Intimidation as a Strategy

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We've all come across those players, who use abusive language, do name calling, and demean other players, and their ability.

Many of the players that try to intimidate others, are using intimidation as a strategy.

I'm looking for opinions on what you think of intimidation strategy.

SecksyGambler

SecksyGambler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm all for intimidating my opponents as a means to take advantage of them. I'm a fairly aggressive player, and I'm not shy to let everyone at the table know. I don't do any name calling or anything like that; I just try to get my opponents to think they can beat be because I always play like I always have a better hand.

Sometimes I get folds - which is always appreciated. But I don't always get folds. that's where the fun begins. I try my best to induce a bet regardless of my hand in hopes that, when I flop top two pair, or something equally as good, I'll be able to slow play and force them into a value bet after the river to make them think I'm bluffing.

I'm sure it's not a perfect strategy, I try not to act aggressive all the time - a lot of the time I'll play close to textbook (or my best imitation of textbook). But, it's my favorite way to play poker, even if it's not the most +EV, the feeling of getting your value bet called is the best feeling.

MatiasGomez

MatiasGomez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is unnecessary to use intimidation as a strategy. Also, the sites should not allow it. Anyway, I think there are always people who use it, and the best we can do is not pay attention to what they write and focus on our game.

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think once it goes past a certain point, this should not be allowed at the table, but if someone wants to be a jerk for EV, then go ahead I guess. Maybe they will tilt themselves.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that players who intimidate, insult or humiliate other players have absolutely no prospects and are doomed to permanent losses.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If intimidation involves only playing techniques, I think it is valid, but involving offenses and name-calling is a creditless practice.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As far as you do not cross the border between tryng to exploit other players and being rude it is ok. Name calling and constant trash talking is definitely on the wrong side of the border.

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In theory, if you can put people on tilt then it could work as a strategy. But also I think what this strategy would do is draw lots of attention to you, where everyone at the table will want to beat you and so will pay lots of attention to your play to try to learn your tendencies and beat you. I don't think it's a good thing to have everyone at the table focused on you, so overall I think probably not a good strategy.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, if you are so sure that you can intimidate everyone, you are either stupid, or there will be those who will force themselves to respect.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate it, but it is part of the game, as long as it is not personally hurtful to the person I let it go. I have spoke up when another player has gone too far or at least told the player being attack, just to ignore the A-hole.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Turn off the chat and do not be distracted by fools :)

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have also noticed, that most of the intimidation ends up being done from the observer chat, more sooner, than later.

It seems to me, that much of it, is done to hide their own weaknesses, not just as a player, but their own insecurities, by demeaning others.

Love the answers that are coming, here.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
Hopefully there will be no players at Cardschat games that allow us all to throw ourselves off balance with their silly, sometimes offensive remarks. I will not say the name, there was one such case at the Cardschat freeroll when a player began to write a lot of unpleasant words and the reaction of others was amazing and quick. A comment was made and a question was asked if this player is a member of the Cardschat community or was accidentally entered:):eek:

P

PEGAMEUALLIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play quietly, he will meet me on the river

U

Ultfrozen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can always block and not read these expressions, on the contrary, I like to communicate with such players and knock them out in the future)

gaarsiass

gaarsiass

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PL
Chips
I have never come across anything like insults, I suspect it is forbidden and may be punished by support.
When it comes to bullying aggressive play is very common, that's poker.

B

Brunokeskara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
style of play

in my opinion, as long as you are the strongest at the table and go through several hands without bleff. then you end up creating a comfort area all you need to eat and everyone running because they are bored with your style of play.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Great question. All sites I play have an option to mute a player's chat. Anytime somebody "speaks out", I mute the player. It's a distractor and meant to be. Pay no attention, mute and be happy! Cheers.

B

booosteeer23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that this is not very good, in a word it is dirty games and not worthy behavior

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love how grown-azz men put an aggressive picture (my fav is the Joker from Batman,lol) to "scare' their opponent,,,, :laugh: cracks me up,everytime. :rolleyes:

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It always sounds funny to me.Monkeys will always exist in our world.They will shout and yell, but I don't know how this fits in with bullying.Just don't pay attention to them.This is your game, not theirs!

CylleP

CylleP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We've all come across those players, who use abusive language, do name calling, and demean other players, and their ability.

Many of the players that try to intimidate others, are using intimidation as a strategy.

I'm looking for opinions on what you think of intimidation strategy.

Here's my strategy. I try not to pay attention to the chat and what they write there.
It's easier to play your game this way

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this behavior is rare among good players, and weak players do not sit in the game for long and lose quickly. I can't imagine how chat messages can be intimidating at all.:)

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am happy with that, my computer is so old, that I have to shut off all animations and chat or other additional things or it will overheat. If someone attacks me, he must think I am either very cool or very intimidated, but I will never know ;)