How many hours of playing poker is suggested ?

arashsgr

arashsgr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that playing poker for long hours can be frustrating, in the long run, the results not gonna be profitable, I myself tried playing poker even for 8-12 hours per day but I did not get a suitable result, some times playing poker online only for a short period of time have a better result for me even 1-2 hours I could make my buy in 7 times more

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I usually play about three hours a day. Of course, it depends on my mood and the availability of free time, but three hours a day, now it is the best option for me.

MalcogidoPlus

MalcogidoPlus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In most cases, games such as tournaments become too long, not only do they become unbearably heavy, but they are highly unhealthy.
You have to be alienated to spend more than 12 hours attending the game.
I would like to see you playing three days in a row in a face-to-face tournament ..... it sure will give you a breakdown.

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it would be sensible to play 2-3 hours a day and study another 2 hours rather than just grind for 10 hours, as you should be capable of slowly improving, while I feel this is a sweet spot if you have the time to spare. It is unfortunate that this is still not realistic for anyone who has not gone full time into poker.
I would also say you should focus more on studying if you need to improve, and grind if you are happy with your current level ( although as the field gets better, your winrate will decline)

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Optimal for me is 4-6 hours a day.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello good afternoon, in my case I play poker 2 or 3 hours a day but not, because later I start doing recreational player things. But if it is advisable to play 3 hours a day.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
hi. it will depend a lot on your level of learning, you should distribute in theoretical, strategic (through video lessons) and practical hours.

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i prefer to play poker at home 12-16 hours, if only it brings at least some money
i have no work

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think 2-3 hours per day is plenty.

T

tamara822

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No one can suggest how many hours you will play poker. No one can say "it's best to play 10 hours a day".It is individual. Playing poker is a hard game, and it depends a lot on how long someone will play. Are you tired, are you focused, do you have someone who will bother you during the game ( I mostly have :)) and many other things. I usually play about 3-4 hours a day. Although some tournaments can last a very long time. :)

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
What ever feels right for you is what you should do. Each person/player has there own comfort level or zone when they play and they should let it dictate the length of time they decide to play.

PokStorm

PokStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the game you are going to play. In Sit & Go I don't play for more than 2 hours, in tournaments it can take hours if things go well. ;)

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A tournament take at least 2 hours to get in the money.

4 hours are enough for most of time.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually play 2-3 hours a day, if I play tournaments sometimes it is 5-6 hours a day.

mk0523

mk0523

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on what you are comfortable with playing. If only playing a couple of hours is your thing than do that. If you want to win more daily and grind more play 4 or 5 hours. If you plan on playing tournaments though plan on playing at least 6-8 hours to finish if you make it deep.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play as much as I have time. I like to play tournaments, and they can last long. It’s hard for me to stay focused for 6 or more hours, but I try to do my best. When I play, I try to maximise number of tournaments that I’m in, so sometimes I play 6 or 7 at the same time. When I play cash games I play for hour or two, never more.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on my mood and if I am really motivated to play my A game. when this is the case in general I like to play for 3 or 4 hours a day.

gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I play an average of 3 hours a day, more on weekends if I sit at home. It's harder with big tournaments, you get tired

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I actually work 5-6 days a week, so I usually only play poker in the evenings. On average, I play poker 3-4 hours a day. But sometimes on the weekends, I could play for 7-8 hours and not even get tired.
Good luck.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that playing poker for long hours can be frustrating, in the long run, the results not gonna be profitable, I myself tried playing poker even for 8-12 hours per day but I did not get a suitable result, some times playing poker online only for a short period of time have a better result for me even 1-2 hours I could make my buy in 7 times more

1-2 hours 1-2x per day is ideal in my experience (for online)

and for live 3-4 hours seems to be the best as well

For tournaments this is only possible by playing turbos and SNG (which is fine)
This is also why cash games are a great format to play, you have full control over it

With 8-12 hours, man, there are so many things I like to do with the extra time which helps me be a better poker player but doesn't require playing hands. The brain gets tired out just like the muscles do, and when pushing it for these extreme sessions like this regularly it's almost a guarantee that it will run out of mental fuel eventually.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
As I frequently do, I agree with Evan Jarvis.

I did an informal poll on the forum a while ago after listening to Olivier Busquet explain how he had shortened his playing hours. Of those who replied almost all had played extended sessions but had come to realize pushing past 3 hours was not an effective strategy, Naturally, sometimes we have little choice in the matter, but a couple of shorter sessions in a day seems like the more sensible path to take.

C

capujoss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't play more than a couple of hours, as fatigue starts setting in, Then I make wrong decisions.

Whodahustla

Whodahustla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to my life.

With a needy wife and two kids I can't sit hours on end and play in a tournament. So I've made it a self-rule not to play tournaments and to only play cash games instead. Besides, cash games give me the freedom to pull out whenever I so please. Then I started thinking you know, I would imagine the longer you play, statistically the more mistakes you will eventually make. Add that to the constant obligation of being a husband and father and BOOM! Just like that an idea came to me! Play in multiple spurts throughout the day. Once you make more than the buy-in...pull out! Attend to the wife and kids. Eat. Watch a movie. Study. After an hour, two or three enter another cash game. Once you make more than that buy-in...pull out AGAIN! Repeat the cycle!:cool: My sessions never last more than 10 to 20mins...BUT...I have easily between 8-10 sessions per day. I make little mistakes, I profit 9 out of 10 times and I spend time with the family. I'm not saying this works for everyone but I've finally found what works for me. I'm working my way up of from $0.05/$0.10...…..taking it slow. It may not be as profitable as a tournament but once I get good enough to play $1/$2, $2/$5 or maybe even $5/$10...…...I'll be unstoppable! Good Luck!:D

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If you have prepared solutions for many hands preflop orpostflop , playing poker is fun and relaxing , so playing for many hours cannot harm you , only if you start losingh a lot , you might need to take a break , call it a day , come back tomorrow or the day after tomorrow . But if you are a novice player , with no ready solutons , no automatic play , in need every moment to decide what o do , and every some minuts to see many chips lost , yes , probably you might want to play few hours , dedicate the other hours for study in poker strategies and theory .

K

kamciono5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, there is no such thing as the suggested amount of poker, because that's where it all comes out. Suppose we played a tournament for 4-5 hours and finished second, in such a situation we feel relaxed and happy that we can continue the game after a short break, on the other hand let's assume that we play a few tournaments in less than hour and we have a bad beat after a bad beat so after one hour we are irritable and tense. Then it's best to finish because with such days the game usually goes worse and worse.