Jeff Gross (Poker Pro) - Ask Me Anything!

freeringo

freeringo

2019-20-21 League Champs
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thanks Jeff for taking time to answer questions.

My question is: How do you enhance your instinctive abilities?

M

Maurits92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Jeff,

I'm wondering if you have a 'break routine' or what you generally do in breaks :)

Thanks for your time!

strokin07

strokin07

Kindly Gladiator
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hi Jeff. My name is Konstantin, on Twitch my username is exactly the same as on the forum strokin07. I watched your broadcast of the game on Twitch several times and I really liked it, especially your tactics of the game, just cool! Jeff, I wrote you messages, on Twitch several times, but maybe you did not notice them or were very focused on the game, because you did not answer me. The thing is, Jeff, that I do not know English well and can only write messages using an interpreter, but I really want to talk with you and ask a lot of questions about poker, well, about your interests and tastes. Jeff, I can write you short greetings and messages with encouragement, on Twitch, indicating in them that I'm from CardsChat, and in this thread I will ask questions, will it be normal, Jeff? ;)

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Jeff. My name is Konstantin, on Twitch my username is exactly the same as on the forum strokin07. I watched your broadcast of the game on Twitch several times and I really liked it, especially your tactics of the game, just cool! Jeff, I wrote you messages, on Twitch several times, but maybe you did not notice them or were very focused on the game, because you did not answer me. The thing is, Jeff, that I do not know English well and can only write messages using an interpreter, but I really want to talk with you and ask a lot of questions about poker, well, about your interests and tastes. Jeff, I can write you short greetings and messages with encouragement, on Twitch, indicating in them that I'm from CardsChat, and in this thread I will ask questions, will it be normal, Jeff? ;)

I am going to step in real quick on this one for Jeff. :)

When he is streaming there are anywhere from several hundred to thousands of people watching him and loads of them engaging in the chat stream. There is no way he will ever see them all - or be able to respond to all of them. He does a great job of trying to engage as much as he can.

You are absolutely correct - this thread is the place to ask him all of your questions.

Just be patient while he is grinding the WCOOP - he will only have a few minutes here and there sometimes to get in here.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome Jeff,
good luck in the wcoop!
hope you take it down

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi Jeff! I've been having fun watching your WCOOP runs. I love your positivity, and learned a few things just by watching. I marvel at you and others who can grind it out seemingly all day and all night.

My question is, how many hours do you put into a typical session? Or do you not go by time spent but by tournaments/buy-ins played?

A

awkplayer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Gross, I'd like to know by what limit of buyin you played poker and how long you started to get satisfactory results on that limit.

Last edited:
AcooltartA

AcooltartA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow Jeff! So cool that you're taking time out of your busy schedule to hang out at CardsChat!! I love watching your stream. Try to catch it whenever its on. Thank you for all the analysis as you play the hands. There are lots of streamers out there but very few really dive in and break down what they are doing in each hand. Thank you for all the quality content!! You really are one of a kind bud!!

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Jeff. Great watching you on twitch. I’ve seen some deep runs you’ve made at the WCOOP events and the daily 500.

Are you going to be able to bring Foster with you when you leave the Bahamas? Maybe you’ll have to pay for a vacation for him to join you!

A curiosity question? Are you American or Canadian? One site lists you as from Ann Arbor Michigan and another as Windsor Ontario. I know they are a stones thrown away from each other but curious as to what you consider yourself. Or are you dual citizenship? If you had to represent your country in the Olympics which would it be?

Thanks and good luck on a deep run at the main event. Hoping to watch some and seeing you cash big.

strokin07

strokin07

Kindly Gladiator
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I am going to step in real quick on this one for Jeff. :)

When he is streaming there are anywhere from several hundred to thousands of people watching him and loads of them engaging in the chat stream. There is no way he will ever see them all - or be able to respond to all of them. He does a great job of trying to engage as much as he can.

You are absolutely correct - this thread is the place to ask him all of your questions.

Just be patient while he is grinding the WCOOP - he will only have a few minutes here and there sometimes to get in here.

Thank you, dear, Debi, for the complete and exhaustive answer.:)

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What kind of hardware/software would you recommend for the 25k WCOOP high-roller buy-in?
Of the chaps who are there, what do you think they are using?

Thanks for any response!

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What are some of the different strategic ways you might play AK's based on your stack, position, level, and number of opponents raising before you? Any difference for suited?
Are there any precautions you may take when out of position? Are there clear times to lay the hand down? Do you ever flat a raise with it?

Last edited:
Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

CardsChat Pro/Twitch Partnered Streamer
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Jeff , im from Canada and have followed a few poker streams, unfortunately, ,havent followed yours as of yet , .Being u are now on CC ,I plan to watch and gain some experience from the threads and your streams, Welcome and can't wait
Huge day tomorrow! Need all the support & energy can get!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Jeff!
How do you prepare for a grind session? Do you have some sort of ritual/ things you'd do before you hit the tables?
Also what do you do on breaks?
Also what do you do to work/improve your mental game? Specially for grinding long hours
And how much do you study in comparison to how much you play? And can you explain a bit of what you study mainly..
ex - hand analysis, theory, learning vids etc

Welcome to CC!!
I like to have a big breakfast, hit the gym, speak to Elliot Roe (like I will 8:30 a.m. tomorrow before one of biggest days of the year) but his mind coach program as well works great and I highly recommend (I give away one at end of each stream). I get the best sleep I can, avoid distractions and obstructions while playing, the mind can wonder fast! On breaks i use restroom, eat a bit, do some pushups and breathe. The twitch 5 min breaks are intense! I study prob 20% of what I play but should be more! I use RYE; on my website JeffGrossPoker.com/affiliation I have info on that program as well as the products/things I use for my game and prep it's all there! Great questions! Hope to see you on Twitch (JeffGrossPoker.tv) for one of the biggest days of the year!!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What are some of the different strategic ways you might play AK's based on your stack, position, level, and number of opponents raising before you? Any difference for suited?
Are there any precautions you may take when out of position? Are there clear times to lay the hand down? Do you ever flat a raise with it?
Yes AK & JJ are difficult hands to play and really depend on many factors. I think when your sub 30bb looking to get it in pre is never an issue. When you are 50bb or more its bit more complex. Playing in pos is a lot nicer and you can raise smaller. OOP I would size up to 3.5 or 4x the raise from the player but that depends of course. Come on Twitch and you can ask me about this and more in real time! I'm on tomorrow all day!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What kind of hardware/software would you recommend for the 25k WCOOP high-roller buy-in?
Of the chaps who are there, what do you think they are using?

Thanks for any response!
I use PT4; they use PT4 & Holdem Manager mostly. If you are playing online you def should be using some form of a HUD!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you, dear, Debi, for the complete and exhaustive answer.:)
Hey! Guys yes bear w/ me. I am learning this forum & having a bit of hard time w/ the order of it and seeing what answered. I will try to go about it systematically moving fwd! Also I am streaming on Twitch 10-14 hour days as well as watching 100's of videos for the $30,000 Platinum Pass giveaway w/ Andrew Neeme & Bill Perkins so until next week I will do my best to get to these great questions but I am running on fumes! Thank you for understanding.

Jeff

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Jeff. Great watching you on twitch. I’ve seen some deep runs you’ve made at the WCOOP events and the daily 500.

Are you going to be able to bring Foster with you when you leave the Bahamas? Maybe you’ll have to pay for a vacation for him to join you!

A curiosity question? Are you American or Canadian? One site lists you as from Ann Arbor Michigan and another as Windsor Ontario. I know they are a stones thrown away from each other but curious as to what you consider yourself. Or are you dual citizenship? If you had to represent your country in the Olympics which would it be?

Thanks and good luck on a deep run at the main event. Hoping to watch some and seeing you cash big.
Thank you! I am American, born and raised in Ann Arbor, MI. I went to school at the University of South Carolina for college (played soccer there) I got setup in canada post black friday but am 100% american and do not have dual citizenship. My wife is Brazilian so if anything I am part Brazilian!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow Jeff! So cool that you're taking time out of your busy schedule to hang out at CardsChat!! I love watching your stream. Try to catch it whenever its on. Thank you for all the analysis as you play the hands. There are lots of streamers out there but very few really dive in and break down what they are doing in each hand. Thank you for all the quality content!! You really are one of a kind bud!!
thank you for the kind words! you stream as well? I will check it out. See you on tomorrow's stream!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Jeff, my biggest difficulty at the moment is the tournament bubble, I'm afraid to pay allin with AKs, AQ, 88, 99, TT. I think this is hurting me because I end up losing the opportunity to double my stacks, I know there will be situations where we will drop the tournament because there is the variance and we must respect it, rather be afraid to play with certain cards in the bubble by Fear of falling is undoubtedly harming me. Would you like to know if I should risk more or if I should hold on with the intention of arriving at ITM?
My name is Washington, nickname: wsbar. It is an honor to learn from you.
Yes so you have to remember the money is top 3/FT! I mentioned before this is something I needed to work on lot since min cashing lot was normal for me but really just don't be afraid to go for the win specially when it's with top 2.5% hands!

K

KwazuluNatal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Africa

Hi Jeff
How do I know if a poker site is really legitimate, after all this is internet and can and do people find loopholes. Played on Silver Sands site and it seems that once I get a large win, the dynamic of table changes and people come on to your table and within 2/3 hands you have lost all to very cagey hands. Even when I have AA, KK, i LOSE TO 3 6 OFF SIUTE ALWAYS SOMETHING RIDICULOUS.

strokin07

strokin07

Kindly Gladiator
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hey! Guys yes bear w/ me. I am learning this forum & having a bit of hard time w/ the order of it and seeing what answered. I will try to go about it systematically moving fwd! Also I am streaming on Twitch 10-14 hour days as well as watching 100's of videos for the $30,000 Platinum Pass giveaway w/ Andrew Neeme & Bill Perkins so until next week I will do my best to get to these great questions but I am running on fumes! Thank you for understanding.

Jeff
Thank you, Jeff, for taking the time for my humble person, believe me, for me, this is very important. With best wishes to you Konstantine. ;)

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found cardschat because of your stream. You give back so much to your community between the twitch and youtube content. I'm going to miss the streams.

When you're at a final table, how willing are you to chop? Even if you know the other players might be better than you, or are trying to pressure you into doing it?