Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't know who needs to hear this, but it's OKAY to be a rec player!

If you're not a pro, don't beat yourself up over it. Too many people are buying into the narrative that you can't succeed as a poker player if you're not a pro, and I've seen people beat themselves up here on the forum over the fact that they are "not pro yet," even if they are playing well and have built a little bankroll. It's really up to you how you determine your own success. You can be a winning player and put that money aside in savings, use extra cash for a vacation, or as a long-term goal - towards a retirement fund. You can still be a good player as an amateur or rec player.

You don't HAVE to put endless hours on the tables and quit your job to become successful. Will you get rich as a part-time rec player? Probably not (unless you win a big low buy-in tourney like some at the wsop), but as a rec player, who probably mostly plays low buy-in tourneys and cash games, probably not. And that's okay. Just keep playing and keep studying. And if you're on a bad run, don't lose hope. Keep learning, keep playing, and stay within your bankroll.

JappsPK

JappsPK

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You're right! I always say i am full recreative and a big big fish!

I can play more serious if i want, but i literally dont care. I just like to play poker, losing or winning.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree. Nothing wrong with being a recreational player!

A rec player does not have to pay attention to bankroll management.

If they want to deposit $20 per month and win some & lose some and enjoy poker....that is terrific!

Poker can be more fun as a rec player - a lot less pressure! (y)

Last edited:
Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If you're not a pro, don't beat yourself up over it. Too many people are buying into the narrative that you can't succeed as a poker player if you're not a pro, and I've seen people beat themselves up here on the forum over the fact that they are "not pro yet," even if they are playing well and have built a little bankroll. It's really up to you how you determine your own success. You can be a winning player and put that money aside in savings, use extra cash for a vacation, or as a long-term goal - towards a retirement fund. You can still be a good player as an amateur or rec player.

You don't HAVE to put endless hours on the tables and quit your job to become successful. Will you get rich as a part-time rec player? Probably not (unless you win a big low buy-in tourney like some at the WSOP), but as a rec player, who probably mostly plays low buy-in tourneys and cash games, probably not. And that's okay. Just keep playing and keep studying. And if you're on a bad run, don't lose hope. Keep learning, keep playing, and stay within your bankroll.
Good speech, I agree with everything said above.

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You don't HAVE to put endless hours on the tables and quit your job to become successful. Will you get rich as a part-time rec player? Probably not (unless you win a big low buy-in tourney like some at the WSOP), but as a rec player, who probably mostly plays low buy-in tourneys and cash games, probably not. And that's okay. Just keep playing and keep studying. And if you're on a bad run, don't lose hope. Keep learning, keep playing, and stay within your bankroll.
Being a pro doesn't mean you are really good player, it means you live with the game earning money.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The majority of players that think this way are beginners players. I remember that when I started to play many years ago, I also thought that would be nice to be a professional poker player. Nowadays, I don't have the same opinion. The main reason because the life of the majority of professional poker players is not glamorous as one day I thought. I love the game, but I would never be able to play online 8 hours almost everyday with the pressure of having to win money to pay my bills. Also, fortunately, I really like my real job and I wouldn't trade it for poker.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't be playing poker if there wasn't that 97% who keep the game alive. Thank you for being you!

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips

I am already enjoying poker as a rec player but reading this message made my day. It is like my mind decided to post on the CC chat by itself. Everything you said is my view about the game and the money I make will be enjoyed during the vacation time. Kind regards.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
Completely agree with OP statements! Being pro not just at poker, but every other thing just puts pressure on you to show the results and often leads to frustration when you don't make it. It makes you lose your love for the game and dropping one of the hobbies you might enjoy.

It's completely OK to come in now and then, pump some adrenaline through your veins, experience a thrill of winning or enter the sad pits of losing and then just walk away for the day without being bothered all too much, because you know you had fun playing along the way and didn't lose anything meaningful.

meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I just play for fun and that's okay. My life is working daily 9-5 and play my poker, no problem with it. I don't use my time studying poker , so probably I will not win like a pro, but I'm very happy if I have some good results, just as I'm getting nowadays. The most important is having fun. GL all.

meagain00

Becky Eubanks

Becky Eubanks

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just play to keep my mind sharp, experience all kinds of emotions ;) and make a little spending money along the way !!

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Saddly there's a lot of players, specially begginers, that gets easily obsesse with poker. Is a lack of vission too.
I hope your post helps to at least one member to understand this.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Nowadays, I don't have the same opinion. The main reason because the life of the majority of professional poker players is not glamorous as one day I thought. I love the game, but I would never be able to play online 8 hours almost everyday with the pressure of having to win money to pay my bills.
pressure to play the bills? rethink what you know about professional poker player, they always have money separated between poker and life outside poker

Spannerdeth

Spannerdeth

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first goal should be having fun. I would much rather be the rec who enjoys playing cards on the weekend than being a pro who grinds through the days. I suspect for the few who are successful playing poker for a living, there are also those who have the dream but grind in relative misery.

Second goal is to improve my game the best I can with the resources and time that is available for the hobby :)

A

arshuns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Poker is a very interesting game. Like many other players, I play for fun. And we'll get big wins if we're lucky. Good luck at the tables!!!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Absolutely correct and well said. Its fine to be a REC player. You can play what ever buy ins you want and dominate them and thats OK. To many people forget why we started playing poker in the 1st place. We started because the game was fun.

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

I am not a professional. Moreover, I do not aspire to become one. I am an amateur, poker is a hobby for me and it suits me completely. The game brings me pleasure and this is the main thing in my opinion.

thetaxman1

thetaxman1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank goodness now can we bless the Random number generators that keep us wrecked players coming back.