How many hours of poker is suitable for one day of play?

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In the mornings I can only play freerolls, that start at 6:00 am.
If I last long in the turny, I can only play till just before 8:00 am
because I have to go to work. It's a bummer that I have to sit out
and see where I ended up when I come home for lunch. After work
I get into another freeroll (6:00pm) and play till I get knocked out.
The freerolls are pokerstars school turnys. Weekends I am to busy
doing other things.

B

blueleaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No more than 6 hours.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If I am well rested, 10-12 hours is fine. But I find if I do that for more than a day or two, and put off exercise and other "chores" it becomes too much. When I am rested and clear the slate to play for a long session I am usually successful.

O

OneMoreTry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends how much time you have and what your BR looks like. If you have a free day that you can spend the way you want, and your BR is rising rather than going down, there is no argument for not playing 12-15 hours, if you like it.

But...I would advise to have a break of at least 1 hour after a long tournament is finished. Starting the next one right away won't do you any good I think.

Jooseme

Jooseme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That’s a great question. I feel once I play past 8-10hrs my decision making drastically drops. That’s why I try and stick to cash games

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play aobut 3-4 hours a day? less on weekends.

bighert2

bighert2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think 3-4 hours a day is more than enough; if it's a mtt and you run deep then more if needed should be ok.

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its up to you, to decide these questions.

D

derpaderp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doesn't matter what's too much if your wife is telling you. A good friend of mine once told me "remember to tell her that she's right, even when she's right".

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cutting down on my poker hours during the week is making me binge play on the weekend. Now I have to govern myself in order to not let fatigue set in when I play.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's Saturday and we are having beautiful weather but it's also the weekend and you know what that means. ....Poker time! :captain:

MIljanho

MIljanho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play tournament games there no limit if you play good you can play whole day :)

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you can play as long as you like, as long as you still think you are playing your A game. I believe it will be different for everyone, and that it is you who needs to decide that, for the most part. I think after too many hours you would probably get tired and possibly make more mistakes.

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not playing every day, but on poker days 4-5 hrs is fine.
If i play more i loose concentration.

BnaD

BnaD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's hero specific. I personally can't sit and play for more than a few hours. ignition offers zoom and cash games via mobile web App. As long as I can walk around and stretch my legs I've put in 20 hour winning sessions =D
:icon_king

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play about 12.13 hours a day when I am off work. Going to be interesting how long I play with my new position starting. I might not be on the poker sites as much as I like.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I played in a tournament last night only because I was waiting on my wife to finish what she was doing but then I started to build a bankroll. 3 hours later I once again realized how many hours of poker is too long when someone else requests your time. ....:deal:

N

nonames45

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that this primarily depends on the person, his patience, and in fact if a person can spend eight hours in the office or at a factory, then why can not he spend 8 hours at a poker table, this same work, brain work.
* Personally, I have not played for more than 6 hours, time does not allow, I need to work, spend time with my family and also sleep

B

BenefitNL

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I drew up a schedule in which a week made two days off on weekdays, and weekends I have a game longer. And stick to the schedule.

B

BenefitNL

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No error, about the need to forget and move on because the distance all return!

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is different for everyone. Some people can play poker 24/7 and they still feeling themselves alright. And i know, that some people can play for a few hours, and they already feeling, that this is enough for one day.

H

harrahsfish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
7-8hrs for me

I used to play 30-40plus session before. I was so addicted to game no matter I win or lose.Later on, I found out it’s not healthy for my body and my mind.
Result wasn’t great either.
I started to schedule my session for 7-8hrs a day no matter i win or lose.
My results are getting much better.

2NaCl

2NaCl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no actual set time of hours that is suitable for everyone, it's situational. Some people might be able to perform on their peaks with 8-10 hrs whilst others might get tired after a 3-4 hr session, the best thing to do is to try lots of different variables and figure out what works best with you.

Let's also not forget the various elements that partake an important role regarding your performance such as sleep and caffeine.

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play as many hours as you can and the more you play the more you learn and improve as well.

Last edited:
AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it depends on what type of game are you playing and in case of atournament what kind of tournament, poker stars have some that you can spend more than 2days playing ;)