it gets people to fold. But if i have the best hand, i don't really want people folding now do I. If i am bluffing for all my chips, then i have another problem with risking my tournament life - i better be pretty darn sure my opponent will fold and isn't trapping me.

So there you go. Raise me allin every time we play, and i will fold. It will work every time. Until it doesn't.

H

hedonist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep pots smaller, and keep track of betting patterns.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love Kenny Rogers....

Fishmasterbaiter

Fishmasterbaiter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello!

I feel ya brother! The best advice I could offer you is to stay the course. Sounds like you know what your doing with a hand. Keep playing steady and smart and let the coin flippers get weeded out. Sometimes it helps to miss the first 20 min or so of a freeroll so those that have their finger on the all in trigger might bust. Frustrating when you get a winner and the miracle card always seems to come for the donkey. But... thats online freeroll poker, right?!
The whole problem today I seem to have it backwards. fold get shown a bluff call they got it and I loose. This is what has gotten me on tilt also. Like wise players that go all in all the time and that is their only game plan. How can they think they will win like this. bad thing is when they do get lucky and draw out on you/ yoday I called a all in pre flop with AA he had JJ gues what the river brought. I mean how can I avoid or reduce this from happening short of folding to all all ins. any advice would be great

tazzmaster62

tazzmaster62

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kenny Rogers said it the best

Know when to Hold them and Know when to fold them.

and in freerolls 75% of the time its best to fold due to the all in freaks.

the first 20 to 40 min of the tourney.

if you dont join the tourn the first 30 min its better for you

then once you join you then you just weed out the remaining ones