How do you recover from a bad beat?

B

barstool

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good evening, all. =)

Bad beats can take us out of our minds and really throw us off our game. There are those very special hands where we would go super big if won, had major advantage and then… boom goes the dynamite! =D

So, my questions to the community are:
  1. What do you do when you get a bad beat?
  2. How do you overcome one?
For me, I usually just close my eyes during the hand and don’t look at what happened. If I see I got eliminated or lost afterwards, I don’t feel so angry as I would’ve if I were watching live!

About overcoming, not sure if I have a strategy… maybe just leaving the game for a while (days) until my head is fresh again and get back on the game!

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I just accept the result of the hand as just being poker. When one says they had a bad beat what they really are saying is their high expectations were dashed and not met. As disappointing as that is, the next hand starts immediately and the previous must be forgotten. I take stock of how many BBs i have and decide what adjustments in my game I must make for my new stack size..

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Most of the hands that we lose when we start playing are not even bad beats.
But when you really have one, I guess that more experience better/faster you recover. That doesn't mean that you won't get angry, especially if it's a big pot.
If you learn about pot odds (basic strategy) you will notice that it's ok to lose most of the hands, but if you play correctly, you will win long term.

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
So i was frustated for while.....but when i loose against someone who just put stupid bet that for me its worst......

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I have had to learn over time that no matter how far ahead you are, you can always lose with any hand. Unless it is a royal flush. And if you know that and accept it, then you can deal with it better. But as has already been said above, not every hand you lose is due to a bad beat, sometimes it is simply because of bad decisions and sometimes because you just can't let go even though you can clearly see that you are no longer in front if you pay attention to the cards that are on the table and the way yours Opponent plays. Losing even with AA is no proof of a bad beat because AA is only preflop the best hand, after the flop you can be back again despite the AA in your hand

044hero

044hero

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It will be forever & always in game as it part, so try to take it easier as you can)

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good evening, all. =)

Bad beats can take us out of our minds and really throw us off our game. There are those very special hands where we would go super big if won, had major advantage and then… boom goes the dynamite! =D

So, my questions to the community are:
  1. What do you do when you get a bad beat?
  2. How do you overcome one?
For me, I usually just close my eyes during the hand and don’t look at what happened. If I see I got eliminated or lost afterwards, I don’t feel so angry as I would’ve if I were watching live!

About overcoming, not sure if I have a strategy… maybe just leaving the game for a while (days) until my head is fresh again and get back on the game!
At showdown any two cards can win, just accept this fact and have a lot of fun.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If you played correctly and your expectations were not met, then it is better to let go - next time everything will be different, so you need to focus on what you are doing wrong, and not on the fact that your expectations were not met.

B

barstool

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I do try to get comfort on the fact that "OK, I have played the hand well/as I should've". But it is still hard sometime if you are human :)

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Bad beats don't bother me, I simply go to the next hand and forget about the bad beat.

The only thing that bothers me is when I hit my set of queens on the river and vill raises my bet, knowing full well he's hit his straight with KJ as that's in his flatting range, for me to tank and call when I know to fold. I need to work on that!!!!!

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I would recommend reading the book “The Poker Mindset”.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
number 1: To go crazy.
number 2: To follow life, until I go crazy again.kkkkkk

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Bad beats are part of poker just don't forget it when going all in with AA )))

N

Niykk

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally speaking I don't crash after a bad beat as I know it will happen.
I fold premiums preflop in satellites when raising or betting is unreasonably high and when having above average stack. I helps a bit in avoiding bad beats but they are unavoidable.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not much you can do about bad beats, i tend to just laugh about it & quickly move on. They happen so often, you kind of get immune to them, well i do anyway. If anything, i look back and see if i could have done things better, but the majority of the time, the poor play is on the villain, and they just suck out.

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Laugh, what can do about it.
S**t happens. Cards hurt.
Enjoy the losses along with the wins.

B

barstool

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for sharing, guys! Reading your thoughts already helps me calming down and just accepting it is party of poker. =)

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There must have been times when you gave the enemy a bad beat. remember that.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I easily accept such situations, it is not a problem for me. I just keep playing and patiently wait for good cards and situations.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think you need to change your perspective, if you are losing to bad beats then you are playing poker how it should be played, bad beats are just part of the game. Just move on the the next game/hand!

DiazPoker3101

DiazPoker3101

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
it is difficult to recover, it only remains to think that poker always gives rebanches

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in the game of poker always prevails a number of emotions on the part of the player throughout each session, if you do not prepare yourself mentally before each session you can experience an ordeal when you play a bat beats, you will not overcome it and you will begin to get frustrated a lot, even begin to play badly, that's why it is advisable to work the mental part before and that way you will successfully face any bat beats you have.

B

barstool

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There must have been times when you gave the enemy a bad beat. remember that.
I think, somewhat, that is the reason of being so mad. I try to play really well and correct, let's say. So, it is very, very rare that I end up being the one giving a bad beat. very rare. So, yeah, maybe I should loose it up more and create more bad beats to my side to balance this.

Jogo4

Jogo4

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hardly, because I'm already all in.