How Much Would You Have to Earn in Poker to Quit Your Job?

E

El_Matt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Why should I quit my job? Luckily, I have an interesting job and nice colleagues. Maybe I would reduce my working hours down to 25-30h/week, but I wouldn't quit my job even if I would become a multi-millionaire somehow.

Finding a job that is fulfilling and that gives you joy should be one of the goals in your life, not building a fortune.

C

cowboybebop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would never be enough because in poker you can lose everything overnight. My job is pretty secure, and even though i dont make much money, i have enough.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
$1
I haven't worked in 3years.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Hmmm, it's hard to say, but considering I'm not a spendthrift, I think $ 100,000 would be enough to quit my job. :)

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I don't consider poker as the main income. In my opinion, there should always be a balance between poker and other activities.

Z

zapadlol

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You don’t have to give up ANYTHING, you need to become an MDR and that’s it!

R

ruco72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great!

There are many things to consider:

- Do you have savings to cover 6 months living expenses
- Does your poker income consistently exceed monthly job income (because of variance)
- Can you handle huge downswings to your bankroll
- Will you be tempted to dip into your savings for poker
- Can you return to a career later or will quitting ruin all future job prospects
- Is online poker future proof i.e. whats your long-term plan if the bots solve it
- Do you know the format (NLH, PLO) and the games (cash, MTT, SitnGo etc.) best suited to you
- Can you handle the added pressure of playing poker to pay the rent - this will change the entire dynamic of the mental side of poker for you
- Can you work from home/part-time alongside poker to ease the pressure
- Do you have dependents or family relying on a steady, predictable income
- Do you need to demonstrate regular income (from a job) for formal reasons, such as applying for a mortgage

I'm sure that you have considered this and many other factors unique to your situation. It's not a choice that should be made on a whim. This article is very insightful:
https://www.blackrain79.com/2020/09/...er-player.html

These are great points to consider!
These points set the dream apart from reality and force you to really think about what poker should be for you.

Kennemelo

Kennemelo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still think that the most enjoyable form of poker is a paid hobby!

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
I wouldn't quit my job even if I would become a multi-millionaire. I like my job. But it's O.K.. If I win $10 million I quit. I know that never happens.

Stringy

Stringy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
i mean i wont give up my job for poker, but may switch jobs if i win something like 200k +

Pawlowski

Pawlowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't quit my job because of poker, but if I win around USD 3 million, I would consider to change job or open a new business

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The problem is not making enough but what poker would become if we did make enough. Poker is a relaxing "OK not always" enjoyable and fun game to play. If I was making enough to quit my job then Poker becomes work.

G

Gakcards

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There are people that only play poker. This is the only income for them. They dont have other job. If you have above 1 million $ , then i think its ok. Less than that its quite risky and you become more stressed while playing and when you lose.
You should always try to invest in something and not have the only income from poker

sweet_danutz

sweet_danutz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on your job, I would not give up my job even if I earned $ 1,000 a month

H

hcuervo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Here in argentina, at least one million dollars to stop working and devote himself exclusively to poker. how nice it would be:D

Papadejro

Papadejro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, I'm working in family business, so I think that there is no enough money to earn in poker. Maybe some big wins could change my perspective.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It will depend on many things, first the cost of living in my country is 250 dollars a month, with that money you could live modestly, but I know that in other countries you can not live with that amount of money, that's why it is very debatable about that, but what if you must be clear is that it does not depend on the amount of money you have to earn to quit your job, it will depend on the quality of player you are to convert the results to another level.

Mortis

Mortis

Skeleton Crew
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
When your poker income beats your salary.

I would add "consistently" to that. If I could prove that I could make 1.5x more than what I make now for at least a year, then I would consider it.

But I'm happy with my day job, and happy being a part-time poker player.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
$750 to $1500 a month would be enough to quit my job and become a poker pro

"Poker is an unpredictable game, with the turn of one card you can become a millionaire. And with the turn of the second card you can become a beggar"

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my job is watching after my elderly mom

and i barely beat the tiny online games .earning a decent amount is very unlikely
!

J

jesusali1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an excellent topic, the truth is that to quit my job I would have to earn at least 3000 dollars a month, because that is the minimum I would earn in a normal month, but as there are times when I lose then I prefer to leave poker as a fun game in my life.

T

Twags0811

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
More than i make now

I think to quit my current job and play poker for a living I would need to make at least 1k per week. I just spend too much money lol.

B

benrasberry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would need to make a lot of money to convince me to quit my 'normal' career. Poker just doesn't have long term security IMO.

I guess I would have to make like 250k a year to quit. This would also just be necessary to hedge the risk that comes with a game like poker, plenty of pros have good years followed by a bad year or series of bad years.