I Know It's Been Whispered Before But Durrrr Broke?

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If anything the kid is on a bad swing and it looks like his luck is starting to run out. I'm not knocking the guy because he's a solid player, but it was only a matter of time before his aggressive raise anything with anything style caught up to him. Down 3.5 Million already in 2009!!! That is brutal and I'm sure he has lost atleast 30% of his bankroll in that run. What do you guys think? Now probably isn't a good time for that Durrrr challenge, lol.

The other day AintLuck.com reported on Todd Brunson, son of the poker legend, Doyle Brunson, running into some financial hardships. Now comes word that one of the more popular poker players these days, Tom Dwan Durr, is having a tough go of things during this recession.
From AintPoker.com:
"Among the hottest rumors circulating around the online messages boards is whether or not top online poker player Durrr is in danger of going broke. Railbirds who follow the online high stakes poker games regularly have been astonished to see that over just a 2 week stretch, Tom Dwan has incurred over $3 million in losses. This comes on the heels of the issuance of his controversial open invitation to play anyone at the highest stakes for a span of 50,000 hands. "Though estimated to have earned career winnings in 8 figures, this type of losing has no doubt damaged his bankroll as well as his reputation among his peers.
Many players are speculated that his massive ego will prevent him from stepping down in stakes until he begins winning again, instead opting to take on all comers in the massive stakes in heads up mixed game HA trying to get a quick fix on the leaks in his game.
"As long as Durrr was even semi-conscientious with his bankroll over the years, he should still be able to comfortably maintain his professional status. However, as many former high rollers can attest to, many big name players with money before him have seen their bank accounts dwindle into oblivion, never to attain those riches again.
"Between taxes and this recent losing streak, it will be interesting to see what transpires in regards to his playing habits going forward."
It was just two weeks ago that Durr lost a much publicized $1 million poker challenge to Patrik Antonius.
The online forums were buzzing as Durrr sat down to face Patrik Antonius in a Pot Limit Omaha $500-$1000 match on Full Tilt Poker, thinking it was the beginning of Durrr's Challenege. However, it was not part of the challenge so it was just a preliminary match up between the online poker behemoths. When it was all said and done, Antonius walked away with over $1 million, $875,0000 of which from Durrr's account.
Whether Durr's days are numbered remain to be seen.

Just goes to show you, no one is invincible in the world of poker. It's a game where you have to be at your very best all day every day.

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4mil isnt busting durrrr, still robusto

brianvoytek

brianvoytek

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like I've said before, this kid is all hype. Everyone jumped on his bandwagon because he was doing well. But I said from the beginning, lets see where he's at in a few years.

Hope he builds his roll back up and understands that even If you're a pro, you still need to follow BRM.

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like I've said before, this kid is all hype. Everyone jumped on his bandwagon because he was doing well. But I said from the beginning, lets see where he's at in a few years.

Hope he builds his roll back up and understands that even If you're a pro, you still need to follow BRM.
how do u know that he isnt following proper brm? r u his accountant?

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
because brian knows the kid is all hype....

Put the 3.5 million losses into perspective, he won that much in like 3 months last year, so its not like hes even close to broke

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Put the 3.5 million losses into perspective, he won that much in like 3 months last year, so its not like hes even close to broke
not including stakes and live games where he could have won a lot more.

brianvoytek

brianvoytek

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love all the people who come to his rescue. You can't say anything negative about this guy without someone turning it around on you.

No, I'm not his accountant. But the proof is out there. He plays more online then live games, every pro has said hes not a good live player. Even watching him play Ivey HU in Omaha he was felted a few times and re buyed in the game for about $48,000 when he was sitting on 6 figures most of the night.

I don't know what his count is in his BR, but I'm sure he can borrow. I think people need to focus on players that have been around a bit and let others like Dwan play and stop hyping him. Dwan already has an ego, all the people hyping this kid will just hurt him. He's not that great (from what I've seen) he's an avg. internet kid who had a good streak. Sorry to be honest about it but I'm not one for jumping on the bandwagon of someone who did well in a short period of time.

I respect his game, I respect what he's done but I can't put him over pros who've been doing it for awhile. I know hes young, but lets see how he does in a few more years.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fwiw, grinding from 50nl up to 100knl in 3 years =/= 'doing well in a short period of time'

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love all the people who come to his rescue. You can't say anything negative about this guy without someone turning it around on you.

No, I'm not his accountant. But the proof is out there. He plays more online then live games, every pro has said hes not a good live player. Even watching him play Ivey HU in Omaha he was felted a few times and re buyed in the game for about $48,000 when he was sitting on 6 figures most of the night.

I don't know what his count is in his BR, but I'm sure he can borrow. I think people need to focus on players that have been around a bit and let others like Dwan play and stop hyping him. Dwan already has an ego, all the people hyping this kid will just hurt him. He's not that great (from what I've seen) he's an avg. internet kid who had a good streak. Sorry to be honest about it but I'm not one for jumping on the bandwagon of someone who did well in a short period of time.

I respect his game, I respect what he's done but I can't put him over pros who've been doing it for awhile. I know hes young, but lets see how he does in a few more years.
fwiw, he has probably played more hands than 98% of all live pros, so this arguement that he hasnt been around long enuff, holds no ground

also, the big live pros will never tell a bad player that he is bad

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how do u know that he isnt following proper brm? r u his accountant?

It was just two weeks ago that Durr lost a much publicized $1 million poker challenge to Patrik Antonius.
The online forums were buzzing as Durrr sat down to face Patrik Antonius in a Pot Limit Omaha $500-$1000 match on full tilt poker, thinking it was the beginning of Durrr's Challenege. However, it was not part of the challenge so it was just a preliminary match up between the online poker behemoths. When it was all said and done, Antonius walked away with over $1 million, $875,0000 of which from Durrr's account.

Well I think if he doesn't have at least $20M in his roll, there might be an argument for it.

Won $3.5M in 3 months versus lost $3.5M in 2 weeks is a world of difference.

umm no.

In other news, he's on the list of top winners on tableratings today.

Hardly "In the long run" terminology.

To be fair though, I guess he is experiencing his biggest downswing to date. It will be interesting to see how he copes with it.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't bother taking a look at the link because I'm pretty sure it is impressive reading.
I'm insure what it proves about tomorrow, next week, next month, next year and onwards though.
So let me get your logic straight:

1. We shouldn't look at today, that's short-term
2. We shouldn't look at his long-term past results for the last few months, that's not the future
3. we SHOULD look at the last few weeks because those are bad and obviously not the past or short-term

Anything else I'm missing?

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wtf posting that antonius won 9 buyins off durr means absolutely nothing. In omaha, someone who doesnt know the rules can win 10 buyins off a pro, that means nothing. Also it was a play till someone wins a million freezeout, so it was 50/50 (not really since antonius is better) that either antonius or durr would have won a ton of money off the other

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

2. We shouldn't look at his long-term past results for the last few months, that's not the future
3. we SHOULD look at the last few weeks because those are bad and obviously not the past or short-term

this made me lol

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just a bunch of haters imo
why hate, appreciate

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we still all wish we had/have/will be able to, do what durr has in his short poker career

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Unfortunately you have not got my logic whatsoever, let alone getting it straight. You also appear to have put words in my mouth.
The bulk of my post suggested that considering his poker career is still in progress and not yet over ( that I am aware of ) it would be normal to conclude that there is more to come, one way or the other.

Who said we shouldn't look at today? I know I didn't.
Who said we shouldn't look at his "long term" past results for the "last few months"? ( bit of a contradiction in "long term" and "last few months")
Nope, once again, not me.
Who said that we should look at the last few weeks because those are bad and obviously not the past or short term? Yep, you guessed it, not me.

I have no problem having a decent debate about whatever but please don't put words in my mouth, thx. I thought my post was very simple to understand when I illustrated that because he isn't done yet, the results of his supremacy/downfall are inconclusive. That, is my logic. Sorry if it shocks you.

Benjammn

Benjammn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looking at his profile in the link above, I saw that his most profitable hand was 44. >$300000 in one hand. A-Mazing.

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just a bunch of haters imo
why hate, appreciate

I certainly appreciate. I don't hate. I think what Tom Dwan has done is awesomely amazing.
While I admire his achievements I don't view them wearing rose tinted glasses. No hate in that.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry I guess you didn't say the other things, but Brian did. Sorry for putting words in your mouth, you just had that last post so I quoted it. So I pose the question to Brian. Why does the last few weeks mean more than the last year? Why does it also mean more than today? There's both a more recent short term AND longer term span where he crushes (7.14 PTBB/100 even after the downswing. Anyone here even beating 50nl for that much?)