How to play poker in general

Jay R

Jay R

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you’ve ever watched “pros” play poker you realize there are some sick puppies who play poker with little regard to probability. It seems somehow they have lots of money to play with & are not afraid in the least to lose it.
I’m watching a game for big money & the players are talking & laughing and are playing 2-7, 3-9 hands you’d normally fold. They think it’s hilarious & if they win even more so. Ofcourse they seldom win, but they’re undeterred.
So when you’re playing poker remember the big players more than often play stupid hands not just out of the big & small blinds. They often have NOTHING. So play good cards & don’t be afraid to hold your ground.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I always follow my strategy and my strategy is very simple. I don't play with junk. I'm just waiting patiently for good cards.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Such players hope for a bluff. But do not forget that the card may not go at all, then you have to look for a chance with a bad hand, sometimes it goes straight or two pairs, set. In fact, any hand has a chance to win.

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The core of poker is bluffing! This is the whole point of the game. If you play only with good premium hands, you will never win anything! Therefore, the pros are quite adept at using junk hands in their arsenal.

srurrr

srurrr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think check raises are effective for them. And I think you should play this so that it doesn't become a calling station.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's better not to play with such players at all. Otherwise, stay without pants. They are not predictable in the game. If there are a lot of them at the table and you are alone, then one of them will definitely knock you out.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I always try to wait for the best possible hand, but sometimes you have to play with inferior cards. But I think there is a big difference between people who are beginners in the game and the pro's a pro knows what to do with the inferior cards. A beginner not therefore I also believe that as a beginner you can learn a lot from the pros. But things like bluffing are mainly learned through experience and beginners are strongly discouraged from doing this if they are still learning to play poker

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At its core, poker is a game of math (probabilities). Part of the probability equation is what is our opponent going to do, not just what cards are we going to get.

Of course knowing what our opponent is going to do is no easy task. But the player psychology and tendencies are certainly an important part of the game.

I agree with the first post in this thread, that I don't understand why some of the "pros" appear to be ignoring the math of the game. The folks that I have played with that are very aggressive are certainly able to build a big stack of chips, but they rarely can hold on to them for very long. Our game must consider both the cards and players. We cannot play a game that only considers one or the other. Just my opinion.

Good Luck and God Bless

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with the first post in this thread, that I don't understand why some of the "pros" appear to be ignoring the math of the game. The folks that I have played with that are very aggressive are certainly able to build a big stack of chips, but they rarely can hold on to them for very long. Our game must consider both the cards and players. We cannot play a game that only considers one or the other. Just my opinion.

Good Luck and God Bless

My answer is that they're doing it for image purposes. If you're a very tight player, then playing a 27o or a 93s occasionally is TERRIFIC for your image if you can actually get to showdown with it. :D

By showing down junk hands, the pro's image will now be "capable of making moves with any two cards at any time" and from a "game theory optimal" standpoint, there's no better note that you can have on yourself. If this is your image in your opponents minds, then chances are you are well on your way to being a winning pro player yourself.

But nobody is making such notes for me (I'm quite certain players notes for me contain the words "nit", "rock", "solid", etc hahaha). This is merely my own take on it. My goal is to become one of those players, but I don't pay for a poker coach and I don't run a HUD and I don't dabble with solvers... so I have no legitimate expectation of ever being one of those players. I play for fun and enjoyment, not to become rich at this game. Best wishes all!!

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then what prevents you from sitting at the table with these players and beating them if they play so badly? You will not understand what and why they are doing. Not everything is as simple as you think.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a difficult game. At micro stakes it is important to be able to play ABC poker. At high limits it will not be enough. Poker is not about picking up solitaire.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Position is just as important as what cards you have!

C

ChuckNola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This can be applied to poker. Be balanced in your play. Be aggressive, passive, loose, tight, nitty, and be a call station sometimes. Be well rounded Be balanced Daniel San

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yeah, it's very curious to see this kind of game, it's hilarious to tell you the truth. You might think something like "wow, this is crazy", and it really is. Jaajajaj

davidjavi31

davidjavi31

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is the truth, you simply have to stay in the good game without fear, there may be cases that we win with inferior hands but all that is part of poker, I always say that we must measure the results we achieve in poker in the long term.

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you’ve ever watched “pros” play poker you realize there are some sick puppies who play poker with little regard to probability. It seems somehow they have lots of money to play with & are not afraid in the least to lose it.
I’m watching a game for big money & the players are talking & laughing and are playing 2-7, 3-9 hands you’d normally fold. They think it’s hilarious & if they win even more so. Ofcourse they seldom win, but they’re undeterred.
So when you’re playing poker remember the big players more than often play stupid hands not just out of the big & small blinds. They often have NOTHING. So play good cards & don’t be afraid to hold your ground.

I don't think this is a good advice, because it can happen one or two times. I think it's quite the opposite. Big players are big players, because they are good at odds calculation. They bluff of course, but they are so professional at doing it that it is very hard to catch it. So better not to create this thought patterns.

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The thing is the players at the higher level are playing the opponent more than the cards they're holding. They know others tendencies and play in position more often to be last to act so they can exploit their opponent. At higher stakes there are some sickos, but remember, the stuff you see televised, like the big cash games are generally designed around entertainment. You have to be balanced at that level of play other wise you will get run over and exploited. They are some sickos. Just play your game and do what works for you, don't go chasing waterfalls. Stick to what you feel safe playing if your bankroll can handle it. Good luck.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the advice for a live game. I think playing online is no different. I will add that to play live, you need to read books on the psychology of poker, which will give you a slight but advantage.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
get good cards, win lots of chips, be lucky in big spots and be there at the end. Cannot win the tournament in the first hour, you must be there at the end :)

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I say you don't have much chance of winning a mtt, for example, if you expect to play only very good cards because your opponents find your style of play and won't pay you anything when you bet, you have to try other variants and be present in the game

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I consider myself a beginner so I try to play pretty tight. I believe that such a strategy suits me best. However, it is obvious that players who have extensive experience can play a much larger range of hands in different situations.

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I say you don't have much chance of winning a mtt, for example, if you expect to play only very good cards because your opponents find your style of play and won't pay you anything when you bet, you have to try other variants and be present in the game

Understood. I will keep this in mind, making as hard as i can for my opponents. Thnx:)

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

If it has happened to me many times to lose with marginal hands and you have to accept it, it is obviously part of the game

k0k17

k0k17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now in vogue all-in is the hands of 2 7, which the streamer launched as a challenge:mad::D