How many people use Poker Trackers?

Lindyloo

Lindyloo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, out of interest how many people on here use Poker Trackers and do they make a big difference to your game? Thanks

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi, welcome to the forums, i got pokertracker 3 just a few weeks ago, maybe a month. my BB/100 has skyrocketed by 1, 2 depends on the games. at 2nl i went from 5bb/100 without a hud to 8bb/100. it changed my game by a lot and i would not play wihtout it anymore.

good luck.

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use to use them but do not anymore. I just keep track of what I want to usnig a simple spreadsheet.

D

Del Sol Si

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
HEM is great, I never play without it running anymore.

T

tearedtotears

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used Poker Tracker for a while and it's a nice tool, especially the HUD function, which allows you to see certain players style even if you don't pay too much attention. I see one problem in trackers: that your live game analysis ability may downgrade(doesn't matter if you're an online-only player). If you're able to realize how your aggression and your playing frequency and those of your opponent without any tools it's great for the poker mind. On the long term you can see how your game changed or adjustments effected your bankroll using tracking software. Some people may advance their game by using it and some won't.
I'm not a big fan of big programs with too many functions and unfortunately I don't know any keep-it-simple poker tracker. In addition I'm not a big fan of postgresql, 'cause it uses much memory and runs all the time.

R

rcbstuff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tell me more about this, I think it would help players who are in a slump.

B

bigjoker66

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably between 65% and 80% of the people on this site use tracking software. Probably 5% of people online. I use poker tracker.

C

Corey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to use PokerTracker 2, with PostGRESQL, but I datamined so much, I actually KILLED PT2. The database got up to 2.5 Gigabytes and it just flat and died.

I didn't ever buy PT3 or HEM, so currently, I operate "naked".

C

Corey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used Poker Tracker for a while and it's a nice tool, especially the HUD function, which allows you to see certain players style even if you don't pay too much attention. I see one problem in trackers: that your live game analysis ability may downgrade(doesn't matter if you're an online-only player). If you're able to realize how your aggression and your playing frequency and those of your opponent without any tools it's great for the poker mind. On the long term you can see how your game changed or adjustments effected your bankroll using tracking software. Some people may advance their game by using it and some won't.
I'm not a big fan of big programs with too many functions and unfortunately I don't know any keep-it-simple poker tracker. In addition I'm not a big fan of postgresql, 'cause it uses much memory and runs all the time.

But if you used PT2 with Microsoft Access, it slowed down immensely. Not sure hot PT3 and HEM handle it. You at least need something like MySQL , which is better than Access. Maybe PGSQL is too hefty.

G

gamblingace78

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
this is the problem with internet poker and why when an internet player goes to a live game they are fish out of water.live games there are no programs to use and you actually have to think for yourself.real poker players dont need to use programs because they know how to play the game without them.get a clue donks.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is the problem with internet poker and why when an internet player goes to a live game they are fish out of water.live games there are no programs to use and you actually have to think for yourself.real poker players dont need to use programs because they know how to play the game without them.get a clue donks.

Welcome to CC gamblingace - odd first post, given that many members of this forum are 1. online poker players and 2. use these tools. Looking to make friends, are we?

Love to see any evidence you have for your assertion that internet players can't play live. I assume it's just sheer ignorance that's prompting that statement - many online players are also excellent live players. I'm guessing you just don't have a clue what these tools are nor what they do - that's pretty much the only way you could make this statement.

@tearedtotears - I sort of agree w your statement about live play, but not really. If a player simply reads the HUD and decides "5 AF - he must be bluffing", that player is not going to be a successful online or live player. The HUD doesn't directly tell you anything about the hand you're currently playing - the stats constitute one consideration in all the variables you're dealing w, including board texture, prior street actions, etc.

/end rant, grumpy today. Note that I don't necessarily think HUD's are great for the game - but there's no question in my mind that HUD's are useful.

@OP - PT3/HEM can be very useful in improving your game. The biggest help imo is in being able to review your sessions and your habits over time. Are you losing money in position? Are you calling too often when you get check raised? Are you completing the small blind too much? etc. etc. etc. This accelerates your learning curve dramatically and helps you fix leaks much faster than you would otherwise.

As far as the HUD goes - it's most useful if you play the same players alot - if you don't, then the statistics are often unreliable.

qia1989

qia1989

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i once use it some times,at begining,i think Poker Trackers is suitable for beginner like me,but later,i find it is hard to get the correct tell by using pt3,some date even misunderstand me..

D

dkeam83

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker tracker is far by the best software out there to track your stats. I mean i don't really use it that much cuz i dont' play online anymore, but still when i did use it, its like having a coach tell you your strengths and weaknesses.

S

Skaplun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
online players are overwhelmingly better than live players. If you can beat 5NL online you can beat 200NL live.
Moving on, poker software is invaluable to get the correct understanding of the game. The ability to dissect your opponents play can help you find leaks that live players can't even dream about when they sit around looking for sweaty palms and itchy necks.

C

cheermom48017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive never used tracking software because I didnt know it could help so much, and I didnt think that many people used it , but I might have to look into it if this many people are using it.I play mostly tourneys does it help as much for that? And I have somewhat older computer with not as much memory would these programs slow it down a lot?:dontknow:

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For anyone reading this thread, here's a tip; take a look at the number of posts from various people in this thread and compare the number of posts from sly and the thought that he's put into his post and compare with everyone else. That should give you a hint as to where to look for the best advice.

I'll add a couple things of my own; I used to have PokerTracker and switched to HoldEm Manager (HEM) when PT3 came out full of bugs and performance issues. I've never considered going back, and I think HEM has the bulk of the market these days.

For a beginner who is playing only one table I don't think PokerTracker or HEM is needed; just watch your opponents, but, pull up the hand history to see the mucked cards. PT and HEM with display these automatically for you after the hand so if you don't use these programs, pull up the hand history yourself to see. It was amazing to me when Stars came out with their replayer and people didn't even realize the mucked cards had always been available to see.

Either way, make notes on the way player play their hands. Then when you sit at a table with them again 3 days later you've got that information right away.

Once you start to get into playing multiple tables HEM or PT3 is a must-have, simply because you'll miss action, and even if you see the action, when you're playing 4 or more tables you won't remember who does what most often on which table.

If you don't use PT3/HEM you also won't understand in hand analysis areas what people mean when they say that their opponent was 27/9 which says a lot about how the opponent plays.

One of the best online players, BalugaWhale, doesn't use PT3 or HEM, but, he plays at such high buyin levels that the competition is very narrow so he has played every opponent in thousands of hands and doesn't feel the need to use it himself. Still, he understands what the stats mean so he's able to coach players who do use the programs.

Last edited:
W

wetyeti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i use PT3 and find the stats tracking to be the most useful. As stated before, the HUD can easily mislead you into less than profitable plays if its taken at face value.
I like using the HUD when facing big raises on later streets. Other than that its the tracking of my stats that are the most useful.
Whether HUDs are good for the game or not brings up another question for me..... Is multitabling good for the game?
I ask this because when I play online my main reason is to make money. I dont like staring at a computer for hours but I do like being able to play 4 tables of 10nl at a time and pull in an extra 50 bucks. i cant imagine multitabling without a HUD.
When I play live I still want to make money but there are other reasons why I sit at a table. I like to hold chips and cards. I like playing with people as opposed to avatars. I like knowing that my skills at 10nl online are applicable to 200nl live and I don't have to 'work' as hard(30 hands per hour as opposed to 80).
I view online and live poker as very different animals. One is more like a job and the other is more like when the boss sends you Maui for a conference;)

17Fabrizio17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Using trackers not always an andavantage

If you are uncomfortable using poker trackers that display tonnes of statistics on your screen you better go ahead without, but remember that even if you’re not collecting data, there may well be someone collecting data on you.

N

Neoblast

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been told by a lot of people that this helps a lot at least in cash games or small tourneys.

Which is the best one? Is there a free one with pokerstars and full tilt support?

B

bestyet3065

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Trackers

I use a poker tracker and I think it is a great idea because it helps you to see what type of player you are.

seregin

seregin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Never used any programs,if it realy can help in game, I think it`s necessary to try.

T

The Spillage

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether you agree with the HUD or not - there is no question that recording every aspect of your own game is a very good thing. Tracking software doesn't record ANYTHING that you couldn't record yourself with a pen and paper. And any poker player who wants to learn the game better should constantly be evaluating their own game.

I can't help thinking all these people who bang on about 'real' poker players not needing these 'crutches' have been watching too many Hollywood films: "Who needs tracking software? All I need is my wits about me and to see the whites of my opponents eyes!" Yes, I'm looking at you Gamblingace78.

straytfrush

straytfrush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have used PT3 through 2 different trial periods and as other people have said the HUD appears to be the most useful feature. It is very valuable to have in the middle range of a tournament where a person has played a fair number of hands to at least get a feel for what they're doing.

The Gent

The Gent

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive never used tracking software because I didnt know it could help so much, and I didnt think that many people used it , but I might have to look into it if this many people are using it.I play mostly tourneys does it help as much for that? And I have somewhat older computer with not as much memory would these programs slow it down a lot?:dontknow:

I use Holdem Manager and Tournament Indicator on an old laptop which I use only for poker and it handles it ok. Obviously use the best system you can, but if you are just playing the odd game then it will be fine.

If you want to open 4 tables and keep everything ticking then upgrade at least your RAM.

I suggest using HEM or PT3 at all times, you can save yourself chips easily just by looking at how loose or tight your opponents are. There are so many things to look at but other threads cover that in depth.

Good Luck

Poker Tracker 4 Review - Poker Tracker Guide