I hate the term "Donkey"

Huck45

Huck45

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I freaking hate this name! I don't use it to describe any player, (I may use MFer or something similar) and It has become the most used word to describe unconventional or LA play.
Occassionally "Donkey" is used by players to pacify themselves because that removes any responsibility for their bad play. I get PO'd a lot when my strong hand loses to a lesser hand. I do know that I made the right decision and got my money in with the best hand and over the long haul, I will win money.
We've all been there. Say you are playing ABC poker in the early stages of a tourney and have built a better than average stack. You are in late position and the plyr to your right makes it 3x the big blind. You look down at 7-10s and smooth call. The flop is ten high and gives you a flush draw, Your opponent leads out with a bet of considerably less than half the pot. You think your ten is good and raise. He or she calls and the turn is blank. Another round of betting and then your opponent hits his queen on the river, but that gives you a flush. You cripple your opponent.
You're gonna hear it. " I hate FT, f-ing donkeys, "you suck". I would be PO'd too, but 7-10s wins that 39% of the time and improves to 87% on the flop i mentioned.
We see how sexy the play is of guys like Gus Hansen, "any two cards". We all agree that playing the players with rags and winning nice pots is exciting and er... fun!
Mixing up your play with LA play is not donkey play. If you play like this too often, you spew off your chips, but once every few rounds is good play and fun.

jstabloak

jstabloak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you, that term is wierd. Another term I don't like is "suck-out". Sounds gross.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most over used word in poker is "sick". Everything is sick nowdays its lost its meaning, I see it so many times on my tables usally used on a hand thats not sick. There are two words I have never used ever in poker is donk and sick. I find its the spewtard players that use these terms more than the decent players, but then again I am playing the micro stakes:D .

T

tonydamage

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
donkey!
joke:)
honestly, who gives a crap about what other players on the table have to say? definitely not someone who plays poker seriously/for a living (e.g. multi-tabling online pro)
if you are tilted and affected by some random guy on the other side of the world calling you a donkey, you are either an insecure teenager looking for validation OR you are indeed a donkey.
my 2 cents

icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Words/Phrases that are overused in Poker...

"Sick" (see above)
"Donk/Donkey" (see above)
"One Time!" (so annoying)
"Gross"
"Luck Box"

The_OG_Rocco

The_OG_Rocco

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I freaking hate this name! I don't use it to describe any player, (I may use MFer or something similar) .

LOL!

I guess using MFer may sound better than using the term Donkey....

NOT!!! :bike:

D

dkee18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that the term is used to cover up your own bad play. Sometimes, the other player (me, too sometimes) just decides he or she wants to gamble. Recently decided that I wanted to play 5,9 suited. The pot was raised pre-flop, but the BB was only $20 so I figure I would call a $100 bet. Flop came 3, 4, 9. Preflop betting didn't indicate a big hand so I pushed all in (felt like gambling). Won the hand with 99 versus 88. Of course, I got called a Donkey. My response was that "hey, you are the one who called an all-in with 88". Who does that make the Donkey? lol

Went on to win that tourney by the way.

Last edited:
KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to sharkscope players who use the term "donk" or "donkey" in the chat box.

The ratio of losers to winners is about 4:1

V

venividivici

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is sick, you mofo donkey, omfg, lmao :D

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Words/Phrases that are overused in Poker...

"Sick" (see above)
"Donk/Donkey" (see above)
"One Time!" (so annoying)
"Gross"
"Luck Box"

God one time and luckbox annoy me so much more than donkey. I think name calling is pretty much a sign of the opponents maturity. If he has none, he will probably get pissy when he feels he should have won the hand.

Poker is a game of odds, if your cards are ahead it doesn't mean you are unbeatable. If you can't handle the ups AND DOWNS of poker then its not for you. enough said

shrtstakatak

shrtstakatak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling attention to bad play by getting angry and calling names, i.e, donkey or luckbox is, in my opinion, just tapping the glass.

Let the fish be fishy and don't let them know you know they're fish. I will sometimes compliment the win when I know all too well it was a horrendous play that was rewarded with chips. Positive reinforcement for bad behavior, that's poker, baby!

DO NOT TAP THE GLASS!
DO NOT FEED THE FISH!

Paranormal

Paranormal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool:

Attachments

3 KB · Views: 11
C

Concon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont care about what other people say... if people use the word donkey it doesnt affect me at all. Just keep playing my game

FatBasset

FatBasset

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My least favorite is when the person who is behind in the hand when the money goes in puts multiple "whooots" into the chat box along with two or three of their railers. To me that is as obnoxious as the people who call other players names. Taunting is taunting.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you see really stupid plays, one after another, on various streets, from someone who gets lucky or sucks out, and then plays another stupid hand OOP and loses, then goes all in next hand with nothing and wins, that person is a donkey, or fish (depends on how you see things), or late for supper. Usually donkeys are so called because they suck out on you, starting with stupid openers with no reason to do so... fish get their just reward an pass their chips over to u. Whether u point it out or not is up to u.
BTW in Euro play, I believe the term is 'muppets,' but that may just be Anglo/Irish usage.
I agree some players like Hansen can play brilliantly with any 2 cards, but that is not donkey play.

Last edited:
P

PokerPlayer06

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally dont think there is anything wrong with it . It is just a term, in poker. I guess it can also depend on the person and how he or she feels about it. I suggest not to worry about it though and not let those people bother you

Huck45

Huck45

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BTW in Euro play, I believe the term is 'muppets,' but that may just be Anglo/Irish usage.

Hey, can you verify that in Euro play they use the term "muppet"? That's funny and pretty descriptive. Great! Can I still say they are and f-ing muppet.

Huck45

Huck45

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's okay to be pissed off and not go on tilt

Some of you guys kill me! There are a lot of posts on here that say, "I don't let what other people say bother me" or "just focus on your game and don't worry about what other people say" I get that already!
I never lost a game or made a bad play because of any chat comment, but some things piss me off and I am not always happy go lucky, PMA, joy to the f-ing world about it. I get mad, clinch my fists, shout a few expletives and get on with my game/life. Try it sometime.:banghead:

P

playme1979

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
got to remember if your not suking out on someone then your not playing poker

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most over used word in poker is "sick". Everything is sick nowdays its lost its meaning, I see it so many times on my tables usally used on a hand thats not sick. There are two words I have never used ever in poker is donk and sick. I find its the spewtard players that use these terms more than the decent players, but then again I am playing the micro stakes:D .
A sick hand is K8 8 being clubs and the guy going allin and hits a str8 flush with just an 8C :eek:

my view is you can make jokes better with donkey then you can fish.. "should you be in the barn eating hay" LOL Tho i have yet to be called it when i knock someone out:p tho i do use it here and there and its only when i lose with a big hand... What would you like???? green horn??? like on a fishing boat???;)

J

jaymorin123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i actually like all these poker terms, they go good with poker i guess or maybe im just so used to hearing them and thats why they sound normal...

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Geez---I dunno---I quit calling people names inna 6th grade!:p