Jerry Yang is HORRIBLE for poker

D

dvwavedave

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This moron is sooo bad for poker. While people are praying for their 8 yr old child to have a remission in their cancer, this idiot is praying for a blank on the turn. The guy is sickening to poker players and Christians.

crancko

crancko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cant speak for the christians, but seems that "holier than thou" attitude isnt really hard core poker material :)

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lmao, i might start praying at the poker table if it works like that!

Crummy

Crummy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Great first post!

Everybody prays when they are hoping for the right card.

Everybody hates the guy who just won millions huh?? :)

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the last few winners have not been good for poker. Greg raymer was the last guy who won who has done good over and over and just not be a douche with his money. You could argue hachem but definitly not jamie gold

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This moron is sooo bad for poker. While people are praying for their 8 yr old child to have a remission in their cancer, this idiot is praying for a blank on the turn. The guy is sickening to poker players and Christians.
Making posts calling people idiots is not what Jesus would do.

Casting the first stone, yadda, yadda.

Why are so many Christians so very not-like-Christ in their behavior? I never got that. It often seems like they don't even try, as if merely calling themselves "Christian" means that they get to behave any way they like and still claim moral superiority.

Yeah, it's a pet peeve of mine.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While people are praying for their 8 yr old child to have a remission in their cancer, this idiot is praying for a blank on the turn.

Is it okay if I pray for you to stop making bad threads?

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why are so many Christians so very not-like-Christ in their behavior?

Possibly because they don't really believe that an omnipresent deity is watching their every move and knows their every thought and is deciding based on this how they spend eternity.

Cause I know if I really, really thought that was the case I'd be out saving puppies and stuff every day of my life.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Possibly because they don't really believe that an omnipresent deity is watching their every move and knows their every thought and is deciding based on this how they spend eternity.

Cause I know if I really, really thought that was the case I'd be out saving puppies and stuff every day of my life.

Are you saying you don't do that?? I am crushed.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Monday and Wednesday are for puppy saving. Rest of the week is my own.

K

ketz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Hachem has been good for the game. We have seen him final table after his main event win. Like the Short Handed wsop were he lost heads up V Dutch Boyd. He finished 4th in a PL hold em event and has played some good poker on Poker After Dark. So I think we can include Joe Hachem as a Main Event winner doing good things for poker.

On the subject of Jerry Yang I think that if he was a bad Christian he wouldn't pledge some of his winnings to various charities. For the game, I think that if he continues to prove that he wasn't a fluke then nobody will say a word against him. I am sure that people like Chan and Hellmuth had doubters claiming they were one hit wonders after there 1st main event wins. Lets see what he can do before making a judgement

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An argument could be made that moneymaker was extremely good for poker, despite the fact he hasn't done much of anything since then. Why couldn't this fellow also be the case? He qualified online, as did a large portion of the final table. Maybe that might shed some light on the plight we Americans face with regards to online poker.

He's another one of these regular Joe types that got lucky, maybe that will lead to more people playing, which also means more dead money for us to scoop up.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This moron is sooo bad for poker.

Some people feel the exact opposite. Here is a post from p5s:

"I've been lurking on a lot of the Jerry Yang posts and I was shocked to see so much negativity towards Yang, his "antics" and his Christianity because of the fact that these things are supposedly bad for poker.

Personally, I think Jerry Yang is a perfect fit as WSOP champion for poker who will be a helpful force in counteracting many of the problems I see in the poker world today. Yang showed nothing but class and kindness at the table, being friendly whenever possible rather than spiteful. This is wonderfully refreshing when compared to all the current poker players who seem to look to bad poker play as reason to be spiteful and insulting towards their opponents. I couldn't imagine Jerry Yang getting in someone's face and putting him or her down because they misplayed a hand. And actions like these happen far too much for my tastes these days. I've noticed that these days in poker everyone seems to look for reasons to view people negatively rather than look for the positive or be friendly in spite of it.

I know if I'm being eliminated from a tournament I'd much rather hear "you have a friend for life" than "that’s what you deserve donkey ****". Hopefully Yang can be role model of sorts for more kindness and less hate at the poker table. Another serious problem poker faces is its connection to immorality in the minds of far too many.

A devout Christian champion who uses his winnings to give to others like Yang may be exactly what is needed to get the non-poker playing world to stop looking at poker as something that should be looked down upon or made illegal. I think movement away from the perception of poker as a criminal back-alley game is a good thing, and Jerry Yang as the face of poker rather than say Amarillo Slim can help to do this.

This development in poker should also help bring new people into the game who in the past may have felt uneasy about playing because of the supposed moral consequences. As far as those of you who found his "antics" of excited celebrations and prayer at the table disgraceful, I think your being quite ridiculous. First of all, there's nothing wrong with being excited at the final table of the biggest event of the year in poker and showing it. And as far as the prayer goes, what exactly is the difference between praying to God and chanting commonplace phrases like "one time"?

The only thing I can see is that Yang has a specific figure he's talking to when he calls for a card either out loud or in his mind, and if your going to find actions like these disgraceful you've should have a problem with the "antics" of maybe 80% of the poker world. Overall, I think we have a great new face for the poker world in Jerry Yang as the WSOP champion and that there is a lot of potential for wonderful growth in poker because of the events that transpired two nights ago.

Now, if only Jerry Yang can also work on how poker corporations are taking advantage of poker players with excessive rake… For the record: I do not know Jerry Yang, do not believe in God, and am basing my claims merely off what I saw from the live WSOP final table broadcast and a small amount of live railing in the days leading up to the final table."

While you might argue that his 'praying' is inappropriate for poker (for several reasons), saying he is "bad for poker" might be a bit much.

txtech

txtech

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the guy is WSOP 2007 champ,i don't care if he prays or not.he still won.
the final game was awesome,every1 thought team canada had it,river change it all...

Mojomax747

Mojomax747

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

DV, i am interested to know what your definition of what kind of player/person would be sooo good for poker.

What kind of WSOP ME winner would you like to see ( assuming he or she would be an unknown player ) to carry the mantel for the next 12 months.

A reasonable length explanation would be much appreciated, thanks.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't really give an opinion on this yet because I worked till late the day of the ME FT and was able to see only a little of it (less than an hour) in which nothing really happened.

The 2 things that stand-out in this thread are his "praying" for a blank on the river and the fact he gave some of his winnings to charity. In my mind the 2nd clearly offsets anything someone can "potentially" find wrong in the 1st. I'm not entirely sure about this, but I believe he stated at the very beginning of the FT the percentage of his winnings he would give to charity. He ended up getting 1st place so if he keeps his word on that said %, I think that speaks volumes, and I don't need to watch it to start thinking positively about him, for the same reason I like Barry Greenstein and Phil Gordon.

More than that I really can't say until I get a chance to actually watch it, unless someone wants to explain more in detail what he did wrong besides taking down the biggest and most prestigious holdem tournament of 2007, which inevitably surrounds him with envy. Just calling him a moron is not enough if you don't explain why, and the "praying for a blank" doesn't really warrant it.

Crummy

Crummy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok I don't want to make this into a religous thread or anything, but here it goes....I was raised in Church, and no I don't go to church now, I do still believe in what I believe in and yes I do pray before I go to sleep at night, why???? Because I have always done it, do I do it everynight....NO.
I am not a Christain and don't claim to be one.
First off....is this guy claiming to be a "Christain"?? I didn't get to watch the PPV and can't wait to watch it on ESPN. Anyhow.. One thing I do know is that Christans are very much agianst gambling, so if this guy says he is a Christain, what religon is he??? Last time I checked gambling was agianst Gods will??

dustyg05

dustyg05

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol guess noone reads the bible .....gambling is a sin....the bible has many passages where its talk about love of money and how game of chance are condemmed and all that shit lol

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok I don't want to make this into a religous thread or anything, but here it goes....I was raised in Church, and no I don't go to church now, I do still believe in what I believe in and yes I do pray before I go to sleep at night, why???? Because I have always done it, do I do it everynight....NO.
I am not a Christain and don't claim to be one.
First off....is this guy claiming to be a "Christain"?? I didn't get to watch the PPV and can't wait to watch it on ESPN. Anyhow.. One thing I do know is that Christans are very much agianst gambling, so if this guy says he is a Christain, what religon is he??? Last time I checked gambling was agianst Gods will??

Lots of people who play poker are Christians.....

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Love this pic, works fine for this thread.

Attachments

• jesus-gambling.jpg
    jesus-gambling.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 353
crancko

crancko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm, seems i posted my rant at the wrong place the other day. This is a copy of it. Can be viewed as my response to the P5s AG quoted
(wasnt made to be, but fits the bill. Edited out the part that was meant for other thread):

The Stop Yang Initiative

I hereby announce the Stop Yang Initiative

The sole purpose is to hunt down and slap rake players and other accountant types who have sneaked into this wonderfull game.

We are playing a game with historical connections to Wild Bill Hickok, Tommy Hull, Minsky's Follies and Bugsy Siegel. This isnt church bingo. Bible bashers, right minded accountants and people from the tax agencies of the world should be naturally banned.

And as a natural evolution; any trickster, hacker or generally misbehaving individual will naturally try to tilt the game in their favour. That being by using marked cards, collusion, bots or whatnot. Our duty is to break their kneecaps - not to pray for them seeing the light and finding the right path.

If Jerry is Yang - we need more Yen!

M

MakMan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

hmm...seems to me someone here needs to stop thumping their bible for a moment and just chill out. :)

ripptyde

ripptyde

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

worst 1st post ever

ban immed

ripptyde

ripptyde

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol guess noone reads the bible .....gambling is a sin....the bible has many passages where its talk about love of money and how game of chance are condemmed and all that shit lol

quote chapter(s) and verse(s) please

ripptyde

ripptyde

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, but there are no Bible texts that directly speak about gambling. However, there are a number of scripture texts that address the principles involved. Here are some:
The 10th commandment found in Exodus 20:17 talks about coveting which is the root of most of our problems. What is one of the reasons that people gamble and play the lottery? They covet money, quick and easy. 1 Timothy 6:10 declares that "the love of money is the root of all evil." Therefore, the enticement of gambling and playing the lottery obviously comes under these texts. But there is more. God has given to each person certain talents, which among other things includes time, money, influence and a host of other related items. He is going to have each person give a strict account of how these were used. If they are wasted and dissipated, often the indulgent ones are not the only ones who pay the price. Families often must go without basic necessities because of one member's addiction.
Matthew 6:21 quotes Christ as saying "where your treasure is there will your heart be also." For those who engage in this traffic, money is the mutilator. In the parable Jesus told of the rich farmer. He condemned him for saying how rich he was and that he would tear down his barns and build larger ones. You recall that the story ends with the man dying that very night. Then whom will this wealth belong to?
As you know, some churches countenance bingo and lotteries as a means of raising money for charitable purposes. Yet, most conservative Christians frown upon gambling of any kind, be it lotteries, slot machines, horse or dog racing, the Irish sweepstakes, roulette wheels, poker, bridge, or flipping a coin to see who pays for the soda. Why? Matthew 7:16 says, "by their fruits you shall know them."
What are the fruits of gambling? Revenue and jobs are two arguments frequently advanced in favor. Yet, when Tom Dewey was governor, he addressed the NY legislature as follows: "the entire history of legalized gambling in this country and abroad shows that it has brought nothing but poverty, crime, and corruption, demoralization of moral and ethical standards, and ultimately a lower living standard and misery for all the people." A gambler can become just as addicted to his bewitching pastime as the alcoholic does to his liquor or the drug addict to drugs.
A guiding principle, and a truth that once perceived, grips the heart is that both one's time and money belong to God. "You are bought with a price." (1 Corinthians 6:20) Consider the parable of the talents where the owner gave one servant 5, another 3 and the last got 1. The last man hid his talent in the earth. The owner rebuked him. How much sterner would have been the reproof if he had gambled it away? If your time and money were your own, we could say, "gamble all you please, it's your own business." But to gamble with money that is not your own, to waste time that is not your own, makes one nothing less than a thief in God's sight. And the Bible does say that a thief will not get to heaven. 1 Corinthians 6:9,10.
This is an interesting statement: "One has 1 chance in 10 million of winning the state lottery in California. Whereas, if you leave home and drive just a few blocks, your chance of a fatal car accident are 1 in 1 million." One cannot vouch for the accuracy of these facts, but it is worth considering.
Another interesting bit of information: Governor Washburn of Wisconsin in his annual message of January 9, 1873, declared, "Some law seems to be required to break up the schools where gamblers are made. These are everywhere. Even the church (unwittingly, no doubt) is sometimes found doing the work of the devil. Gift concerts, gift enterprises and raffles, sometimes in aid of religious or charitable objects, but often for less worthy purposes, lotteries, prize packages, etc., are all devices to obtain money without value received. Nothing is so demoralizing or intoxicating, particularly to the young, as the acquisition of money or property without labor. Respectable people engaging in these chance enterprises, and easing their consciences with the reflection that the money is to go a good object, it is not strange that the youth of the state should so often fall into the habits which the excitement of games of hazard is almost certain to engender." Remember: this was in 1873, not 1973!!!
Pray this is the help you are seeking.