How much is your standard raise and why?

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my case it's between 2.2 and 2.5 BB. It is low but I feel that if I bet more I filter the hands of my opponents and I like to let them enter with weak hands. Also, when I have a big stack I'm a bit loose so I bet little saving some chips. And you?

V

Vander44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best advice I was given. It’s always better to be aggressive especially with premium hands and don’t let opponents call with weak hands make them pay to play these cards. I usual bet 4x big build and add another big blind per limper.

Same with a 3 bet. Re-raise atleast 4x amount that is raised.

And use position to your advantage. Raise more often in CO and BTN postions. Good Luck on the felt.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Best advice I was given. It’s always better to be aggressive especially with premium hands and don’t let opponents call with weak hands make them pay to play these cards. I usual bet 4x big build and add another big blind per limper.

Same with a 3 bet. Re-raise atleast 4x amount that is raised.

And use position to your advantage. Raise more often in CO and BTN postions. Good Luck on the felt.

Thanks, I will try to use your advice

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have actually reverted to an older style of 2.5x or slightly more to punish all the people that defend these days. I think it has helped my game quite a bit.

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I raise 4x just to weed the hands out that shouldn't be in. I have lost too many times just betting the minimum. you learn as you play more.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the overall feel of the table. Some tables play tight, some loose. Sometimes one player can go on a heater or get tilted and change the entire mood. Sometimes the table sets the limit. If everyone opens for 4bb and you open for 2bb, you're not going to get respect, and vice versa. I usually don't change my open once I've landed on it, but have when the table has changed.

With that said, if opening I'm usually 2.5bb-4bb. If I can accomplish my objectives at 3bb, why bet 4bb? If 2.5bb isn't getting it done, ect.

Pepitcho23

Pepitcho23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always bet 3B if i want to raise.
Never bet too much.. we never know what can happened.
Even with AA or less

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
I don't have a standard raise size.

Bet size is determinant of many factors: My image, opponents behind, position in hand, time of mtt, my stack size, my opponent's stack size, strength of my hand, type of game, purpose of raise.

Generally I keep it simple if I have premium hand like AA I go around 4X. If I have hands that play well post flop in multiway pots I go smaller like 2.2X. From that I adjust accordingly based on the factors above. Example if let's say average stack is a shallow 20BB I go small like 2.2X or if I have AA and calling station on my left still to act I 5X it.

Bet sizing is very important in online poker as we don't have facial or body expressions to read. Normally one of the best thing we can get tells from is bet sizing.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
UTG 2x, BB/SB 3x, all other positions 2.5x. If someone has already opened and I want to raise, the 3bet will be 3x their lead.

There are a few circumstances where I will open slightly differently but I almost always stick to these sizings as to give no indication to the strength of my holding.

My open-bet sizing is based on position, not hole cards.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It depends on many factors. But in any case in poker everything is relatively, so it is difficult to give a specific answer to your question.

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. RAISE TO BUILD THE BANK. 2-3 BB. The size of the raise must be such that the opponents can call it and do not fold. 2. RAISE TO DISLODGE THE OPPONENTS FROM BIDDING. 3-4 BB. When you have a strong combination. Raise is done so that opponents are unable to see the next card cheaply or got rid of their cards, not completed combinations. 3. RAISE TO bluff. 2.5-3.5 BB. The trick is the bluff. Raise should not be too high, but not too low.

C

Cesum Pec

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to open larger, 5 or even 7 BB, but I read a book and started opening at 2.5 -3,5BB. this builds a good pot for drawing hands and allow others to raise me if they have premiums. And if I have premiums, or good buffers, I can go over the top.

On an aggressive table, I might end up folding my open at times, but that trains observant players to reraise me. That pays me well when I do have super premiums.

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
60bb+3bb open
25-60 2.2 bb open
15-25 bb 2 bb

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My standard raise is 2-3 BB plus 1 BB for each limper.
Also, the size of the raise may vary depending on your position: a raise from the early position is 2.5-3 BB, the average position is 3-3.5 BB, the late position is 3.5-4 BB. Here everything depends on the experience of the game.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. Beginning of a tournament and deepstack +50bb:
By default, my raise is 3bb +1bb for each limper, but if the table is too calling station, I use a size of 3.5bb +1bb per limper.

2. Intermediate stage and stacks between 40-25bb:

I use a standard size of 2.5bb +1bb per limper, but if the table is still too calling station, I keep the size of 3bb +1bb per limper.

3. Intermediate stage - Final phase, where the blinds are already big and the average stack is -35bb:

Raise standard of 2.09bb +1bb per limper.
If I am with -20bb and the table is tight, I give 2.09bb and if the table is calling station, I give open-push.

Also, I never vary my size according to position or hand.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't have a standard raise size, it depends on many factors, but usually from 1/3 of the pot to pot size

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Open raising is a balance between not giving the BB a good price to defend and realize his equity, and not losing to much, when someone behind put in a 3-bet. So in tough aggressive games, where people mostly fold or 3-bet, a relatively small size like 2,5 BB work well.

The mini-raise is typically giving BB to good a price to fold, but in the late stage of tournaments, where stacks are very short, it can work, because BB cant really afford to invest anything in getting involved in some marginal spot out of position with a junky hand.

In softer games, including the early stages of tournaments, 3BB is still a good standard open size to use, and sometimes you can even go larger than that, if people are really calling stations, and there is very little 3-betting going on.

In online games I would not advocate staggered bet sizing like going larger with your very big hands. I think, in todays games, bet sizes larger than 3,5BB really stick out, and most players understand, what they mean, and dont make many mistakes against them.

But if there is an absolut goofball at the table, and especially at very low stakes like 2NL, you could still experiment with it. If he is going to call 5BB just as much as 3BB, then why not go to 5BB, when you have aces or kings and want to build a big pot.

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Bet size.

Good afternoon everyone, my raise depends on the size of my stack, depends on the tournament phase, the beginning of a tournament with 20/40 blinds, if I am in UTG, with AA, if I do 3x, I will take many calls, then I tend to make bets bigger than 3x, already in the final of a 2x tournament, I think ok, maybe even limp depending on the position and my cards is not a bad move.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my case it's between 2.2 and 2.5 BB. It is low but I feel that if I bet more I filter the hands of my opponents and I like to let them enter with weak hands. Also, when I have a big stack I'm a bit loose so I bet little saving some chips. And you?
hi hi
i study poker a lot try improve... my teachers, references and other players generally agree 2.2-2.5bb... it nearly unanimous
BUT i also know that 95% of all poker players are losers
so maybe when all those losers agree on a tactic... maybe we need be suspect?

R

Riversalmon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually bet 3x and 4x with premium hands. Any bigger than that is too big unless there is lots of donks at the table

shane4050

shane4050

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pay to play always read the table and bet accordingly except with big hands ;)

K

KALUGAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
Before the flop, I try to reissue all limp players, sometimes it does, but it's a lot of hidden hands​