HU Championship TV Poker Educational...

BrentD22

BrentD22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was so impressed with Jesus Ferguson during this years HU Championship. I know he is a great player, but I've seen some very questionable moves when he's been on PokerSuperstars (stupid structure though on PSSuperstars - all-in fest).

Anyway Jesus was down 7-1 in chips and came back to win. It did take some bad plays by Jonathan Little, but it was impressive how patient Jesus was.

Usually when I get short stacked like that I get too impatient in the past. Watch TV poker has made me a better play due to learning how patient I need to be. Just because I have 10BB's doesn't mean I have to play crazy and hope to get lucky. You can really be more patient and pick my spots better depending on the situation (who is on my left and how have they been playing ect.).

Watching this hole tournament on TV has been so educational when it comes to HU. Watching online HU is tuff cause no hole cards. Watching HU of big tournaments does help either cause they tend to be all-in fests. The HU tournament was extemely interesting.

PS - On a side note... I started watching Dario when he plays HU and it seems like he just plays SUPER aggressive and trys to get lucky. I've never seen Dario slow down or anything. I've seen Dario reraise when reraised with K7o with an ace on the flop. To me that doesn't seem like smart HU poker. It seems more like I hope he doesn't have an ace and I am going to rep it. Oh crap the guy had an ace and now I'm screwed kind of poker.

KidFlopadelic

KidFlopadelic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PS - On a side note... I started watching Dario when he plays HU and it seems like he just plays SUPER aggressive and trys to get lucky. I've never seen Dario slow down or anything. I've seen Dario reraise when reraised with K7o with an ace on the flop. To me that doesn't seem like smart HU poker. It seems more like I hope he doesn't have an ace and I am going to rep it. Oh crap the guy had an ace and now I'm screwed kind of poker.

I used to think this of him too, until I won a chance to play him HU for $1K and beat him last November on PS! Before the match, I watched him for a few days multi-tabling 4 or 5 1K HU games! I am incapable of multi-tabling when playing HU, so he was a bit intimidating to me. I assumed he would start gambling once the game started going too long. Anyway, after the first 10 minutes, alot of ppl from my forum started to show up and rail me and he joined in and started talking some smack back to them! It all got too distracting for me, so I muted chat and we played for 58 minutes... talk about nerve-wracking! Playing HU for almost an hour, I have to assume he was "trying" to beat me, so I'm proud of my win. He trapped me a couple times but I sniffed it out and saved some chips. One of my favorite online poker memories!:D sorry, had to blow my own horn on this one;)

BrentD22

BrentD22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My point exactly

I used to think this of him too, until I won a chance to play him HU for $1K and beat him last November on PS! Before the match, I watched him for a few days multi-tabling 4 or 5 1K HU games! I am incapable of multi-tabling when playing HU, so he was a bit intimidating to me. I assumed he would start gambling once the game started going too long. Anyway, after the first 10 minutes, alot of ppl from my forum started to show up and rail me and he joined in and started talking some smack back to them! It all got too distracting for me, so I muted chat and we played for 58 minutes... talk about nerve-wracking! Playing HU for almost an hour, I have to assume he was "trying" to beat me, so I'm proud of my win. He trapped me a couple times but I sniffed it out and saved some chips. One of my favorite online poker memories!:D sorry, had to blow my own horn on this one;)

That just proves my point. He plays super aggressive. I've seen him raise with K7o pre-flop reraise $500 to $1500 with a board of AQ3rnb. He was then reraised to 10K and he called. It was then checked down to the river with AJ guy winning the hand. That is kinda odd?

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see how that story proves your point. He does play aggressive, often reckless but he gets results. I was surprised to see he was highest rated online tournament player couple of months ago (at that time). Maybe he's able to hit the brakes enough that his steals are worth it and when he does have a hand his opponent can't give him credit for it.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see how that story proves your point. He does play aggressive, often reckless but he gets results. I was surprised to see he was highest rated online tournament player couple of months ago (at that time). Maybe he's able to hit the brakes enough that his steals are worth it and when he does have a hand his opponent can't give him credit for it.

(Assumes we're talking about Harry Potter, not Jesus)

I think it all depends on when you were watching him play too, and against whom in what situations.

I've read interviews with him since last year's wsop where he says he's actually toned the blind aggression and recklessness down a bit, as too many people had caught on and worked out that if they just gave him enough rope he'd end up hanging himself. It definitely happened to him during the Main Event. So it could be that his strategy has changed over the past 9 months or so.

iMaGiN.

iMaGiN.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My boy Wasica lost...very upset. Gus is doin pretty damn good though!

BrentD22

BrentD22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obs he has results, but I feel the way he plays is reckless and I'm sure he's won some monster pots by getting very lucky that if he lost he might not be one of the biggest winners online. This is true for many, but he seems like a lot of the "pros" you hear about constantly going broke, building back up, and then going broke, over and over. Although I'm sure he is doing just fine with some endorsement money from PS - ect.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obs he has results, but I feel the way he plays is reckless and I'm sure he's won some monster pots by getting very lucky that if he lost he might not be one of the biggest winners online. This is true for many, but he seems like a lot of the "pros" you hear about constantly going broke, building back up, and then going broke, over and over. Although I'm sure he is doing just fine with some endorsement money from PS - ect.

who is the 'he' that you are referring to here?

BrentD22

BrentD22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Correct.

Watching him for the last several days and each day I am less and less impressed by what I see.