How Long Does it Take to Learn Poker?

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm still learning. I think you never finish knowing everything about poker. You may learn the techniques by not ...:D:)

L

louis627

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that you will never learn poker fully,
you always have to learn your new opponents play and thats what makes this game interesting.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It took me about 3 months to play poker normally.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Every day and for each hand that we play, we learn something new, but to understand poker and play basic poker it may take you months or 1 year to just start to understand it a little, but to know how to play it completely would take years of study. and practice.

T

Tsegmed

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

I played for two years. But he's still not a good player.

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think no one can say with certainty that they have completely learned poker, in this game you need continuous self-development and improvement.
Completaly agreed with that. If it were possible to fully dominate the game would no longer exist

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m not sure I’ll ever FULLY learn poker, but I continue on my poker journey learning and playing my best. I feel its like being on the same road but with different cars, drivers and situations every time which makes it never exactly the same game twice.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say after 3 years I started to play differently. Win loose ratio got improved and I could withdraw the profits slot often

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The obvious is "poker isn't solved, yet", but in the spirit of the question, about 10 years.

It took about that long before I stopped feeling like I was learning new conceptual ideas and was instead making refinements to my existing game.

My progress is marked only in retrospect and the large turning points are marked by VPIP changes. I went from playing too many hands, to playing too few, to playing too many, to balanced. I was certain I was balanced at each stage and didn't realize my mindset errors until I spent time thinking about where I was.
In the specific, I went from a fish playing everything, to a rock playing premium only, to over playing marginal draws and second best holdings, to balanced. The journey took about 10 years.

shinmenkami

shinmenkami

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Idk what you mean by fully.
Took me a few hours to memorize the basic rules.

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't believe anyone ever fully learns or understands poker . . . I once heard how many possible hands there were in Texas Hold 'Em and I am still learning to remember that number.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I am still learning but I don't think anyone can learn this game fully , there are many different aspects to consider in every single spot.
I think GTO may give you a general gameplay about some spots in order not to be exploited but we don't play against AI. Even the best players in the world adapt based on their villain or the phase of the tournament or the ICM considerations.
I think you can play a solid game and become a respectful opponent after some months but again this has to do with the individual.

marianexbj

marianexbj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my particular experience I do not think I have learned completely, that is what I think is reaching the highest level (high levels), but I do think that I totally changed my perspective on the game 2 years ago, when I understood that it is not luck, but study and consistency in learning the game. I was a very losing player for years until I decided to improve, study more and learn more about everything. I have known poker for 10 years but only 2 years ago I can say that I play decently or at least try.

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you ever get to a point where you think you’ve learned poker fully that’s the point everyone else will pass you by. Pokers more of a lifelong educational exercise. Strategies and nuances change almost daily it seems. Never stop studying and learning.

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Iv been playing for some 20 years or more and I'm still learning!

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One hand

I will get first today just putting it out there. Gl and as always Have fun

Costy69

Costy69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How long did it take to learn poker fully

Ive been playing for years and I still feel like I dont know anything.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think never, iam still learning, day by day. its like anything else, more you play, more you learn.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing poker for 7 years, and I haven't mastered it yet, there are no limits to perfection.

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker reminds me a life. As a child, we understand little and we are happy this, in adolescence we think that we know everything better than anyone else and often reject advices, in adulthood we understand how wrong we were once.

It would be probably possible to learn 100% poker only if we could see the cards of our opponents and follow the Fundamental Poker Theorem.
I wish I could.:wink:

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't say that I have completely mastered poker))). My dream is to master at least 80%.
As far as I heard, all top players are constantly improving their knowledge and working a lot on hand analysis. That is, studying poker takes almost your whole life, and no one at the end of his life will say that he fully understood the game of poker.