I Played Omaha poker for the first time. I played well, but the game is unneccessary.

I

Ishnock

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
( if you don't like sarcasm, exit post now. )

You can only use two cards of the 4 cards that are dealt, so you have 2 unnecessary cards. I'm a minimalist by nature, so I'm against anything that is superfluous.

However, I do like the fact that it is not as aggressive as Texas Hold'em. The game isn't bombarded by constant shoves, and players are less idiotic with their hand play.

I'm not shaming it or putting it down. I just feel its an unnecessary game, because you're still only using just two cards out of your hand. So yeah thank you for the 4 cards :rolleyes:

But hey it was a freeroll and I got ITM....so cheers!!

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Congrats on getting ITM, that's great.

I do like pot limit games, it would be nice to see more pot limit Hold 'Em tournaments.

I do like to play Omaha, it is a nice change when I need it.

So when we play, you would be okay with everyone else getting dealt 4 cards and you can just stick with 2? Just kidding.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
( if you don't like sarcasm, exit post now. )

You can only use two cards of the 4 cards that are dealt, so you have 2 unnecessary cards. I'm a minimalist by nature, so I'm against anything that is superfluous.

However, I do like the fact that it is not as aggressive as Texas Hold'em. The game isn't bombarded by constant shoves, and players are less idiotic with their hand play.

I'm not shaming it or putting it down. I just feel its an unnecessary game, because you're still only using just two cards out of your hand. So yeah thank you for the 4 cards :rolleyes:

But hey it was a freeroll and I got ITM....so cheers!!
Really?? So what about Holdem .....you are dealt 2 cards and up to 5 on the table....so 2 are unecessary, should we just have the flop then and leave it at that? Just thinking....

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha is certainly a different beast. It can be confusing trying to figure out what you have where you have to use 2 of your hole cards. It’s even worse when you play PLO8 and have to figure out if you have a low hand that counts and what can beat you. Certainly not for the faint of heart. Can be a fun break, especially if it’s a freeroll.

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Omaha

Well glad you enjoyed your 1st game of Omaha, I prefer all the different types of Omaha such as 7 card stud, 7 card stud H/L and regular Omaha. Lots more outs in playing these games thus lots more thinking about what your opponents have? Also some pretty nice pots to be won when playing at cash tables as there seems to be a lot of chasers and dreamers.

Like the Bomb pot feature on ACR

Good Luck All ! :D

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to see your post when you play Omaha 5-cards or 6-cards for the first time..lol
I love the regular Omaha, but I have more fun with the 5-card or 6-card varieties, it's a crazy game :)

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Omaha isn't so evil..

If you're used to NLHO, Omaha is a welcome break. You have to consider more combinations in Omaha. Those AA you wait for in hold 'em, in Omaha, they can often be useless, they don't connect to the combinations you need, for example.
Omaha isn't my game, I do like it for variety.

swerdnase

swerdnase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait, what?

Hold 'Em and Omaha are two completely different games, so you can't evaluate them in the same way. Four hole cards may seem excessive to you, but that's only if you approach the game as a two-hole card game, which it isn't.

Also, PLO is often more aggressive than NLHE. Having four hole cards means more players connect with the board, semibluffs are much more frequent, and traps/soft-playing are nearly non-existent.

I

igotnothin4u

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats!!

Congrats on ITM, omaha is the "devils game" for sure. You gotta have skills and LUCK to make it far in that game.

Raccoony

Raccoony

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Omaha is so much different than No Limit Hold'em and can get weird sometimes because of bigger straights,flushes,full houses.But,there are too many No Limit Hold'em tournaments at many online poker rooms and sometimes I like to play Omaha,preferably freerolls if I can find any just to play something different than the usual No limit Hold'em tournaments.

rrickir

rrickir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to see your post when you play Omaha 5-cards or 6-cards for the first time..lol
I love the regular Omaha, but I have more fun with the 5-card or 6-card varieties, it's a crazy game :)

I haven't seen six card? But I have been playing a lot of five-card plo8 lately I really enjoy it. It's a lot of fun I have a site online that I go to just play that game and yes it gets pretty crazy... I don't know how people only stick two regular Hold'em oh, that would guess so boring I think you need to Branch out and play a lot of the other varieties:)

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's not that I don't like sarcasm, I never know when someone is being sarcastic.

I want a few freerolls of Omaha so I can practice it, I find Omaha a lot harder to play than Texas Holdem.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't seen six card? But I have been playing a lot of five-card plo8 lately I really enjoy it. It's a lot of fun I have a site online that I go to just play that game and yes it gets pretty crazy... I don't know how people only stick two regular Hold'em oh, that would guess so boring I think you need to Branch out and play a lot of the other varieties:)

The PLO 6 cards is a new variety of PLO that I recently discovered in poker stars, until now I only find this variety in PS.
I really don't know how people only play Holdem too, I guess it's because they never played Omaha, it's so much fun :D

D

DeuceParade

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha is a great game. Once you play it for awhile it can be tough to go back to holdem. But I still love my holdem too.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Omaha will improve your board reading skills.
When you start to understand Omaha you will realize you need sets flushes and boats to win. Very seldom will one or two pair hands win. Aces have little value unless they are suited, the boards can become extremely wet and you have to be aware of what strong hands beat yours.
If you would like a variety of games with strange rules, try HORSE.

S

sn0112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I stumbled across Omaha via a freeroll and didn't even know the rules. I was soon screaming at my screen as my pocket aces got cracked :rolleyes:

More recently I've started playing a few PLO micro stakes bounty tournaments. I have to say I enjoy it more than NLH!

What I like is that you kind of know where you stand in every hand. As mentioned above, a pair or two pair is seldom enough.

My first proper PLO MTT session was calm and relaxing, which are not feelings generally associated with Poker! After that session I had a new clarity of thought when returning to NLH...didn't last long before I was on tilt again though :laugh:

I haven't tried many of the variants but found PLO8 to be a total mind bender...

"players receive four down cards to start, and must use two and only two of them to combine with three and only three of the five board cards to make their best high hand and low hand. Half of the pot is awarded to the best high hand, with the other half going to the best low hand...not every low hand is a qualifying hand..." :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I played a 6max play money plo8 SnG to get some practice in and I beat it.

I think I might be playing too tight, and I am not sure if my bet sizing is right.

I am going to keep studying it and then move on to BI games to see how I get on

Top 10 Games