How to overcome laziness?

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a balanced life is very important. Mixing life up with pleasures and hard work. One of the ways that I can help myself if I am feeling lazy, is a reward system. I decide my goals/tasks for the day and decide on a reward that I get when I am finished my tasks. I even use poker as a reward - maybe there is 1 hour before a tournament is starting so I decide what I need to get finished before I can play it :).

Start out with small tasks so its not overwhelming and you can accomplish them easily, then it will feel positive and a reward in itself to have gotten the task complete.

Sometimes we can each get in a rut, could be depression or other health issues, but sometimes we just need to start with small tasks to get out again and back to a normal.
We also just need to enjoy those lazy or relaxing moments too and not beat ourselves up while we are in them.

Life comes and goes far to quick, to not be able to enjoy lazy pleasures along the side of rewarding hard work.

Robsant

Robsant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this pandemic it is difficult not to be lazy

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me inspiration

you need to like what you do

you must know your WHY

igroksash

igroksash

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You just need to do what you love.

AQA272

AQA272

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Tomorrow is the only day in the year that appeals to a lazy man.”
–Jimmy Lyons-

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
most talented people are lazy I'm just saying

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Work through it, more you do that, easier it is.

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I blame it all on the virus, nothing to do but eat and sleep as far as beating it is JUST DO IT don't procrastinate on what small jobs u have

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sleep, rest. Eat right. Rest your mind.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I am lazy too about some things. :) It is natural.
Only serious goals will take away your laziness and you will easily
achieve something. You need to have goals and passion for something and then suddenly laziness will disappear. ;)

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Coffee

I drink enough coffee to get me off the couch.

C

casique31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When something interests us, we look for a way to achieve it. Maybe you should not ask yourself how to overcome laziness but rather look for something that really encourages you, that way you will start your engines and laziness will disappear

7thseal

7thseal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I set short term goals and try to achieve them before realizing my long term goals. Other simple tasks such as doing repetitive physical activities. Things like scuba diving keep me in the land of the living. Having sports as part of my daily routine motivates other parts of my life. It like greasing a big wheel in motion. Don't ever let the action stop or one will become placid.

Last edited:
Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Laziness is not difficult compared to dullness and lethargy. You can overcome it with discipline, setting a schedule, respecting it, finding a goal and striving to achieve it. :)"Do not postpone today's work to tomorrow".

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that laziness does not exist. If you think that you are lazy, just lie down and do nothing, and you will see that it is very difficult. Perhaps you have depression or vitamin deficiency, or fear of performing an action, and so on. And this is completely different.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
With discipline by setting small daily or weekly goals in the form of a personal challenge, also combined with exercises such as jogging, with that you create new habits that little by little you are leaving laziness.

R

romamirr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is necessary to overpower myself, I think. Everyone has bad days when they don't want to do anything, but it's always very hard to live like this.

T

tonymin562

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think sometimes taking a break helps.

amatola

amatola

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The same way you manage to not poop in your pants.
You make a decision not to do something anymore.

That's it. There is no magic.

Now, if you are "lazy" (your term not mine, as I don't like the term) because you fear failure, rejection, disappointment, etc. That isn't the same thing. In that case, go get some help from a mental health professional.

Otherwise, just make your decision to go do X and then do it.

Sometimes we don't do what needs doing because we "don't care". And that is fine too. If it is a matter of priorities, and you value your down-time, great.

But in the end, the problem is with the term lazy. The term is full of judgement, basically saying that how you value your time is fundamentally flawed and what you decide to do with it is below some accepted standard. Well **** that! You decide what is important. Be honest with yourself and others. Don't be a dick about it or anything. But you only live once, and if reading a book by the fire, or catching sun on the beach, or watching football with a beer (or playing poker) floats your boat, then do it... just do the thing that actually gives you some modicum of joy and/or excitement.

In the end, it is all about priorities. If you truly want something. Get off your butt and go get it. Dreams don't fall into people's laps. They are worked for. If you want a dream, go buy a lottery ticket. Many people say they want to learn a language, play an instrument, visit some faraway place...but never do. They just SAY they want stuff. What they mean is they want to be GIVEN stuff. Big difference.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

Really good post -