How Does Alcohol Effect Your Game? Better or Worse?

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to ask people for the sake of interest how alcohol affects you and making your decisions when you play poker

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I enjoy a glass of wine in the evening when I'm playing poker, it helps loosen me up and not care as much about the bad beats!

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Alcohol is a depressant, so it has to effect your thinking, and as a result, your game.

One of my favourite times to play, is late on a Friday night, when people have been out drinking, and come home, and play poker. It's helpful in tournaments, but cash games are the best for this.

Being drunk, is not conducive to lengthy tournament play, but cash games are very conducive to short term play, and that's were they head.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually have a drink or two, and a PUFF when I play poker.. Im not sure if it effects my game or not, but it sure makes it a lot of fun :)

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can't be good, just impossible, you are never drunk focused at your best

dominisantus

dominisantus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you sit, ride relaxed with a bottle of beer, or a glass of whiskey, but these days you can not even try to play something more or less serious, alcohol dulls consciousness, and prevents you from making the right decisions.

blackknives

blackknives

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on how much alcohol, just the right amount and i'm in pure serious mode, no bs, and tend to play better. otherwise, with friends it's just fun and games

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I very rarely drink alcohol and I have not yet had a case that I drank while playing !!! So, unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, but I have nothing to compare with)))

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It doesn’t affect in any way, as I didn’t know how to play, and I don’t know how, alcohol is not super ability to win in poker, so I don’t see the point in using it.

Mezzzzzza

Mezzzzzza

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is top of my list of things not to do when playing poker but this all depends on how seriously you want to take the game. If playing casually in the evenings for a bit of fun why not?! But if you are looking at this game from a more serious perspective its not advisable #no_limits_mezza

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Back when i played i see no effect on my game with 1-2 beers, with 3 beers I getting looser, with 4+ beers I starting to take emotional actions and getting more agg than usual, my game definitely getting worse with booze than without

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How can alcohol help? If you just relax, become imposing and thoughtless, add false confidence? If I'm drunk playing poker, I'll just fall asleep. For me, alcohol acts as a sleeping pill while playing.

KasyakoFF

KasyakoFF

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't drink alcohol when I play poker!

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I do not drink alcohol while playing. I believe that alcohol and gambling combined are a quick way to loss and frustration.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I don't drink more than one beer and I don't think it affects me too much, in any case as far as I'm concerned more alcohol would only make me reckless and risk more and I don't know how long I would last at the table

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
sometimes it seems that with or without alchohol I STILL make bad decisions....oh dear oh dear.....

K

kobra80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't drink alcohol at all because I take strong pills

Last edited:
VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It´s not a matter of better or worse, but of the quantity and type of drink. Certainly anyone who drinks a lot will worsen their game, without a doubt, but a drink to relax dosing the amount can be good in some tournaments to give a lively and relaxed.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One normal light beer (no more than 5% ABV and no more than 500 ml) can sometimes help me to relax and play better. Anything over that has negative effect on my game making it harder to concentrate on the game.

cdntyler87

cdntyler87

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Alcohol can be beneficial a beer to help you relax and take the edge off a bit.. on the other hand keep drinking at the table and more often then not you walk away with less then you had

tihomalko

tihomalko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Better because if I lose I don't care so much :)

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know there is no point in playing drunk. Therefore, I never sit down to play under the influence of alcohol.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I seldom drink alcoholic beverages when I play poker ... because the times I have, I end up losing ... and that is because alchool distracts me from the game, it relaxes me too much ... and I lose control over the game ... So zero alchool for me ... hahahahaha

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I don’t drink, I guess for some people a couple of vinos can relax you but I would imagine drinking a lot whilst playing can only lead to bad decision making :eek:

Top 10 Games