If you can make $500 a month playing poker, how would you do it?

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good insights here, I really enjoyed the topic commenting just for the purpose of continuing to follow along and get thoughts and ideas. Thanks.

fang215874

fang215874

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Roulette

My friend, all you need to win is $ 17 a day. Always bet on red and double up.) There will be no better advice.

A

Alexandr_Gazarov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker cannot be considered a job, therefore, you cannot earn money from it

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello. I am very interested to see how folks would or do do it. What a sup to retirement that would be, huh? Thanks!

I average around $500/mo playing MTTs (ave buyin $3.50).

I late reg about 3 per day. :cool:

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm tempted to comment on some of the responses but as it appears you're either trolling the OP or you just really have no clue what you're talking about.

First off, danoscar...
You need to focus on ONE discipline (whether that be cash games , sng, or MTT). I'm guessing this would be difficult in SNG's these days as there's not many sites offering many games (Partypoker it's achievable at micro/low stakes but you'd need to play an IMMENSE volume... far more than I think you can imagine).

Once you've chosen which discipline, you'll need to study and put in some volume.. then study some more.. put in more volume etc.
The thing is, you'd already KNOW if you're able to win $500/mth. income from online poker prior to trying because a) you've managed to do this already or b) your winrate over a decent sample size, playing a game you know you can beat shows that it is more than possible for you (but also keep in mind if you're able to put that amount of TIME into it 'and' that you have a good mental game and are able to deal with variance)

My suggestion without even knowing what games you have experience in would be to play MTT's, start out at $1 to $3 buyins, play them til' you feel comfortable beating them. You'll find a larger % of bad players in micro/low stakes MTT's vs. cash games.

Study, play, study, play.
THen play some more! lol
You really want to be able to multi-table (8 tables minimum should be your target).

To win $500/mth. and assuming you have lots of time on your hands (you're retired right? ... me too fwiw), you can achieve this by playing an avg. buyin of $5 as long as you're making sure to get into as many MTT's as possible that are smaller field tourneys (not ones with 5,000 entrants in them... although I'd play those as well if you're able to play many tables).

For those suggesting you'd need to play at higher buyins to profit $500/mth. is just not true.
And if cash game is your choice to play, you'll get CRUSHED at 50nl games so that suggestion is a really bad one imo. IF you're wanting to play cashgame you'll need to start off near the lowest (or theee lowest) stakes and put in TONS of hands, tons of studying and LOADS of volume! I'd suggest this is a slower way to get to earning $500/mth.

OP,
I am contemplating doing something similar in the not so distant future. I've been planning this for awhile though, lol... but life has thrown some curveballs my way (lots of death in the family this past couple years & my partner is very ill).
Once I get going, if I'm able to help you out in some way, just ask.

FYI, 8 tabling doesn't have to be the answer.

I'm an advocate against "Grinding" at the poker tables.

I play 3 tables max (usually 1 or 2) and I find the balance perfect. Plus my ITM % is over 40%, so game selection is helping. :)

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I am very interested to see how folks would or do do it. What a sup to retirement that would be, huh? Thanks!
Hello, I'd probably be happy to make $500 a month, but I have no idea how to do it with poker! Poker I don't think you can be guaranteed to bring the same amount of money steadily, because you will have a constant swing! I'm a poker newcomer myself and may not know much, but I think to make $500 a month you need a very big bankroll! Most likely I would choose the MTT discipline, you can invest a minimum in it and win the maximum, but for this you need to understand poker very much! I wish you and everyone only good luck and that each of you earns $500 a month in poker in the evenings! Good luck to everyone!

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most important thing in which game mode is best for you and then analyze the limit that you are going to start playing so that you can achieve an estimated profit of $ 500 per month, I think the most advisable thing would be to choose the sit & go mode from the low limits With entries of $ 1, $ 1.50 and $ 2.50, the minimum is that you have 100 entries for each registration limit, the (buyin) we would be talking about that to start you should have at least a bank of $ 250 for you to generate a profit monthly between $ 400 or $ 500 a month with strict discipline and evaluate your volume of play per month the number of tournaments you must play to achieve that profit you want.

About the volume of the game I think you should play between 500 sit & go a month to 1000 tournaments a month between the limits of $ 1 to $ 2.50 at least 150 sit & go weekly to start and at the end of the month you would be playing about 600 sit & go then evaluate and You review how much your profit was and if it was close to your expectations or if you would not have to increase your weekly game volume to 250 sit & go and continue evaluating if you have to raise a little more bankroll or review your game and improve it.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
You need a very strong discipline if you want to win $ 500 every month. A good brm and you should know the game really well. So, as has already been said, play and study over and over again. I would also say to start with the micros. Even in the micros, if you are really good at poker and make it to the ft regularly, you can get good money there. But I don't know you so I can't give you any advice what and how you should play but what is definitely important is that you play what you like where you have your comfort zone. And what is also important is that you always have to expect that you will lose sometimes, no matter how well you play poker and no matter what level you play at.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I'd like to correct this after looking over my statistics.

I average $350/month playing around 60 hrs/month (playing micro MTTs mostly).

I'm currently in the process of playing higher buy-ins to see if I can continue my ROI success. :)

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with the luck I have been having playing lately the best thing I could do with the $500 is buy lottery tickets. I would have about the same amount of luck ther as playing Holdem lately

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lowest limit to make that kind of money is nl10 imo. Full time grinding and decent player can make it.

G

gonzalo1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To win a lot you must be willing to risk a lot, and if you want to see win without "much" risks, you must first know your style of play and enter what you feel safe, so with security and your bankroll you can meet the objective you set for yourself

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it would be a beautiful dream come true to be able to earn $500 monthly. I really don't even know where to start.

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Making a weekly goal would be the best way, or a daily goal. It is difficult to hold the bankroll when everything is going right on a certain day....

balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips

That sounds great, so you play around 20-25 tournaments weekly? And the buy-in maybe like $75 per week?

And you latereg, can you please tell us which tournaments you play? And which poker rooms you prefer, thanks.

nathan12420

nathan12420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would play HU sngs for 1-2$ and grind mtts 1-3$ all day every day, and I'm positive i would make that much easily, unfortunately i live in a state where im very limited w my options.

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's doable in either $3+ MTTs or NL10 with a lot of volume.

That said, making $500 a month would be a LOT easier if live play was an option.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That sounds great, so you play around 20-25 tournaments weekly? And the buy-in maybe like $75 per week?

And you latereg, can you please tell us which tournaments you play? And which poker rooms you prefer, thanks.

Yeah, 20-25 per week sounds about right.

I late reg at the last possible minute any MTT that intuitively appears to be "easy" to cash in. I also will pretty much only play 8 handed games (no 6 max MTTs for me).

Oh, and I really like the R/As.

:)

My ITM % is around 42% and my ROI is 80%. :)

balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
Yeah, 20-25 per week sounds about right.

I late reg at the last possible minute any MTT that intuitively appears to be "easy" to cash in. I also will pretty much only play 8 handed games (no 6 max MTTs for me).

Oh, and I really like the R/As.

:)

My ITM % is around 42% and my ROI is 80%. :)

Great, I guess if you only latereg in the last minute you play the GTD standard tournaments. What about rebuys/re-entries? And is this on pokerstars ? Plenty of tourneys to choose from there.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If this were a challenge what I would do is play many satellites for tournaments between 5 to 55, I think it is the fastest way to achieve it but I have never tried it lol:D:D:p:p:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great, I guess if you only latereg in the last minute you play the GTD standard tournaments. What about rebuys/re-entries? And is this on Pokerstars ? Plenty of tourneys to choose from there.

Yep. I like MTTs that started with 100 - 200 players. Rebuys I play (thats R/As).

Not pokerstars (I currently live in the USA).

I play on Chico (betonline/sportsbetting). :D

K

karaafrika

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Almost monthly, I withdrawn on average $ 300-$ 500 without replenishment and all from freerolls!
At first he played freerolls, made a small bankroll, and then played regular tournaments.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
For me it would be a beautiful dream come true to be able to earn $500 monthly. I really don't even know where to start.
You have already made the perfect start:-

Registering at cardschat! :icon_thum

Utilise all the learning materials, knowledge & experience that is stockpiled in this community, study & analyse as much as you play and you will give yourself the best chance of someday profiting $500+ per month via poker. :wink:

balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
Yep. I like MTTs that started with 100 - 200 players. Rebuys I play (thats R/As).

Not pokerstars (I currently live in the USA).

I play on Chico (betonline/sportsbetting). :D

Good you're able to make a profit there. I have also access to BetOnline and looks like they have some decent micro buy-ins there. So look out for me at the tables soon :D