Is This How Much It Takes Become A Poker Pro?

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no denying how tough it is to become a high-level poker pro. There is also no denying how much computers and the internet have changed the availability of information and resources (not just for poker).

I got to thinking, do so many poker pros now wear glasses in part to how much time they spend studying poker (or playing online poker) in front of the screen?

I realize that many of the "big name" pros are now older in age (and more likely to lose eye sight by natural causes), but there are a lot of players with regular glasses (not to be confused with sunglasses for defending against tells).

Here are a few...

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no denying how tough it is to become a high-level poker pro. There is also no denying how much computers and the internet have changed the availability of information and resources (not just for poker).

I got to thinking, do so many poker pros now wear glasses in part to how much time they spend studying poker (or playing online poker) in front of the screen?

I realize that many of the "big name" pros are now older in age (and more likely to lose eye sight by natural causes), but there are a lot of players with regular glasses (not to be confused with sunglasses for defending against tells).

Here are a few...

Phil Hellmuth, Daniel Negreanu, Fedor Holz, Mike Matusow, Anotnio Esfandiari (more in next post since apparently we can only upload 5 pictures at once)

Attachments

• PokerGlasses001PhilHellmuth.jpg
    PokerGlasses001PhilHellmuth.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 63
  • PokerGlasses002DanielNegreanu.jpg
    PokerGlasses002DanielNegreanu.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 63
  • PokerGlasses003FedorHolz.jpg
    PokerGlasses003FedorHolz.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 63
  • PokerGlasses004MikeMatusow.jpg
    PokerGlasses004MikeMatusow.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 63
  • PokerGlasses005AntonioEsfandiari.jpg
    PokerGlasses005AntonioEsfandiari.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 63
Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Here are a few...

...Phil Laak, Scotty Nguyen, Jamie Gold and I'm sure lots of others also wear glasses I didn't mention...

Attachments

• PokerGlasses006PhilLaak.jpg
    PokerGlasses006PhilLaak.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 59
  • PokerGlasses007ScottyNguyen.jpg
    PokerGlasses007ScottyNguyen.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 59
  • PokerGlasses008JamieGold.jpg
    PokerGlasses008JamieGold.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 59
MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It doesn't matter if you are a professional player or not. But if a player spends a lot of time playing and studying, then he just needs to do certain exercises to train and strengthen his visual muscles, and it only takes 15-20 minutes a day.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It doesn't matter if you are a professional player or not. But if a player spends a lot of time playing and studying, then he just needs to do certain exercises to train and strengthen his visual muscles, and it only takes 15-20 minutes a day.

Just curious what you recommend...other than eating carrots I mean :D

p.s. As for my part, I spend enough time in front of the computer screen; whenever on the computer, I wear special glasses that cut down on the amount of harmful "blue light" screens give off (the glasses do not impact your vision otherwise and they do not darken the screen like sunglasses do; wearing them "looks" the same from your perspective).

D

dukgen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can it be attributed just to old age, and aging eyes? I'm sure light sources like computer screens, or poor lighting conditions while reading can attribute to vision loss.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can it be attributed just to old age, and aging eyes? I'm sure light sources like computer screens, or poor lighting conditions while reading can attribute to vision loss.

Age or lighting I understand, but that wouldn't account for THIS MANY poker players at the top with glasses would it? That is the point of this thread...I suspect that how much poker study and software these pros require to enhance their craft (at this top level) is the reason we see so many with glasses. I think it might be in part due to how much time they spend in front of the computer screen; not necessarily is this a bad thing, but just that this might be a hidden signal of how much work it takes to get to this level of play.

C

crabcruncher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just curious what you recommend...other than eating carrots I mean :D.

An eye doctor told me to take a certain vitamin and to spend fifteen minutes outside to get natural sunlight. I havent done it, but might try it.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I have also been wearing glasses for over 10 years. But I started playing poker about 4 years ago. I believe that it takes years of hard daily work to become a professional.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

If it is not easy to reach that level it takes time and study in many aspects, if it is true there are several players who wear glasses ... the game itself ... in long tournaments they are exhausting in every way and many hours. apart in front of the computer the eyes are tired ... greetings congratulations on the 1st place in the cardchat tournament ... in 2020

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it is not easy to reach that level it takes time and study in many aspects, if it is true there are several players who wear glasses ... the game itself ... in long tournaments they are exhausting in every way and many hours. apart in front of the computer the eyes are tired ... greetings congratulations on the 1st place in the cardchat tournament ... in 2020

Thank you :) I've been fortunate enough to have many cardschat MMT wins since then, but yes, that first game will always be a bit nostalgic for me :cool:

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Just curious what you recommend...other than eating carrots I mean :D

p.s. As for my part, I spend enough time in front of the computer screen; whenever on the computer, I wear special glasses that cut down on the amount of harmful "blue light" screens give off (the glasses do not impact your vision otherwise and they do not darken the screen like sunglasses do; wearing them "looks" the same from your perspective).

There are many different specialized techniques and exercises. Try to find this information on the Internet, it is widely available.

hutzpaf

hutzpaf

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Finnish high-stakes players don't wear glasses :) (only in this picture)
The answer to the question can also be found here. Have you watched these 3 episodes? -->

Last edited:
Piligrin66

Piligrin66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that you can become a professional poker player in 2-3 years, games, but 1 out of 20 K players become real professionals, since it is not enough just to learn how to play poker correctly - this is from God, not everyone is given a subtle mind here, luck and intellectual ability to play are not given to many.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that this is a myth for visual impairment, it is not necessary to sit in front of the computer a lot. Especially after playing poker.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there are a lot of factors, a lot depends on how you work on the game, of course, if you play poker 7-8 hours a day + you have a good coach, then the results will come quickly, a lot depends on how quickly you manage to win some big a tournament so that a bankroll for medium and high limits appears, if this is a cash then there are also many nuances, some pass the limits very quickly, and some have been playing the same thing for years, wearing glasses does not affect this in any way

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, it is not easy at times when you have a bad streak and it becomes very stressful.
but it is only an obstacle to see if you can achieve it

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I watched Last Call; thanks for sharing :cool:

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Here are a few...
I wear the blue block reading glasses whenever in front of the screen. I believe it helps.