Status
Not open for further replies.
Bernard Pugi

Bernard Pugi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My question has a situation. I'm just curious about it so I want to ask you guys. :D

Situation:
All in all registered in this Tourney: 4000
Players Left: 9 (including you)

You are left in a table with 8 opponents to go. All in all, you are 9 in the Final Table. You've been through a lot of game to come at this spot. The Prize to be given is $1,401,000 (real money). (remember, this is just a situation)

1st Prize: $700,000
2nd Prize: $300,000
3rd Prize: $200,000
4th Prize: $70,000
5th Prize: $50,000
6th Prize: $40,000
7th Prize: $30,000
8th Prize: $10,000
9th Place: $1,000

The Final Table starts:
You are the BB, the 1st one to move go ALL IN and everyone Folds.
Your card is "AA".

Question::joyman:
a.) Are you going to Call?
hmmm.. A pair of A's is really a great hand. you really have a big chance to win this pot.

b.) Are you going to Fold?
hmmm.. I didn't strive so hard just to lose immediately going home with a thousand Dollars. I want to go more advanced, at least 3rd, 4th, 5th place, or even 1st place. So I'm going to Fold because he might get lucky getting a straight or flush.

P.S. I apologize for this kind of situation, it's so crazy. Well, all I want to know is your "MOVE" in this kind of situation if you really really want the prize.CALL or FOLD? ...and..... I just invented those Prizes:p

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stack sizes, smack smizes! Who needs em?

Vollycat

Vollycat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on what suit the AA is because I won't go in if they are both black...thats bad luck ya know.

Ummm, if you fold in this situation I CANNOT see HOW you even got to the final table.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you kidding? You NEED to call. You have the best hand pre-flop that there is and your chip stack is so low that even if you do call and double up, you still only have 20% of the next lowest stack. At this point in a tourney of 4000 people, the blinds, I am guessing, would be well over your $1000 stack, so you will just be blinded out of the tourney in 10 hands anyway, you need to move.

This would be an entirely different situation if you were a middle stack and this happened, because then you would have a much better chance of just sticking it out and getting a bigger payout, but that isn't the case here.

Any fold from this low of a chip stack, thinking that you are going to move up the ladder by waiting is ridiculous.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you kidding? You NEED to call. You have the best hand pre-flop that there is and your chip stack is so low that even if you do call and double up, you still only have 20% of the next lowest stack. At this point in a tourney of 4000 people, the blinds, I am guessing, would be well over your $1000 stack, so you will just be blinded out of the tourney in 10 hands anyway, you need to move.

This would be an entirely different situation if you were a middle stack and this happened, because then you would have a much better chance of just sticking it out and getting a bigger payout, but that isn't the case here.

Any fold from this low of a chip stack, thinking that you are going to move up the ladder by waiting is ridiculous.

He listed payouts, not stack sizes. Therefore the answer is, it depends.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
imo you are going for 1st.....make the call, then fistpump

btw that pay out structure is rediculous...atleast 9th and 8th

C

confuzd67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Push and laugh, either way you have the best hand when you put it in.

I

Ioreojr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in no questions asked..... you have the best hand starting... let the poker gods decide the rest....

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, with the payout structure listed above, if the stacks are as follows:

UTG: 1,000,000
Everyone else but you 50,000
You 990,000

Blinds 25000/50000

Are you fistpumpers still calling?

Stack sizes matter!

GunslingerZ

GunslingerZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These kind of posts really tilt me.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold. Let the others play bingo. Then play heads up with your mad skilz FTW.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He listed payouts, not stack sizes. Therefore the answer is, it depends.

Whoops, I feel like an idiot now.

Edit to original post: You are right Hillbilly, not enough information and it depends. :End Edit

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You 990,000

Blinds 25000/50000

Stack sizes matter!

This fistpumper is calling and going for the coin :D

Vollycat

Vollycat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You 990,000

Blinds 25000/50000

Stack sizes matter

YES you should call, everyday of the week. The only situation where I can ever see to fold AA when heads up (preflop) is when you are just about to get into the money and all payouts are the same and you are confident you have enough chips to ride it into the money--like a double up tourny where all the prizes are equal.

I'm sorry, but I would consider folding foolish with a capital F. So, Gunslingers comment,
These kind of posts really tilt me.
is spot on.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
YES you should call, everyday of the week. The only situation where I can ever see to fold AA when heads up (preflop) is when you are just about to get into the money and all payouts are the same and you are confident you have enough chips to ride it into the money--like a double up tourny where all the prizes are equal.

I'm sorry, but I would consider folding foolish with a capital F. So, Gunslingers comment,

is spot on.

Calling in that situation would be a HUGE mistake. Against any pp you lose 20% of the time and get $1000. With those chip stack is your current stack is worth about $425,000.

Still taking the chance??

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Standard ICM question. Can't be answered without stack sizes.

ICM Calculator here lets you test different hypotheses if you like

/thread

P

pennnational

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stack really matter your sitting with the best hand pre flop its a no brainer call and take down the pot whats the worst you lose maybe out good game you have a 1000 bucks didnt go home empty or win and have a nice stack now

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling in that situation would be a HUGE mistake. Against any pp you lose 20% of the time and get $1000. With those chip stack is your current stack is worth about $425,000.

Still taking the chance??

If you cant gamble as an 80% favorite,then I am not sure why would play poker. :cool:

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I certainly don't play to gamble.[/quot]

Im not going to get sucked into the"Is poker Gambling"argument.
When you enter a tourney and risk your money,to me it is gambling!

Vollycat

Vollycat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not calling is HORRIBLE. I'm sorry, there's no other way to say it. Stack sizes DO NOT matter when you are an 80% favorite to any other single hand.

Change the scenerio...He limps and you just check. Flop comes, 27K rainbow...now what? Do you get all in? Oops he hit his set and you're out. When is it time to "gamble". You put the chips in when you have the best of it, and when you hold AA against one other player YOU HAVE THE BEST OF IT. This is sillyness.

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not calling is HORRIBLE. I'm sorry, there's no other way to say it. Stack sizes DO NOT matter when you are an 80% favorite to any other single hand.

Change the scenerio...He limps and you just check. Flop comes, 27K rainbow...now what? Do you get all in? Oops he hit his set and you're out. When is it time to "gamble". You put the chips in when you have the best of it, and when you hold AA against one other player YOU HAVE THE BEST OF IT. This is sillyness.

Agreed :cool:

V

vollski69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am am going to call becuase you dont get many chances to get in with that hand so you have to take advantage

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Standard ICM question. Can't be answered without stack sizes.

ICM Calculator here lets you test different hypotheses if you like

/thread

What part of "/thread" was unclear?

The above answer allows you to compute the appropriate +$EV action based on any combination of stack sizes you can come up with. It will sometimes be to fold and sometimes to call.

You guys should really play with that tool and learn how ICM affects your decision in late games. Playing tournaments without knowing ICM is more or less the definition of a fish...

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What part of "/thread" was unclear?

The above answer allows you to compute the appropriate +$EV action based on any combination of stack sizes you can come up with. It will sometimes be to fold and sometimes to call.

You guys should really play with that tool and learn how ICM affects your decision in late games. Playing tournaments without knowing ICM is more or less the definition of a fish...

You didnt answer the question presented!
Are you folding the poket aces pre flop with the example givin?

Status
Not open for further replies.