J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's a mixture of the two, there are times when you make the move, everything is thought out, everything according to the rules and what you've studied and there are times when it doesn't work and luck just smiles at you.
Poker is so unusual, exciting, sometimes cruel, more exciting.

LadderingUp

LadderingUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its knowledge that allows you to make good decisions which in turn puts you in the position to get the luck.

S

Spheremaster

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all, I think 50 % luck and 50 % skill...

have a nice day :)

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes some players are lucky but in the long run the skill also plays a very important role.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What you have to watch for is what I call "PEA", player elimination algorithm. It occurs a good bit early, prior to breaks, on the bubble, and once in the money. You may have AA, BUT if the villain's bank is larger, say his 10k to your 1.6k, he will beat you period. Our tournaments with as many talents as we have, would last quite longer if it did not. So on the bubble, for example, you have AA and get ousted by a Q7 offsuit, you just got "pead" on. I chance to say online is 30% skill, 30% luck and 40% algorithm. Whereas real live poker which is the real true random poker, eliminates the 40% factor and becomes more a 70% skill and 30% luck.
CHEERS!

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its definitely both because knowledge and luck kinda go hand in hand. Luck is good and bad so its up to you to put more good luck on your side. I think online is totally different from real life. Good luck and hope you crush it.

nanida888

nanida888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's about two factors at once: good decisions and, of course, good luck! And as for me, a good decision, experience in the game still means more. After all, when you see your opponents' mistakes, you know what decision to make in order to increase your stack and, accordingly, bring yourself closer to winning chips.

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
probably both of us.......i think we need to guest all hand and take chance but big card help for sure

milencenov

milencenov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is difficult to give an honest opinion based on clear facts.

There is a bias in our minds - we are very selective to underline what suits our opinion and neglect everything that contradicts our beliefs.

I believe that correct decisions should come over luck in poker, but yeat the electronic dealers try to prove me wrong every day.

bosskms

bosskms

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel that after making your best decision and someone calls....then you need to not get unlucky.
You always have better luck the better your decisions.

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's about 80% good decisions and 20% a little bit of luck. That is why it is good to study the tables and positions.

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
in online poker more luck than skill ! from all my years of playing online poker i observed soft favours the bigger stack

D

deputat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think its a lucky desicion and how you know
''He'll be lucky, who works hard.''

C

Carlloss

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any two cards have the possibility of being the winning hand at the end of the round. A freak going all-in with a 72o has a 12.4% chance against an opponent with a strong hand like AA. This same hand has 14.4% on A34 flop, poker is a game of reading ranges and odds, with a dash of luck. The point is not whether you never lose to a worse hand, but how many times your good decision will win. In the long run, the crazy 72o will be a loser, and you with your good decisions will be a winner.

telespf

telespf

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some times, is very good decision you fold a winner hand, against players in all in that want lucky on the river.

There are opportunities at a gaming table that by a good decision the chips can be increased quickly, however there are players who risk with any card and win.
So is it all about good decisions or just luck? :rolleyes:

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most likely, a combination of factors and a player's psycho-emotional mood affects the success and luck at the table. Remember yourself, when you had a successful day in the game, you understood that today you are doing well with any card and suit.

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The good thing about poker is that it's not all up to the player, but there's also luck.

garibe

garibe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it helps,

the tournaments where I won, or placed best were the ones that I folded the most pocket pairs pre-flop (not 22, but 99-QQ).

having knowledge that you must think about equities instead of the hand "absolute force". Just like thinking that if you got AA pre-flop you are entitled to win, it does not work like that.

Understanding equity buckets is in my opinion, what makes you "lucky" most of the time.

but yeah, theres the luck factor there no matter what.

L

LosJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not luck, its bad luck in my cases

robertboz

robertboz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I say that the first factor is the decision, then it is luck

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
opinion

Before, I hoped only for luck, but the years go by and we become wiser. I can say quite seriously - you should always rely on your cold mind. It's like fishing. If it doesn't bite, leave and you will come tomorrow. You’ll catch a big fish tomorrow.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With slot machines---it's all luck.

With poker, I've noticed over the years, that the top pros are very lucky. Why? Because they know how to play the game, and know how to play their luck. They get themselves into lucky positions more than we do, because they know what they're doing, and they know how to play they're luck.

elchonga

elchonga

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think that like any game of chance you always need luck, what is achieved with good decisions is that in moments of luck we achieve the highest possible profit with one hand.
It is difficult to reach a final table just with luck