Jon Van Fleet Overcoming Story

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to share this sad story, however, of willpower to overcome obstacles and succeed in winning in life, it is surprising how the human being is able to self-destruct, but also has the ability to rise and become victorious, whatever profession he wants to pursue.

Jon Van Fleet is one of the greatest poker players of all time, and in addition to chip success, he is a winner in life as well. The American had to overcome several difficulties and traumas since childhood to reach success.

The whole story was summarized and published by BBZ Poker on Twitter. The thread begins by talking about the time Van Fleet attended school, and was bullied until he grew up and grew bigger than his classmates who mocked him. From there, he was able to defend other children from bullying.

It was in college that poker appeared in Van Fleet's life. After graduating from the University of Texas Tech, the player entered the world of online poker and created his famous account with the nickname "apestyles". He started playing a $20 tournament and nailed it, taking $2,000. "I was like, 'My God, I'm rich! I couldn't sleep that night," he told the Mindset Advantage Poker podcast.

Soon, Van Fleet's youth suffered one of the strongest temptations to see his bankroll grow rapidly. The American was collecting forras and increased his earnings from $2,000 to $70,000 in a short time. "I remember thinking 'wow, I can really do this.' It was amazing," he said.

In 2011, the famous Black Friday broke out and hit major online poker sites in the United States, leaving Van Fleet forsawed. "I would say I went through a very depressing time," he shared. After suffering this tupine, the player moved to various places, such as Costa Rica, England and the Czech Republic, before settling in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, to play online.

And in Mexican territory, "apestyles" went through the most dramatic moments of his life. He started a tough battle with alcohol and drugs. "Honestly, I got lost and got rid of six digits more than once. It was hard to come back," he said.

Van Fleet's friends intervened and confiscated his computer, saying they would only return it if he told him what day it was. But the situation was so serious that "apestyles" could not respond. "I've been wrong the month," he said.

From 2014, the player began rehabilitation treatment and was gradually winning the war on addictions. He finished the process and left rejuvenated, along with family and friends. "Whenever I was sober, my curve went up, " he said.

Now Van Fleet leads a healthy life. "I wake up, i train, I teach, nothing out of the ordinary," he said. And in addition, he also participates in volunteer work. "If I feel useful to other people, I've definitely completed my life," the American added.

Recovered, the player returned to success in the high stakes. In 2017, he won the biggest prize of his career by winning partypoker MILLIONS and pulling just over $1 million. He already has 29 six-figure foraes in online poker to date. In virtual felts, he is one of the biggest winners in history, with $16.6 million in prize pool.

And in addition to returning with everything to the competitions, Van Fleet also plays the role of speaker. It is part of several online seminars to share in-game experiences and teach the path of success to players who are still on the lower steps. Recently, he also started livestreaming on Twitch, showing his grind and interacting with fans, not counting the great achievements recorded on the channel.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many stories like this that do not end in such a good way. Poker success has a way of hurting people who do not seem to be able to handle their new found money. There is a certain amount of risk with the game and many think they can take that risk in all other aspects of their life. I am glad to see he has come back from an almost fatal time.

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Scary Story...

Not sure what to say about that other than frightening and glad it all seems to have ended well, for the time being, at least?

Best of Luck All at The Table!

CheezeWiz