I'm quitting poker guys, it was a nice time at CC

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because I'm a problem gambler. I wish I could control myself like most of you guys but I can't gamble like you guys can. I'll make it brief but here's my story. I'm now a junior in college (just finished my sophomore year) and I started playing live poker a little over a year ago with friends for microstakes, it was fun and only played like once a week. When summer started, I discovered full tilt poker, deposited $20 and began playing $2 sngs. I had success early on, so that discouraged me from getting a part time job and I kept playing. By the end of the summer I had a fairly big bankroll.

Then the school year started, I began to play poker more and more, within 1 month of the semester I had a couple thousand dollars. Then I began skipping classes, and I started getting this fantasy in my head that I would end the semester with tens of thousands of dollars from poker, I actually believed that I was so good at poker I could do it. I had a fantasy in my mind where I would go home on winter break and buy myself a car, buy my dad a huge expensive TV for Christmas and other expensive gifts for my family and friends. When that semester ended I had two Fs, one C, and one course I withdrew from, not good...And I lost friends and missed oportunities to meet new people that semester.

Anyway, I got my act together last semester (spring 08 semester), improved my grades, rarely played poker, and when I did it was for smaller stakes. I had to put in self exclusions to stop myself from playing often. Went to my first Gamblers Anonymous meeting a few days ago, felt ackward since a lot of people there were double or triple my age, but there were a few people in their mid 20s. And I've realized that I've kinda been in denial, I'm a problem gambler. Luckily I didn't have to hit rock bottom before I realized this tho. gambling is like a sickness to me and I think I'm finally starting to recover. I've been on CC for about 3/4 a year now but this will be my last thread, peace everyone!

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like this is the best choice for you, sucks you can't control it. (personally, I believe everyone can control it, you just have to get into the right state of mind)

Good luck in school, hope you do good and have a great life. Maybe one day we will see you back here again :)

burton_boy

burton_boy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best of luck in life. Remember that only you can truly know what you need to do, but friends and family are a great place to take your thoughts. All the power to you.

smokin-aces

smokin-aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its great to see people realising this problem before they throw their life away, much props to you for doing that. I wish you all the best in life, you seem wise enough to have +EV in whatever profession you get into

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was fun having you here, and hopefully you can continue to control your addictions.

M

moorjames

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm new to the site, but bummer to hear you go anyways. I feel you though on the whole subject. I too have had them fantasies and thought that this could be a new lifestyle. To be honest, I still have them thoughts floating around up there, but they need to be controlled. Like you, I had a pretty good run and dropped 100 bucks into my pokerstarts account, and turned it into little over 2k in a couple weeks, and that was only playing Sat and Sunday. My boss started to get annoying (whos doesn't) so I left for the online world. Only to find out that when you are playing for scared money, things don't look up. Plus I had horrible bank roll management.

But now, I have a different job (way better) and in my spare time, I do the poker thing. I come here to see what everybody else is doing, and to see what I was doing wrong. After a couple laps around the site, I have a better focus on things, but still need some work. If this is the last we see of you, have fun and good luck. The tables will always be here when you feel like visiting.....Keep on trucken':driver:

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker schmoker, school is where its at, get your degree should be main focus. Sure some people do well at both but not many. Your future is in your education and your interests, not sitting in front of a computer screen watching avatars. Wanna be here when you're 50?

Luckily I got my education before all this online dreams of riches happened.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No need to leave CC Ben (unless of course that's part of the program). Personally I think I'll enjoy your posts more if you're not just complaining about bad beats and such. A few posts now and then to tell us all how life is going won't hurt and we promise not to lure you back into the game.

Good luck.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congratulations on catching yourself before you completely ruined your life. It takes a lot of guts to admit to yourself that you do have a problem. Also, despite what people think, poker is nowhere near easy money. There is one system where you can pretty much guarantee easy money. You go to college, get good grades, learn some skills and find a job. They will pay you every payday, no variance at all, the same amount as long as you do the work you need to get done. You will also most likely get a ton more with a real job. Education is definitely more important than poker. I believe I've been able to put poker behind education while still playing but if you can't do that than I definitely think you made the correct decision. As WVHillbilly said, I realize that it'd be kind of ironic to post on a poker forum when you don't play poker, but an update every few months wouldn't be bad. Just let us know how it's going. Good luck :).

A

Adventurebound2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It takes a wise man to truely know himself, his strengths and weeknesses, his positive attributes and negative influences. It takes a strong mind to change those things in life that control one's self in a negative way even though they bring some form of happiness. Count yourself as one of the fortunate few who have the abilities to rise above any negative aspect in life. To focus on education is to create a better future for yourself and it is good to see you getting back to what's realy important to you.

Just remember, CC is far more than some people who chat about a card game. It is a group of freinds and we are proud to have been considered freinds by you.

I wish you the best in life no matter where your path takes you.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, checking in every few months and seeing the "Is online poker rigged...an investigation" thread still here should be enough to put you off staying.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, checking in every few months and seeing the "Is online poker rigged...an investigation" thread still here should be enough to put you off staying.

In a few months, with the way the scandals are flowing. we might all be gone... not a good time to hitch one's star to online poker :angel:

M

massimo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck Ben, stay in school, get your education. Classes can be tough, but man college can be one of the best times of your life. Enjoy it while you can, study hard & get good grades, try to meet new people, and don't blow your future on poker/gambling.

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i guess your M just didn't add up this time. sorry ben, i had to give you one more good rib.

good luck in life and stay in school.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cya buddy.
There's more out there and to life than playing card games imo. I'm glad you've realized it was a problem and want to do something about it. I have a feeling you'll do just fine in anything you want to accomplish. Have a good one :)

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Ben well done on realising you have a problem, good luck for the future and stay srong.

MrMuckets

MrMuckets

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Zachvac said it all and said it well. Good luck to you. :):)

hojediade

hojediade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know what to say about this thread. I guess that most of players have an addiction to the game, no matter what they think about it. I'm used to addiction and able to deal with it.
Addiction is a way of living in our costumer world. Coke's, Burgers, T.V are addictionnal things too and can be as dangerous as the games.
Anyway, i think you will learn how to take control over your addiction and maybe you'll come back here soon, free minded.
;)

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thnx for the replies guys, sure I'll post once in a while on CC to let you guys know how I'm doing, but I definetly can't play poker any more, at least not for a long time until I get my life back on track.

iMaGiN.

iMaGiN.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, this is great you did realize it before you lost a lot more in your life. Best of luck to you in the real world. *reminds me of Rounders, maybe you'll come back one day and win the world series ^_^ haha*

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Good on ya Ben, it takes a wise man to realize his limits, Good Luck with getting your life back on track, hope to hear from you soon.

malice777

malice777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best post i,ve seen o this or any forum in a log time.Brave,Honest,Heartfelt,Sincere.my deepest respect goes out to you,you have made the right decisision,the first step to recovery is to admit you have a problem,It takes guts ad a strong character.I myself am a problem gambler and have been for over 35 of my 48 years,i started gambling as a boy on the horses mainly.It destroyed my life,I lost respect from my family,lost my wife home and children,I havent had any contact with my kids in 12 years and missed them growing up,i have been in prison 4 times and have many criminal convictions for theft,all to feed my addiction i never had any friends as people avoided me like the plague because i always wanted their money.I have over the last 2 years turned my life around,got a good job and recently got promotion to management,all thank to the love of a good woman who encourages me in my recovery,yes i can dabble in poker and control it well but only because my girlfriend limits my budget to a controlable level.when my budget is used i am happy to play in freerolls and thankfully havent had any urges to treat the poker as no more than a hobbly.The fact that poker was never ny thing when i was gambling hard helps i think...
Anyway the very best of luck to you my advise is because poker is your vice dont be tempted to play eve in freerolls for a long time and certainly not unless you have someone who cares about you enough to be tough and say no more!!!

Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
GL in life Ben.

Sounds like you are making the right choice, I am just glad you came to realize your problem before too much damage was done.