How Much Would You Have to Earn in Poker to Quit Your Job?

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would be enough for me to earn$ 5,000 a month in poker so that I could quit my main job.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Honestly, even $ 1,000 a month would be enough for me and then I would leave my main job without thinking.
Good luck.

KasyakoFF

KasyakoFF

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
guys, I'm from the republic of Belarus! the average salary in the country is about $ 250. here's the answer))

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
I'd do it for 1k per month. But its an absolute pipe dream heh

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure there's an amount of money I could make from poker to quit my job. With cost of living and health care and to support a family and continue to contribute to retirement funds while living in a larger city in the US I would want to consistently make 20k per month for at least 2 years before taking such a risk as quitting my job. Since this is a fairy tale, I'll continue to work and play poker with my free time lol.

Now if I was retired living in Cota Rica or something with no kids to support and minimal expenses maybe I could start to dream big.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure there's an amount of money I could make from poker to quit my job. With cost of living and health care and to support a family and continue to contribute to retirement funds while living in a larger city in the US I would want to consistently make 20k per month for at least 2 years before taking such a risk as quitting my job. Since this is a fairy tale, I'll continue to work and play poker with my free time lol.

Now if I was retired living in Cota Rica or something with no kids to support and minimal expenses maybe I could start to dream big.
That and I personally couldn’t concentrate if I relied on cards to make a living, Chris Moneymaker won the wsop and went right back to his job. I would only quit if I was at some kind of unique celebrity status where I could sell books or TV appearances to hock a product lol or make great enough money prior with investments where money wasn’t an issue. There are very smart business minded people that can do that, but as for cards only? I wouldn’t quit my job for healthcare reasons alone for under 200k a year (and then of course you pay for quality healthcare) It is just a non-reality to me. Honestly most “gamblers” I have ever met in life live in tiny boxes..constantly struggling. I am not saying it can’t be done, but it is a mirage to think it’s some easy money..there is nothing glamorous about living off of poker IMO. The balance should be love the game and love having full stability, again this is my opinion and each person sees things very differently.

Also, I have been acquaintances/friends with some huge celebrities working in entertainment in my past and Jesus the problems they have has made me never want to reach a level of fame like that. I suppose in poker you could find yourself only playing high stake cash games and stay on the low, but I doubt you could ever really make fantastic money on the low, but perhaps it is being done. I love the game, and want to make just enough money to enjoy life and avoid all the other stress and BS that can come with “big” money/fame.

On a scale of 1/10 of poker success I want to be at a 5..more like 4.6 lol

Last edited:
S

sn0112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many things to consider:

- Do you have savings to cover 6 months living expenses
- Does your poker income consistently exceed monthly job income (because of variance)
- Can you handle huge downswings to your bankroll
- Will you be tempted to dip into your savings for poker
- Can you return to a career later or will quitting ruin all future job prospects
- Is online poker future proof i.e. whats your long-term plan if the bots solve it
- Do you know the format (NLH, PLO) and the games (cash, MTT, SitnGo etc.) best suited to you
- Can you handle the added pressure of playing poker to pay the rent - this will change the entire dynamic of the mental side of poker for you
- Can you work from home/part-time alongside poker to ease the pressure
- Do you have dependents or family relying on a steady, predictable income
- Do you need to demonstrate regular income (from a job) for formal reasons, such as applying for a mortgage

I'm sure that you have considered this and many other factors unique to your situation. It's not a choice that should be made on a whim. This article is very insightful:
https://www.blackrain79.com/2020/09/...er-player.html

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I already answered some similar questions here on the forum... At the moment 3k would be enough.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A 500$ would be enough for me. It's doable by the way.

S

slais_pro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it all depends on your job and how much you get on it, if the income from poker began to exceed your salary, then you can already think about quitting your job.

007Leon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, i have not job now, so... i would be good with $200 usd per montg, just for survive

1KrazyMofo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its easier said then done, I suffer with mental health, So a job keeps me getting up in the morning for Gtd income, I'm sure if i quit to play poker I'd end up grinding 1 day a week and have 0 motivation the rest of the time.

A

anadrijav

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For now I do not think but a future yes. For more than 1500 monthly without weighing it.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"what would happen if it happened", but 1 million euros without tax would be enough

sequoia

sequoia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably 1000$ would enough, in my country it's more than average salary.

D

D1enonli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This might sound "out there", but I wouldn't consider quitting until I bankrolled $100k from poker. This obviously will take a long time to reach, but you need a huge cushion for the roller coaster ride everyone has experienced playing FT. Not to mention living expenses that will eat up your bankroll quickly.

I also try to set limits on losses. 1% - 5% max on total bankroll per session. It's tough to stay true to this rule, but, believe me, it prevents heavy tilting. GL

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi in the town where I live now there are few good jobs here, the average salary 130-170$ now I'm going to move to another major city average salary of 400-500$ per month but I would like to do this at least 1500-2000$ per month to quit my job given that playing poker is you have no seniority and will have a low pension and this money would be enough not to work

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
professional poker

if I could start winning and then be consistent at it 3000 a month would be enough for me and then I would leave my main job without thinking twice. i love the game that much, my passion

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have a job. I collect a US government pension after working 27 years for NASA.

How many years do you have to win at poker before they'll pay you a pension? LMAO

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The average salary in my country is about $ 450. So for me, for a start, a monthly salary of $ 500 would be enough.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Personally, $ 1,000 would be enough for me to fully dedicate myself to playing poker. We can say that this is my dream and I hope that I will be able to achieve this goal.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I like the idea , when sb starts having profits from poker gradually bud steadily , if he quits a job only if it's vey exhausting and non productive , with non positive equilibrium in profits or benefits vs damages and hard exploitation , and only to find a better job , even with less money than before , with better health conditions , safety precautions , respect for his age or skills , etc , or start or continue a preexisting family business .

But stop everything just to become a reg who will get all his money only from poker brrrrr . Today you win , tomorrow you won't . Today it's upswing , tomorrow a very big downswing , for many months , Today you have a big win , then many years might pass untill the next win , if it comes again , you never know , not everyone is darwin or lex or ......

Ofcourse to believe you will become a big pro very soon , that's very very difficult , the beaaddest of the baddest ideas , the most catastrophic one . These pros who have chosen this path have sponsorships , have inner circles , one knows and helps the other , it's not easy to become one of their kind , of their network , their ring , their circuit , nowadays it's GTO times , harder ro beome a successfull pro these days than in the pre black friday days , imo .

A good article about Darvin Moon, who passed away recently , his life , the decision he made after the second place in 2009 WSOP Main Event and the $5.1M , to continue as a self employed logger , his previous job , is sth to make most of us , think about and reconsider the dream of becoming a millionaire and leave everything else from our past life , to live at last the great life ..

Natta777

Natta777

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I left work long ago. I do housework and housekeeping. But sometimes I am scared that my husband will die before me. Now he makes money. I still cannot achieve stability in poker. A stable $ 1000 per month would suit me.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Darvin Moon Article

Hello. Thank you for sharing this article.He did live out his dream and kept it real!
Dan'O

F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all!

In my opinion work should be your passion, you should love your job, it should be a pleasure to do it. If poker can provide that then maybe you should get into the game.
Meeting friends, being happy, starting a family, having health ... everything brings you closer to dedicating yourself to what your passion is.

Thanks greetings