Is it really possible online ?

F

fiddy1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it genuinely possible online to make a regular CONSISTENT income playing poker online ? Considering all the donk plays that go on hand after hand after hand i am becoming disillusioned by the prospect.

I know a lot will talk about skill, luck, blah blah, but truly, how does skill play a significant part in overcoming luck, when u are consistently battling donk calls, donk bluffs and just overall donk plays that there is no way in hell even a pro could figure out wot is going on ??

Many years ago i gave it a real hot go went from thinking it was possible to giving up and i've recently tried again - once more i had a good run and thought ok i might be able to do this, until i just met bad beat after bad beat and players who are happy to call u down to the river despite massive inverse odds against them etc etc.

I'm sure similar topics have been discussed but i just wanted to get opinion as to whether it is truly possible to make some type of income - and im not really talking about much, im just talking about some additional spending money CONSISTENTLY from playing online. I know a lot of people talk the talk but truly are they making consistent money ?

Thx for listening :)

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know the numbers, but of course there are. Some even make a good living at it.

I'm sure there are more losing players than winning players over the long haul.

A

AUPhoenix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion the only way to make a consistent living playing poker on line is to play at the very high stakes tournaments and ring games where a lot of money can be made and the donks are gone due to the stakes.

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes. it's possible with a high bankroll and a high amount of skill.

clubsta

clubsta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say yes, but it's really not as easy as a good player thinks it is. It takes a lot of will power to keep playing with good bankroll management, especially when you do hit those good runs and decide in the heat of the moment to bet big on the next game when you're on a roll, and then go on and lose the bankroll you worked so hard and long for, in the face of a donk or even someone who just outplayed you. It's definitely never going to be nearly as consistent as, say, a real job, and statistics do point out that the majority of people lose overall. If you think you have what it takes to be one of the winners, then by all means . . . but I think bankroll management is key for longterm, professional players.

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The key to making money online is VOLUME. If you are a 60-40 favourite on a particular hand, you will lose 4 out of 10 times, meaning you need to have that situation come up tens of thousands of times to even out to winning 60% of the time. And that means a profit of only 20%.

That's why you see online pros playing 16-24 tables at a time for hours and hours. Its the only way to overcome the variance.

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes people make consistent money online. Dusty Schmidt is a well known example and a member of this site.

OP, why do you think having bad players in your games make it harder to win? You want "donks" in your game. We make our money from other players mistakes. If you can't beat the "donks" in your game you won't beat the good players in higher games.

bonflizubi

bonflizubi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
totally possible to make a consistent profit. Well, make that a profit - over th elonger term. You will have winning months and losing months, but the winning players will keep winning over time.

Volume is the key. THe more games you play, the more opportunities to smooth the variance out.

Also, if you want truly consistent earn, play small field SNG's. Over time you will have a smoother line.

And lastly, I won't define income here for OP. If by income yo umean profit, then yes. If by enough to live on, then you'd better be quite skilled, play an insane volume and play at least midstakes or higher.

FWIW Here is my tourney graph on the year. I removed the $$ figures, but you should see the insane amount of variance you get from MTT play. (Note there ar eall sorts of buyins in there as well as a slew of SNGs as well as big field MTT's and buyins from probably $0.10 to $500

EDit: that is showing ~4500 games. Pic is kinda small...

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 152
Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is but only in the big money games.

F

fiddy1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmm .. makes it interesting doesnt it - i agree we want donks on our table - and i seek them out myself, yet its consensus that its only likely possible in the higher stakes games .. :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Here's a related thread on CC (from 2007) https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-rooms-10/how-many-tables-do-you-play-89371/

There's a guy who played 50,000 hands in one day!! (while making a profit). Same guy also held the record number of hands played in one month at 604,000. (not sure if this record still stands, as he was contemplating shooting for 1million hands in 1mth. & this was back in late 2009).
I record on Guiness Records, Elky has the record of most tables played at 62 (< not sure if this is still the record today either).

soccerrunner8098

soccerrunner8098

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lots of tables at higher stakes to eliminate donks would help to turn a profit, but only if you know what you're doing obviously. You could get in big trouble mulitabling at high stakes

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of tables at higher stakes to eliminate donks would help to turn a profit, but only if you know what you're doing obviously. You could get in big trouble mulitabling at high stakes

Multi-tabling to generate volume is key but why do you want to "eliminate donks." ? Bad players are the source of your profit.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id say no.
Not if you mean that you will never have days when you loose money. Cause the swings will come.

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone who is dissing donks, THIS IS THE ONLY WAY YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE MONEY AT online poker!

Why the hell would you want to sit at a table full of regs who know what theyre doing, so you can lose your money? or just play pass with your chips for a while?

wolfie

wolfie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i say yes :)

i making a decent profit every month, not enough to live from but some nice pocket money.

play mainly 5-10-25 nlhe ring games and selectif mtt/sng on 5 different sites regulair and some mtt on 4 other sites irregulair.

the irregulair games are mostly easy money games :)
got 1 thats a $1 buyin freeze mtt with $500 added and 10 $50 bounties added with about 30-40 players playing, pitty its only once each month :)
9 players get in the money :)
cashed $327 there last month :p

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a question for those that do not think donks hurt the game. If you have two donks at your table do you have a better chance of winning than if you have say 6 donks at your table. How many times have we discussed that AA is great against one or two players but the suckouts are way more likely when 5 people stay in the hand.

It's way off topic here but something worth discussing in another thread I think.,

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a question for those that do not think donks hurt the game. If you have two donks at your table do you have a better chance of winning than if you have say 6 donks at your table. How many times have we discussed that AA is great against one or two players but the suckouts are way more likely when 5 people stay in the hand./quote]

Well, I only play full-ring and given a choice, I'd prefer to have 8 other donks at my table (if you include me I guess that makes 9:eek: ). Honestly, I can't imagine why anyone would prefer fewer bad players and more good players at your table. Give me all the bad players you got. I read a really old poker book somewhere, even pre online poker I think, that discussed this topic. The author called it something like "pooling of the fishes" or something like that. Really can't remember, its probably been 15 years ago or more that I read it. Anyway his point was the more bad players the better for you as long as you realize how the game dynamic is changed. Your varience will be way higher. Your income should also be way higher in the long term. Big pocket pairs, even A-A and K-K, are way over valued against a table full of donks if you can't chase anyone out. Either bet huge pre-flop to at least try to thin the field, or, if you get a lot of callers, don't invest much in the hand unimproved.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a question for those that do not think donks hurt the game. If you have two donks at your table do you have a better chance of winning than if you have say 6 donks at your table. How many times have we discussed that AA is great against one or two players but the suckouts are way more likely when 5 people stay in the hand.

It's way off topic here but something worth discussing in another thread I think.,

Yeah in a 9 person sng i would rather to play 2 donks and 6 passive novice players to the game.
Edit:by donks here i'm talking about the players that are pushing all in every hand or calling every hand.

F

fiddy1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok so you hit on interesting points that ive been pondering - so we know AA & KK are no good against donks, they will play not only any 2 cards but any connectors or suits

So ok a big preflop raise with AA doesnt chase them away (see below) , we are gonna wait for big hands - like flushes, straights, boats ? Well how often do these come ? OK so we establish we have to be more aggressive and make more plays against these types because otherwise we will nit our way, waiting for those premium hands - alright how many times have u made a play and its called down anyway and u hemorrhage chips ... for me thats a hell of a lot lately.

Lets be honest - how many hands against a player online do u need to see to get even a remotely close read on his hand or range ? A crap load i would say because come on - not even they know what they're doing ! :)

Again i'll reiterate its not the donks i dont like - i love them - the truly mindless players i will chase if they even leave the table ... lol

I guess my point is that I'm feeling like the number of bad beats and suckouts against donk plays are just too overwhelming to make a consistent return from the online game unless as some have said, i guess the volume of hands is astranomical and the bankroll can withstand the drawdown from really poor runs -which ive just experienced.

As a side note i just lost another stack 2 hrs ago holding AA after i MASSIVELY raised preflop to get 1 caller eventually show me KT suited and hit his set on the turn (and full boat on river) .. i mean how many of those can a player take ?

Thx for listening ... been a real brutal week

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's a related thread on CC (from 2007) https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-rooms-10/how-many-tables-do-you-play-89371/

There's a guy who played 50,000 hands in one day!! (while making a profit). Same guy also held the record number of hands played in one month at 604,000. (not sure if this record still stands, as he was contemplating shooting for 1million hands in 1mth. & this was back in late 2009).
I record on Guiness Records, Elky has the record of most tables played at 62 (< not sure if this is still the record today either).
rs03rs03 120-tables $1.10 DoN's, he is a beast, must be Supernova at least too, there was a thread on the other forum a while back about him