GB
Chips
Ivey vs Unger

Heads up

50 matches

Blinds go up every 20 mins and start at 10 20

With starting stacks of 10k

Who wins?

50 matches with Ungar in decent health, Stuart Ungar.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stu Ungar. Demons and all. Stu Ungar was on a level that had never been achieved before and quite frankly may never be achieved again. Too bad the Demons got in him.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
50 matches eh? In that case neither of them wins

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
50 matches with such a structure is unlikely to show an objective picture, but if they played 50k cash hands it would be more interesting statistics

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd say Stu Unger...one of the most brilliant poker minds...now Phil Ivey is good, and he must be smart, but Unger was a one in a million.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
go ivey :)...i think it is a much volatile player then unger , but you will never know :), but again go iveyyyy

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Was Stu Unger good at poker math or was he mainly guided by reads of opponents in the game?
It is possible that he would not have won online.
If he played according to the strategy of those times against modern solver's lines of Ivey, he could also lose.
In general, it is impossible to compare players from different times...

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly I would say Ivey. I think Ivey was more well rounded. Ungar seems to me like he just played aggressive with every hand and just hopes you fold or lose. He played in a different era where not too many players knew about the ins and outs of the game.

P

pwalker4201977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That’s a great game there but I think Stu gets Ivey in the end. Unger just could look through your soul n know what you had so he knew when to fold or go all in

A

AceOfJax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly I would say Ivey. I think Ivey was more well rounded. Ungar seems to me like he just played aggressive with every hand and just hopes you fold or lose. He played in a different era where not too many players knew about the ins and outs of the game.
Played in a different era? They are both still playing today. You thought they retired or something?

A

AceOfJax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd go with Ivey. I read Stu's book and he is amazing. It also isn't very far off from the way I play. His style is geared more towards taking advantage of weaker players. Ivey has an off the wall approach that would give him the edge because I doubt Stu would figure out.

A

AceOfJax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know which Stu you mean, but Stu Unger died long ago...
Haha wow I'm a moron. Somehow I confused Stu Ungar with Gus Hansen.... I guess Gus looks like a Stu to me.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm sure I would have beaten Ivy! In any sport, past champions have no chance in front of their contemporaries!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Was Stu Unger good at poker math or was he mainly guided by reads of opponents in the game?
It is possible that he would not have won online.
If he played according to the strategy of those times against modern solver's lines of Ivey, he could also lose.
In general, it is impossible to compare players from different times...

Stu Ungar had a genius level IQ and was so brilliant at gin rummy by a very young age, the best in the world refused to play him which is why he switched to poker.

Ivey is a brilliant intuitive player but Ungar was on a different plane. As far as I am aware no one has matched Ungar's tortured genius since he died. And whilst I understand the admiration of someone such as Ivey, I am not sure who would come out on top if you matched Ivey with the likes of Fedor Holz in the scenario above.

Ungar was a phenom since a child and then befriended and mentored by what would appear to be another savant Victor Romano (alleged to be a mafia member). They were playing above the rim due to their brilliance which had nothing to do with the existence or not of solvers.