How Does Alcohol Effect Your Game? Better or Worse?

P

prettByRD

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In Billiards I play better when drunk because I don't overthink and worry about my shot so much, I just aim and shoot and it's more accurate! In cards, however, at least online, I think for the most part I take risks I shouldn't far more often then I should. It makes me more of a pushy, offensive, player, too though, which can be a lot better then when I am stingy & too scared to bet. In person though, it definitely helps me because I am too scared and nervous to play with people otherwise lol

NiallPlays

NiallPlays

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I’ve honestly never drank when playing but then I rarely drink so I can’t comment

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I usually don´t drink alcohol when I play or let´s say almost never. I might have a drink at the beginning when I play with friends but that is not often the case. I want to stay as focused as possible and alcohol affects my focus.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Alcohol helps my poker game quite dramatically in a positive sense, I become far less nitty and play much more aggressively and that makes me far more unpredictable and dangerous to my table opponents.

Having said that, there IS a line and I ALWAYS cross it... that moment when I should stop drinking because I am getting too drunk, but I never do stop. At that point, alcohol goes from being a positive for my game, to a terrible negative. I lose my judgement on the hands requiring a deeper thought process, and I begin to take more risks than is wise. Sometimes I even misread the board or fail to put my opponent on a proper range (such as not realizing the flush just hit the river and fail to recognize they were drawing to it).

For this reason, my experimenting with alcohol usage is now over for good. :D While poker is less exciting without drinking during my play, I realize that over the long run my game was never going to benefit from it and quite clearly this is the best move I could make. It was fun while it lasted, I'm honestly not even sure why I started doing it in the first place, I was never really a drinker for most of my life. I guess now I realize why - I suppose in all honestly, it is a sign of addiction when you start but cannot seem to stop at the appropriate time.

Long ago, before Black Friday (April 15, 2011) I went deep in an online tournament, but I got so drunk that I literally "blacked out" and had no recollection the next morning of how I had finished, and had to fire up the poker site to check and see how much I had won. No, I didn't win the tournament, but that was a big wakeup call at the time. Due to our American government taking away our rights and our freedoms to play online at that time, it forced us to take a very long break from online poker, and this incident had faded from my mind for the most part. My recent experiment with alcohol and poker brought this incident back into sharper focus for me and it all has led me to quit drinking again. I really don't miss it, but it was fun and I have no regrets - thankfully, I didn't really hurt myself or my bankroll, and emerged relatively unscathed from it all. As I've always said, I learn my life lessons the hard way, by making mistakes and then correcting them. This is just another example of that process. :D

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It doesn't affect me at all because I don't drink.
I drink wine when I go to a restaurant with my wife.
A wine always goes with Italian food, right.

T

To6Po6

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I dont drink when i`m playing!When i finish i get one beer or wisky and that`s it to relax!

horscht22

horscht22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
For me i would say, i risk a little more f.ex. in Bounty Tournaments, but it depends on the stuff and on the mass of alcohol offcourse...But its the best way to play without offcourse ;)

veirge140

veirge140

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
brother why it called alcohol as it is a drug and a drug that you cannot control yourself in some cases

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it all depends on the amount of alcohol drunk) a small dose can add confidence, in large quantities, on the contrary, it will negatively affect, there will be many mistakes in the game

T

TonyTadzh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alcohol doesn't help you to win, better to drink tea or coffee while playing poker

Kabarred

Kabarred

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I seem to play better when drinking. When I used to go to bars it was the same way with playing pool. But there is a cutoff point I have because if I go beyond that point I start making stupid decisions. Too much will impair decision making.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think drinking alcohol while playing poker is a mental brake.

L

luckyrnmd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends of my condition before drinking.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I don't think it's too good to drink while you play, it can really relax you and in some moments of the game you can make some right decisions, apparently :), but I don't recommend it to anyone:)

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alcohol is great for your faith
Take a few sips and you'll believe that every beat will be in your favor.
9 and 3, allin
7 and 2, allin
10 and 4 allin
allin
allin
allin🦸🦸🦸🦸🦸

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think any stimulus, Drink or Drugs is detrimental to the rational thought process, otherwise you would be able to drink and drive quite legally, if it was any help to your driving performance. Likewise driving while stoned on drugs is a totally stupid way to drive, so Give me 9 opponents stoned or drunk any day of the week, I will gladly take their money away.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Funny Story. I was playing at Hard Rock in Tampa, Fl. A lady who was so drunk she could hardly walk, made her way to the table. She continued to order drinks and continued to get absolutely smashed. One thing, she still had enough wits to whip our butts, get up, leave the table with a swagger while we all stared in amazement.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fortunately, I don't have to deal with this issue as I almost never drink alcohol (a few drinks a year). Coffee and cigarettes are my only addictions and they go just fine with poker.

Piligrin66

Piligrin66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play poker in this state, then you will never win anything, the human brain will not be able to make the right decisions, your mind is drugged and you better go to sleep.

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I avoid drinking while playing poker and I just don't see any logic about using something that can affect your decisions at the tables... of course I'm not against it if it's a homegame and we're just playing poker to add to the fun but even then too many drinks can ruin the good time...

Have a great weekend everyone :)

TirariAchref

TirariAchref

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
Of course Alcohol will effect your game badly you need to be focus in every hand not drink.

N

NoPasaNada

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
always good at first, but then get loose ........obviouly only during live play have i done this and low stakes cash.........

Top 10 Games