How Much Would You Have to Earn in Poker to Quit Your Job?

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would consider the macroeconomic level of the country you residence (or work).

In Ukraine, we have about $220 minimum salary per month, which is about $1.2 per hour. Having fun with poker with, say, $2+ per hour is not bad for many compatriots. Easy. Sad but true.

Of course it's a matter of "stack" you "play" with at the "table of life".

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
5k$/month and I won't think of a job or a new business but my main problem is not being able to stay put for long sessions like 8 or 10 hours

igroksash

igroksash

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I had at least $ 1,000 a month all the time, I would probably change my job to playing poker.:bandit:

Last edited:
C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you earn the same money as in your job then you can quit your job. That's how i see this.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Too much variance for me to consider this option. Difficult to win also. No guarantees.

TCHUCO2005

TCHUCO2005

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The salary here is R$1210.00 around $200, which is not enough to support a family during the month, so we are always chasing the machine.

DanS87

DanS87

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Living in the UK, it would need to be a very substantial amount per month, say £7.5k+. This is not just because of the cost of living and so forth here.

I'm one of those extremely lucky people that actually thoroughly enjoy their job (PHP/Web Developer) more than just for the money. I also really enjoy the company and the people I work with as well.

I've actually had this conversation with my other half and friends, even if I was to win the ridiculously large Euromillions lottery jackpots (upwards of £100m sometimes), I'd still want to stay in that line of work, even if it was working part-time, unpaid at my current place just for something to do.

T

TomCj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It Don't take Much

Since I'm retired, it only takes a dollar for me :p

Wouldn't mind making a few hundred, or more, a month, though

TC

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would probably never quit my job to be only a poker player, at least not an online poker player because I think it's a very lonely job. I would only consider to quit my job if I win enough money to don't need to work at all for the rest of my life, which I think it's almost impossible to happen..lol

F

FlushKings311

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker for Life

Poker feels like a job(part time), I play like 3-4 hrs a day...if I won some enormous loot...I would still carry on like I do today ...I'm not one to quit anything

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Win a prize pool of over a million.

ghitocarcia

ghitocarcia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
in my country working as a master craftsman in wood working 10 hours a day. I earn an average of 500 dollars. that's when I work a full month off on Sundays.
but since work is scarce, sometimes I get 200 or 250 dollars. I don't have a permanent job
so I want to learn to play poker and be content with taking out even 500 dollars a month
It's hard I know but there we are putting desire.:eek::eek::eek:

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When your poker income beats your salary.

ATL2000

ATL2000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just need one big score for a couple million.

Then we open up a few Chick-Fil-A locations and retire. :cool:

B

Beniciokgm

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't earn a lot, 500 thousand dollars I would stop working and try to join a poker team and become a professional

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If I averaged $1000 a month for a year, and managed to accumulate a bankroll of $12,000 (12 months at the above average) I might consider quitting my job. That's considering the current dollar exchange rate in my country. which is 1x5.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It should be the same math you would use for any job move. If poker is your income, then it should pay as much as any other job you would leave your current job for.

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have to earn at least $1000 per month

olfabiolo

olfabiolo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would be a dream to one day be able to live just from poker of course

W

waynaldo009

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would quit if I made 80 000 a year.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It helps if you own your house first so you don't have mortgage payments. Then you just have to know how much to cover your costs like utilities, food, insurance (health, car, house, etc) and transportation costs. It helps if you have other sources of income like passive income so you're not dependent on your poker winnings (especially when you're starting out) something like rental income, YouTube channel income, stock dividends, bond interest or just google "passive income" to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Its a fun idea but grinding hour after hour in a chair with the same people or the same type of players day after day after day (especially live) might not be for everyone. A lot of these players don't last or they move to other reliable sources of income after awhile. Just google some of the TV players from the poker boom and you'll see a lot of them aren't around today. There are stories of folks pawning their wsop bracelets, online and even the best players of their generation going broke like Nick Dandolos and Stu Unger. So, there are so many pitfalls to avoid.

If anyone really wants to do it then I suggest they ease into the idea and look for passive income to help get your through the rough patches especially when you're starting out.

vonabruch

vonabruch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, now I earn about $850 a month, I live in a provincial town in Russia, I have loans and a mortgage. I live paycheck to paycheck. To quit work and start stable only poker, I think from $ 1000-1500 per month, I would think:angel:

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$300 will be enough for me to quit my job.

B

beatlebug

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I could earn like 500 dollars that would be enough although I am retired. It is not easy to earn that type of money. I do try although I do not earn that amount. Good luck to all.

Beatlebug