How Did You Get Into Poker?

demesquita

demesquita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The concept of poker (5 card draw) was introduced to me in the beginning of the 90's at my teenage years, just for fun, no gambling, just the concept and I haven't played much.
Later, back in the 2008, I learned about Texas Hold'Em and THAT was the game changer. A few friends and I started playing at small known friends house, tournaments not cash, and things started growing and soon we had about 50 people playing on round plastic tables, with felt sheets we bought, and things started getting serious.
Eventually when poker got legalized as a mind game in brazil, a good friend and I started a "poker store" - the first one at our town - at a mall with 8 tables which we would promote 3-4 tournaments every week (cash games too, obviously).
We chose to chose te store later but we still play from time to time at other stores that opened after ours. Now, online only.

Entrik

Entrik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was sitting with friends drinking beer and they were playing poker and one offered me to play poker, well, I learned to play nothing in half an hour and raised a good amount from friends! :) :) :) That's how I sat down on it !!! :) :) :)

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was hooked by the widespread TV and internet commercials from the pre black friday era. Back then online poker was completely unregulated, there was ton of sites with freerolls everywhere so there was no way not to try playing even if you don't have any money.

Hootz

Hootz

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I played a ton of different card games as a kid, but I'd never seen poker played until I was maybe 12. At that time I wasn't taught too much about the betting part, being as we were kids just playing random card games out of bordom. Poker reminded me of an alternative to yatzee back then lol, but I was taught such a simplified varient butchered by a kid lol. I can't even remember how our rules worked without the bets lol.
But I eventually got hooked once my bf got me playing poker on xbox, & then all it took was to play 1 online match. Even though the money was still just pretend, the competitive aspect had me fast addicted. I've played almost every poker game offered through xbox. Using real money, the 1st site I tried was called PKR, (prob 10 years ago now) which is no longer open.
Took me forever to try any other real money games, for about the last 1½years been playing frequently (888 & pokerstars) :icon_colo
:love: love playing poker! <3

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wanted to make money for a car, but something went wrong

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In 2006, when I was 60 years old, a friend invited me to join his home game that he had just started up a few months earlier. I had NEVER played before and since the stakes were low, I agreed to give it a try - as a part time substitute. I have been a member of the group ever since. Nobody bothered teaching me, because they all wanted my chips. I learned on my own, with videos, TV, and then some books. To this day, we continue to play, online now, until it is safe to play our live game again.

C

chuckycheese

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my dad taught me everything I needed to know. huge mistake on his part I was probably 15 and now I am 75. I wish I had every dime I lost, but I sure wont quit now.

FlushyFab

FlushyFab

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
When I was a little kid my big brother showed me how to play 5 card draw. Then when I was growing up I would watch the pre moneymaker wsop on ESPN. Then rt when I graduated HS I saw Moneymaker win the WSOP and then the WPT started on the travel channel and it was a wrap. Poker has peeled my interest ever since.

fruittree

fruittree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Started playing in the 60's @ about 10 yrs old. Then a regular game with neighborhood kids starting in jr high

Miguelpaniura0893

Miguelpaniura0893

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At dawn by espn they placed poker tournaments from there I started to like it, then I played it on facebook for like 2 years for fun, and sometimes play live poker with friends, it is a simple and fun game where you can lose too much money and time .

navicula

navicula

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know poker because of a friend. Until now, I play as a hobby.

luckyhenri

luckyhenri

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of my friends was earning money with poker, making a living off of it some what. I was maybe 16-17 years old, I was impressed. I started playing play money poker. When I got 18 years old I started doing real freerolls, I am happy that I chose to start playing poker, I am having a lot of fun.

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Brother-in-law got me into paying. Kicked my butt so many times, I decided to learn and fight back. Even field now.