How much do you think you know about poker?

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Interesting thread and it was pretty entertaining to read some of the replies :)

I don't like to rate myself and even after playing the game for 10+ years I still feel that I have a lot to learn about the game, I mean poker is always evolving and we need to constantly put the work away from the tables to improve our chances to win...

Good luck at the tables everyone $$$

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My results show that I know poker well enough. My bankroll is growing and I think I'm working in the right direction.

yango

yango

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be very honest, I could say that I know a 5 because in the end I didn't get to study or prepare to win in the tournaments but still you have to wait for good hands to get better, so because of that situation I have to think that the best players also have good hands because it is always that way only with cards and knowledge we could win.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I am confident enough to say that I have more than basic knowledge. But the thing is, there is always something to learn about poker. New hand analysis or just watching other people play helps improving your skills.

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that I know about poker 5 from 10. I need study more about maths, strategie and cash game 😃

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is very complex and you never finish learning everything, even finishing learning, the game evolves and the old no longer works, in short, it is constant study to be a winner

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know for sure that I don't know much about poker but I have enough of my knowledge not to lose. Otherwise, I would have gone deeper into my knowledge..

annaannawy

annaannawy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
MA
Chips
Not that much,when I play cash game,sometimes I don’t really know what are they thinking ><

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I would say a 7, I always try to look at the positions at the table, the blinds that I have and the amount that the other players have to know if they can bet everything in one hand

ScoobyNL

ScoobyNL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NL
Chips
I learn poker but you never learn enough, there are always new situations you have to deal with :

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am interested in knowing how many cardschat players have knowledge of strategies, positions, blinds, rivals, etc. From 1 to 10 how many do you think you know about poker?

This question is difficult to answer within the scale of 1 to 10. It's almost identical to the doctor asking you to rate your pain from 1 to 10. What accounts for my own personal relationship with pain? How does the doctor know what MY 9 out of 10 is? Do you see where I am going here?

The question is a paradox for me, and I will try to explain.

The key to long term success at poker is the process of continuous improvement. As a player, you never stop looking for areas to work on and for further spots to exploit in opponents. For me, I am continuously analyzing my MTT game selection and my "quantum strategy" which ensures that I am staying on pace with the math that I know will equate to profit. Essentially, I am always monitoring my game to be self-aware enough to diagnose when I am off my game/practice. This is it!

So if I were to say something like, "I am a proven long term winner, so I must be a 9/10 or even a 10/10" would be foolish. The moment I declare that I KNOW poker, I no longer know poker. ;)

For me to say that I'm only a 6/10 or 7/10 would also be foolish, because it implies some level of mediocracy in which I am THE SAME as the average player (I don't believe I am).

The moment I say that I have a proven system, it is outdated. ;)

I have found success with studying in areas OUTSIDE of poker, because the analytical approach is only one angle to look at this game from.

I think I will always be a "7/10" on the scale of "poker knowledge" because I honestly only know what I don't know. I don't know how to gain 100% control of the outcome of 1 game, nor should I! I don't know why players focus too much on specific details of the game that are not necessary. I don't know why more people don't try to "transcend" the game of poker, and play the quantum MTT game which lies behind the scenes for 90%+ of the players. I don't really know anything! :)

F

Foxie12340

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am interested in knowing how many cardschat players have knowledge of strategies, positions, blinds, rivals, etc. From 1 to 10 how many do you think you know about poker?
I’ve played for years and only know about half as much as I should...I’d give myself a 7 rating though.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel that I know a lot about poker in my level, but in the other levels I feel that I have a lot to improve, it is not the same playing micro limits than playing in nl 50 and above, the metagame changes a lot, that is why you have to study a lot, for that you have to seek professional help to go far in this sport that is one of my favorites and I think for many it is the same.

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
how much a person knows about poker shows his results, for example, I play in the negative, therefore my knowledge about poker can be 3/10, those who play zero can have 4 or 5/10, and so on, it all depends on the person, someone reads books about poker or hires a coach and goes ahead, and someone is standing still
We are about the same maybe 4/10 not to the level I want but with hard work I know I will be a 7/10 then I will be happy

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We are about the same maybe 4/10 not to the level I want but with hard work I know I will be a 7/10 then I will be happy
if, along with the desire to work on it, the result will come, there are no questions here, you need to learn, read, watch and put into practice, I am currently studying preflop

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Just need time to study maybe after I win a big Tournament I can commit my life to poker till then just trying to get better

EnzoRS94

EnzoRS94

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I would say 6/10, there is still much more to study and learn for me!

DanS87

DanS87

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Easily a good solid 3/10... I still have an absolute ton to learn and improve. That said, like with most things, for the standard Joe Bloggs I don't think you could ever know it all

B

BrunoRenan96

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Acredito que 7 de 10, jogo mais de 10 anos, estudei um pouco, mas ainda não tenho a consistência que gostaria de ter.

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every time at the table, I think I know a lot about poker, I'm ready for different situations and draws, but poker surprises every time. I still have a lot to learn.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Given that we are not talking about a static knowledge, if my rating is 7/10 today for instance, it could go down to 5 or even 4/10 within a couple of weeks and maybe back up to 6/10 a few weeks after that. It all depends on how much time and dedication we are putting into learning and improving...
I have to add that the above said applies more to online poker considering the huge amount of info and stats available that added or made more sophisticated many poker concepts..

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know some poker I have won a few online tournaments but I consider myself still a beginner and ready to learn a lot about poker.

C

cowboybebop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know very very little about poker mostly because i am very very lazy to do the work and study the game. I think i know maybe a tad bit more than just the basics of the game, but im definently not someone you ask for help when it comes to poker.