Jerry Yang returns to the WSOP...

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To his credit, this is a bit of a cooler, but it's kinda funny since he hasn't played in many big events since winning the ME last year.

(via Pokernews)

Yang Near Elimination on First Hand

On a flop of
kd.gif
kc.gif
6d.gif
, Jerry Yang was all in against a player in the small blind. Yang showed K-7 for trips while his opponent turned over pocket sixes for a flopped full house. Yang failed to improve and was down to just 50 in chips after the first hand.

And here's how his day ended...

Jerry Yang Eliminated

Jerry Yang led out for 200 preflop and was called by two players. The flop came
jc.gif
5s.gif
9d.gif
and after the player in early position checked, Yang pushed all in for his remaining 400 in chips. The late-position player called while the early-position player folded. Yang turned over
kc.gif
10d.gif
, while his opponent showed
6c.gif
5c.gif
. The turn was the
6s.gif
and Yang was eliminated after the river brought the
6h.gif

Last edited:
Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Trips no kicker in a deepstack event, not a cooler

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of the calls and raises the "pro's" are making in these tournaments you'd think it was a freeroll, or who can push with the donkiest hand. On a flop of Kd 3d 3h Jamie Gold pushes all in with 7h 8h, the other fella had AA,,,buh bye.

Paw_kit Aces

Paw_kit Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What event was Jerry playing?

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess for jerry and jamie it is like a freeroll now

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trips no kicker in a deepstack event, not a cooler

It's not deepstacked, $3000 to start for the $1500 NL Event. And flopping trips first hand vs 6s Full, may not be the technical definition of a cooler, but its darn close.

un-diluted

un-diluted

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't see the hand played or what the positions were, but why play k7 so early anyway...?

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A cooler, by definition, is when you have a monster that you think is the favorite, but ends up getting beat by a bigger monster.
Jerry Yang's hand was a cooler.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^ Jerry yang didn't have a monster though

He got his stack in with a hand, that was only ever going to be all in with a hand that beats him. Any hand <k,6 is not going to call his all in/push all in.

Therefore it isnt a cooler, his hand would have to be k,q as a minimum for it to maybe be classed as a cooler

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Trip K's has to be considered a monster, but in this case its only a baby monster.....;)

iMaGiN.

iMaGiN.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My god...thank you lord for knocking out the idiot!

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can't just look at the made hand to define a monster, you have to look at the entire set up, the situation and the whole board. In the situation, k,7 is not a monster. If your all in first hand with that hand, you can never expect to be ahead

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trip kings is a monster here because his opponent could have also had AA QQ JJ TT 99 88 77, all hands that may risk their stack on this hand. He beats a wide range, and a small range beats him. The opponent must either have 66 or the case K with a higher kicker.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
[x] May or may not be a cooler
[x] Brings the LOLZ

Jamie Gold went out not long after - bluffing with 8-high, from memory.

I

Inscore77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there a website like the one for the EPT where you can watch the tournaments live?

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trip kings is a monster here because his opponent could have also had AA QQ JJ TT 99 88 77, all hands that may risk their stack on this hand. He beats a wide range, and a small range beats him. The opponent must either have 66 or the case K with a higher kicker.

You think an unknown on the first hand of a tourny is stacking off with underpairs????

In jerry yangs seat against someone who he has likely never played against before, so is a complete unknown, you can't think ZOMG trip kings, ill push here and get called by pocket 8's fer shure.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really understand your thought process sorry, since surely if you think this hand is a cooler, you have to think the a,k in that thread is a cooler? I don't know

As far as i see it, a cooler is a unavoidable situation where you are all in thinking you have your opponent crushed. Yangs hand is definately avoidable as he is very very very rarely going to be all in against someone he has dominated.

Its all irrelevant anyway since jerry yang sucks according to everyone, how lucky must he have got to win the main event

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My argument was that AK is not a made hand, plain and simple.
I am an argumentative ***** :p.

BrentD22

BrentD22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jerry Yang in a nut shell

Blinds 100,000/200,000
Early position
"raise 2.5 million"
with pocket 6s.

IMO not smart at all - he won the hand, but this guy played like a crazy man. His final table was a crazy rush of good starting hands and hitting the flop combined.

Jerry winning the WSOP may have been one of the lowest moments for poker. We are all trying hard to prove that poker is a game of skill and guys like Jerry make it look like luck. I don't hate the guy he seems very nice, just not a great poker player.

Although the only person to play the final table worst than Jerry was Hilm. He was the chip leader and then a couple of hands later he was out and gave Jerry a huge chip lead.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Disagree with that!!!

Hilm is an awsome player and has one of the best records in the EPT. He was willing to chance his arm against yang in the prospect of having a HUGE chip lead that would put him in an awsome position for first

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You think an unknown on the first hand of a tourny is stacking off with underpairs????

In jerry yangs seat against someone who he has likely never played against before, so is a complete unknown, you can't think ZOMG trip kings, ill push here and get called by pocket 8's fer shure.

Haven't you read stories from past ME champions about how people play against them after they have won? Raymer just recounted a story about how they were down to the final 12 in a tourney and a guy CALLED him with 64off and said he thought Raymer was on a re-steal. Raymer replied that God himself wouldn't come down from heaven and call off with 6 high regardless if he thought someone was on a re-steal.

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...you'd think it was a freeroll...

It basically is for these guys.

Example: (using general numbers)

Pro's yearly net worth=$10M (again general #'s)
Buy In: $1500, $2500, $5000, $10K

equals...

(above) Average Joe's yearly net worth: $100K
Buy In: $15, $25, $50, $100

Might as well be a freeroll. Even if you put a pro's yearly net worth @ $1M, Joe's equivalent buy-in would be $150, $250, $500, $1000, which is tighter, but still not too bad.

WSOP