How to turn off after long poker session?

B

BasTid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was replying to another thread and it reminded me of one questions I have yet to find an answer for.

How do you turn off after a long days poker?

I have found specifically playing live but also happens in online that after a long days playing poker I find it hard to winding down. I tend to reply hands that I did not do well in, how I could of avoided bad beat X or should of have value betted more in hand Y.

I have seen guys turn to drink and in some cases drugs (no judgement) however I have seen the effects this has the next day and reliance on these grow over time.

So I ask you all, what do you use to turn off after a long session of poker and if you do use alcohol or drugs what how do you it in check? Or do you think someone should even be playing if it causes this kind of stress on their system?

I'm really interest to hear all your thought on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Drumsound

Drumsound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have trouble turning my brain off in general. Its been a big part of being a borderline insomniac for the better part of my life.

For me its all about distractions. I usually fall asleep on the couch with the TV going. And when I do actually go to bed, I put music on. When I find my mind racing, I focus on the music and count beats, or something like that. It gets me away from my thoughts of hands, or conversations, or the next day's plan, or a client meeting, or upcoming gig, or whatever else my brain is going on about.

I'm also not the type that can come home from a late night and just go to bed. I need that wind down.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There

Agree with previous post
Nothing like a cool beer, a TV and a couch
If you are with someone the better
Rgds

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi mate.What I like to do after a long session is watching some tv to relax.It works to me.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play Chess! Watching a movie! I have an Account in the social Network Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki, Twitter. I live there! I'm fine. Poker for me as entertainment, on a par with CS, Chess.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ideally, it would be completely changing occupation, like having excercise or socializing. That may not always be possible, but not logging into poker rooms certainly is!

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't usually have a problem turning it off. No alcohol or drugs necessary. Just move on to something else. When my brain says it's tired of playing, I try to listen. Once the last game is over I log-out immediately. That's probably the only time I don't self-critique after a hand. Close & go. Compartmentalization is key.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yoga and reading a good book.

malitoxdk16

malitoxdk16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have 2 ways to turn off my mind .. I play CSO and I also watch series on the sofa, comfortable rest ..

neontuning

neontuning

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do other things like play, hang out, have fun, talking about after a big tournament, but the way is to rest even. Turn off the brain kkk

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I definately smoke quite a bit of pot ... but other than that I like to play some video games to wind down and let my emotions cool off a bit. I have also found working out to be a thing that works to help me wind down after a session, a good late night jog or weights can get that pent up energy out and let your body relax.

Try some things, find what works best for you. Will be different for everyone

Tunkki

Tunkki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Listen peaceful music and lay on bed or couch

riverlizard3

riverlizard3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
relax

Like some of the other opinions , when Im finished I like to plop down watch tv or have music eat and then Im about ready to crash.

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The life after a poker session.

It is important to lead a balanced life when you dedicate many hours to poker, in order to keep sedentary or stress away, and also giving rise to other personal occupations.

Personally I don't let my sessions end at night because this affects my sleep, Once I finish the session I move away from any screen (TV, PC, Smartphone) because it is not healthy to leave playing poker and sit and watch TV or Facebook, finally I do my exercise routines and end with a good bath. In my opinion this is the recipe for success.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no drugs no alcohol related to poker, every hobby needs to be limited by the pleasure degree it gives, dont spend to much time on it except it is your job

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Reading is great. It needs your full attention and it wont raise or keep up your alertness that much. Especially before you go to bed reading is so much more healthy than watching tv.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Obviously, sometimes it is better to take a break than day-to-day forcing yourself to keep playing. For me the break has always been helpful. After the break, I gradually increase the load and in 1-2 days I completely regain my strength.

P

pokerdebit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand your situation.
After playing for a while you kinda get tilt and you regular start to become bad
I suggest to take breaks, like a day break after 2 or 3 days playing poker.

And also rest is important. Sleep well, like 8 hours everyday.
When you wake up after a good night sleep, you will feel like a million bucks

Your diet is important also. A lot of people under estimate this.
But a good healthy diet give you more sustainable energy and it keeps you alert.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I do not use alcohol and drugs and do not recommend anyone. I have never heard of successful players using drugs and alcohol. I play poker for fun, so after the break, I can easily start playing again.
Good luck.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes when i directly go to bed after session (which is frequent because i play after work usually) it takes me some time to fall asleep but generally it is not a problem. Maybe it is because i have worked many years at night shifts and there you either learn to sleep at any time and place or quit. Anyway you can try following approach:

1. Get out from the PC or leave the phone
2. Open a bottle of beer (just one maximum two)
3. Listen to some music or watch some TV while drinking the beer
4. Go to sleep after you have finished the beer

:)

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I go to rest, I disconnect the poker of the head and I will enjoy with the wife, I will run and think about other things.
That way I can get distracted and then I think about the hands I played, the bad ones I took and studying what happened in the tournament. More this only after about 2 days

stepper

stepper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First i must go to smoke , next maybe i drink some bear and i thinks why i call this hande, i try whait to hetter hands.. Why why why hahaha :p

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
that depends of the person to person.

I use to hit gym really hard and excersize a lot, but now I cannot do this anymore.
I do take my weekends for morning fishing rounds.
Take my stuff, go to the river or lake close by and relax.
Every time when I go to the river, I am relaxing, and I do not care if I catch something or not.
Thats not important in my oppinion.

Thats my stress relief.

Especially after long stressfull week at work, (I am in IT support), and that helps me to relax, re-charge my batteries and be qualm.
:)