How many hours of poker is suitable for one day of play?

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
6 to 8 hours of poker a day is not much, if you like carry on! Some players can play 24 hours,
of course not every day XD

VivicvrMga

VivicvrMga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I believe that the limit depends on each one. If the person feels comfortable playing 10 hours interrruptas great, each one knows the limit that can reach. I play many hours on the weekend and few during the week, for example during the game week of 2 to 4 hours a day for me and the limit. already during the weekend I play until 12 hours when I enter the tournament bigger, but as I said this and my limit each one has to find yours.

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The person who warned me was my better-half and since she is my better-half, she expressed to me that she knows better and 6 hrs of poker in a day is too much. ....lol :bandit:
Yup, that's what I thought.
She's right. Shut up and listen. She's always right, even when she's wrong. Play a bit less poker for a while. Don't argue, you can't win.

It is up to the individual unless the wife says thats enough.
and that pretty much sums it up.

Stonerkitten

Stonerkitten

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The person who warned me was my better-half and since she is my better-half, she expressed to me that she knows better and 6 hrs of poker in a day is too much. ....lol :bandit:

If poker is getting in the way of spending time with her why not try do more when your not playin to make up for it,

Unfortunately relationships involve compromises, I'm glad I'm single ;)

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, gotta make compromises I was redirected and have seen the error of my ways and that's why I'm in the process of negotiations right now. ....:damnmate:

W

willko01000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is an open question

This is all down to you personally!

There is no correct answer some people can keep the quality of play high even after 8 hours or more. Others lose and make mistakes more so after that time.

So really you just need to judge if your skills fade after that time and if they do def stop as there is no point playing a losing skill set.

S

sid kendell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me its four hours during the week and eight or ten a day on the weekends .

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
round 6 hours is the best I think
you need to concentrate on your game.
8 hours high concentration is fine in a day, but you need 2 hours or something to learn and fix your error, so 6 hours sounds good.

BTW: unless there is a big fish, so I will sit with big fish as long as fish plays:D

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
DatDude - Hours of poker

Man, you gonna beat the socks off those folks at vegas if you keep those hours!
All, joking aside, I feel for me that it's the way I feel. If I am up for it, I am. If I am not, well...I am not. It's all how ya feel, DatDude. One thing is, don't chase a bad loss if you are or will get tired playing the best you can.:eek:

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After a tourney, I usually take a break, but sometimes I want to play more so I will do a cash table for a while so I can quit when I want. I usually use a cash table as a gauge to if I am ready to do another tourney. For example, today I did a tourney and it took about 3 hrs (I came in 2nd, BTW). I took a break, cooking for an hour, ate, relaxed. I did a cash table for a bit to see if I was ready for another 3 hours and I did well at first, but I made a dumb mistake and that told me to call it quits for the day. So now I am here posting. It was still a good day.

Good luck at the tables :wavey:

Last edited:
E

effece

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a lot has to do with the state of each one, physical and mental. it is known that after a while concentration is lost, so you run the risk of playing in low conditions. I think 4 hours are reasonable.

L

lonniebuggs101

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hours to play a day

Deciding on how many hours to play depends on what type of game your playing. On avg playing cash game, with the ability to come and go as u please. It would be a good habit to play as long as u can focus. As far as MTT's go lookin at the history of the Mtt u playing u can estimate roughly how long a MTT session would be. Still depending on how many u playing that day.

Kingpoetmusic

Kingpoetmusic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play as much as I can.

Maybe like 5-8 hours a day.

I can't remember a day I have went by and not played a game. Sometimes I feel tired though when I play. I don't recommend playing tired. It could cause you to play more loose. Rest is precious in poker for sure.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for fun, play tournaments for 2-3 hours. but for the money, 3-8 hours a day

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Mostly, I work on weekdays.
Therefore, it is not always possible to play poker.
Usually, I play more on weekends.
In the week, on average 12-16 hours.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think 7-8 hours is a good medium to play poker and still be sharp while playing. Much longer than that and I think your level starts to drop.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Me as a wife of a poker player and myself playing a lot, I would say, it depends.
If you are involved in a tourney that it is really worth it, keep on playing.
If it is usual games like SNG or usual not so expensive tourney, then I would say,
reduce the time and make something senseful (useful) with your wife.
Playing more than 3-4 hours in smaller games is really exhausting, but if you have a
big game like a deep stack tourney then you need to plan your time for this.
Otherwise I would not play that long.

But I am not a professional player, maybe then things are different.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The weekend is here, poker tournament today, let's see how many hours I can squeeze in today. I'll be watching the NBA playoffs while playing, going to aim for about 6-8 of play....shuffle up and deal!

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's quite enough for 8 hours, after me, I start with several tournaments and when I stay on 2, I continue to play them only, I do not have the power to play it, I know from experience, after 8 hours of playing, concentration drops and you can hardly do something.

rossi007

rossi007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is not a standard answer about that as there are different situations ...what I do is that soonest I see I start tilt I turn off the computer...lol
but I believe 6-8 hours is plenty...let ur family and friends also to enjoy you and not be stuck in a laptop all day and be antisocial ...if u have a girlfriend or partner she will start kicking after a little while.

AshK44

AshK44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess it boils down to how much spare time you have and how to keep everything in balance. It’s ok to play as long as your relationships, work and responsibilities aren’t suffering because of it. I guess I’m trying to say it’s like anything else...self awareness is important and you don’t want to go into debt playing the game either.

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more we stand in front of the computer playing poker, the more we want to play, this is the reality, now clearly we must analyze how far we are willing to go, and what is our goal for poker, leaving family and daily chores to stay in poker , I can say that it is no longer a leisure, but an addiction.
6-8 hours a day are enough to have a good, or a bad result, so we must leave it up to its own bad, and follow with a winning strategy.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I played in a freeroll tournament last night after playing for a few hours. After about 3 hours of tournament play fatigue started to set in and it made me do some things that I would not have done if it was not 3am. So starting with about 400 players and getting down to 12 and making stupid mistakes can be attributed to too many hours of play in one day, I guess your body will let you know. ....