If you could...

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you could drink a potion that would make you 1% better, or drink another potion that would make you 1% luckier, which would you choose and why?

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ooh; interesting question. I'd choose 1% better though. Luck is cool, but long-term skill wins in poker. I'd want to be 1% better and get long-term results because I'm in it for the long-term! :cool:

p.s. I'm already lucky too, so I'm not really missing out on a ton by choosing the other option here :D

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1% Better. In reality there is no luck in poker its all probabilities. If you were truly lucky then over the long run you would deify the odds and consistently come from behind. If you beat my pocket aces it is probably because I either played them poorly or it is the 15% times that AA loses. I love playing a player that thinks its luck, they often will call when the know they are way behind hoping that they "get lucky", SHIP IT.
And I know I will get hundreds that disagree and say there is luck in the cards. But I would like to see 1 professional that disagrees with me.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1 % better !!! Just because I think poker leans way more towards skill then it does towards luck.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are science fiction writers, everyone continues to believe in some kind of miracle. Believe me, there is no miracle.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
What a question :D
I would go with the luck potion of course , if I want to become better -not only in poker- there is only one way: studying!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since a 1% increase of 0% skill is still 0%, I'll take the 1% luck boost.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I choose a potion to make me better at everything by 1%. If I'm a better person, I'll be happier. The choice here is obvious. It is a pity that this is not possible to do.

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
After some consideration, I think the luck potion is the best play. Here's why:

1) There are proven methods that already exist for increasing skill. So I could use those to improve my strategy and execution. And if I were to do so, I would likely quickly pass the 1% skill edge I gained from the potion. As there is no proven means to work on my luck and run 1% better than expectation, it will have a more permanent impact on my results.

2) There are spots in which I already know the correct play, and a skill edge increase does not make one any better in such spots. A luck edge has impact in every spot where cards need to run out, and at a broader level the type of spots that emerge could be 1% more favorable as well. So in this sense the luck edge will have broader reach, and therefore more impact.

darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lucky.
Consider playing a game of flipping coin for $1 each flip.
You would have 50% chances of win, but with a boost
after 100 games you are richer of $1.
This may not sound like much money but you just need to find a better game.
Think about investing markets.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that 1% means practically nothing in practice. You won't even notice it.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I would take the 1% better because in the long run it is more useful if you are better at poker than relying on luck

blackknives

blackknives

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
luckier, it applies for all things luck related right?

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely 1% better, in the long run a good player will win more than a lucky player although being lucky would make a nice change

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i am good and kind, so i only need luck

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1% lucky for me to win if I need 1 on the river lol

Last edited:
Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I would choose a potion that gives me luck. I just don't need a potion that will make me better.
Good luck.

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I choose luck because we need it too win.......

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would chose being better. Poker is bout the math and long term the numbers will run about even. Being better would be to my advantage.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, luck is more important. My skills depend only on me, and my luck does not depend on me. Although in general I think that the better the player's skills, the better his luck in general.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would take the 1% luck
Thinking everytime i have a % to win its always 1% higher meaning if im ahead in a hand they have 1% less to win cause i will always have the 1% more ;)