How much luck do you think is involved in poker? Well now you know.

T

turby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait, guys. This is a context of cash games right? Not tourneys.. with rising blinds/shove all ins...

If it's CG, then.. bringing up arguments about wsop and tourneys are irrelevant. You're gonna enter into a situation where you're gonna have to shove. There's where luck counts.

Basically, one assumption operating here is that you're good at playing post-flop.. which I'm not :s

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait, guys. This is a context of cash games right? Not tourneys.. with rising blinds/shove all ins...

If it's CG, then.. bringing up arguments about WSOP and tourneys are irrelevant. You're gonna enter into a situation where you're gonna have to shove. There's where luck counts.

Basically, one assumption operating here is that you're good at playing post-flop.. which I'm not :s

Shoving also involves skill.

drgilbert4

drgilbert4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wish I could get lucky once in a while... I am always in the hand when my opponent catches the one and only card in the deck that beats my hand!!!! Luck is a major factor in LOW STAKES poker. The skill levels are usually so bad that the players are always trying to catch any draw.

G

Grinder101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the thread, I'll read the article if I ever wanna have a good laugh.

C

crowhui

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would love to think poker is pure skill game,but sadly,i think it's around 70% skills and 30% luck

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thread gives me hope.

palku

palku

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quite surprising indeed. Poker to me is all about guts. You can bluff your way out and win games. No guts no glory.

On the other hand knowledge of a bit little psychology helps.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This study is a fail on so many levels. On the other hand, as a political statement that poker is a game of skill maybe it works because the people it targets are even more moronic poker-wise than the authors of the study.

theskillzdatklls

theskillzdatklls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dumb article, skill just depends on the # of hands you play. its impossible to put an exact %... b/c its irrelevant w/o more info.

N

Nukking Futs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I can agree with betting taking down alot of the tables before a showdown. but I would of liked to see them do a studyof only hadns that went to a shown down with either preflop ot after the flop all in's. I think in online play in these sitiuations I run into so many people that get lucky. I do agree that often times there is alot of skill in the game but after the shove it is all luck.

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play 6-max and win right about 1 out of every six pots, give or take.

There's some skill in bluffing. There's a lot more skill in getting a lot more out of the pots you win than your opponents do on the pots they win.