How do you get over trash talking ?

garenka

garenka

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As its a thing that often happens in poker there is always that ONNEEE GUYYY that will talk mess to you about anything and everything you do..even if its the right thing *whether its calling with your A,A or A,K* or simply doing good for yourself. This has happened to me abit and it made me all fidgety and uneasy...my question would be how do you get over this ? do you talk back at them ? do you tune them out and just be silent ? *i mean of course you can just WIN but after hearing all of that my hand selection as pretty as it was when i first started playing*

Thanks
-G

A

Aurelio H

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are just sore losers most people can't accept the fact they made a bad play so they take it out on whoever they were up against best idea would be to ignore them and it might work out for the best cuz if u don't listen u might put them on tilt and win some chips later on in the game.

A

Adventurebound2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Very simple. Click "close chat box" and you won't hear a word of their bs.

O

o0HitMan0o

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As its a thing that often happens in poker there is always that ONNEEE GUYYY that will talk mess to you about anything and everything you do..even if its the right thing *whether its calling with your A,A or A,K* or simply doing good for yourself. This has happened to me abit and it made me all fidgety and uneasy...my question would be how do you get over this ? do you talk back at them ? do you tune them out and just be silent ? *i mean of course you can just WIN but after hearing all of that my hand selection as pretty as it was when i first started playing*

Thanks
-G
i talk trash back but only after they lose a good hand to either you or another player great to put the big mouth on big tilt

Very simple. Click "close chat box" and you won't hear a word of their bs.

also a good idea but this doesnt work in a live game:D

KMC1828

KMC1828

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online: Close chatbox
Live: Bring an iPod

=)

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like already said.
Chat off except in CC tourneys ;)

UnknownFlush

UnknownFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ignore them and keep playing till them is gone or till you changing the table :p

Y

yankeenut23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good point here...I sometimes let what people say or do at the tables affect how I play when they are involved in the pot with me. I know I shouldnt but cant help wanting to take them out and say Hahahaha.:p

H

hacklimit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use the mute button. Works great. I stopped playing live because of people like you described. Everyone thinks they are Johnny Friggin Chan.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The trash talkers are the Matasows and Helmuths of the poker world. Their trash is intended to tilt you. Even if they CAN play well, putting other players on tilt is just a tool in their table arsenal.

Stay cool, ignore, and play well. They are not required to trash talk - and you are not required to reply.

If you really MUST trash talk, join one of the CC Last Player Standing Challenges. It's all OFF the tables and all in fun. Might help get it out of your system ... ;-))

Last edited:
P

PDMike425

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
if they're still in, mute their chat, if they're out mute observers, if they throw up profanities, report them. if they're tilting, be patient and take their chips

almostfamous1003

almostfamous1003

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mute, mute, mute and sit back and wait for the right hand to take all their chips

houcowboy

houcowboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the time, I think it's their way of trying to force you into bad play.

I see it all the time. Someone gets upset because they lose a hand and start talking trash to get the person that just beat them to "try and take them out". The talker goes all-in next hand (or soon after with a good hand) and the target calls with a hand that they maybe they wouldn't normally play.

Next thing you know, the target has lost a lot of their chips.

Gorblid

Gorblid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually ignore the trash chat, or read briefly to see if can answer something to tilt them.
I enjoy reading the chat actually when someone is mad (never muted the chat), if I am not in the mood for chat I just totally ignore the chat and concentrate only on the cards.

Jayson745

Jayson745

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never start talking trash, but if someone else does it to me I let them have it. I dont let it affect the way I play, but I do my best to make them look stupid at the table. If they are already running their mouth, alot of times all it takes is a little push to send them into all in mode. Then wait for a hand and crush them if nobody else beats you to it.

If I'm drinking I go to far sometimes and have lost my chat many times because of it. I just cant sit back and ignore someone who is bad mouthing me. Especially when I know I made the right play. "how can you call that donkey?" gets "because I had the best hand retard, or pot odds cry baby, ect".

I especially like it when people get all upset over a freeroll or a very small limit game. I usually say, if you want to play a buch of pros like yourself mabey you should move up limits. cry baby. Always throw in the "cry baby" part.

MackemMan

MackemMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The only time It is acceptable is if you bad beat me and its me doing the trash talk lol.

As everyone here has said, turn off chat, or report em......

MackemMan :D

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I usually say, if you want to play a buch of pros like yourself mabey you should move up limits. cry baby. Always throw in the "cry baby" part.

I like that.

My advise is to ignore it.

I never respond to trash.

Was playing in a freeroll, top 100 to qualify for next round, and this idiot was being very aggressive with both his chatting and betting.

He went all in with nothing (he had been doing this every 2nd or 3rd hand since I had joined the table) and I called and sent him packing.

Well did he sound off, and abused me until the game finished. He was also back, for about half an hour, abusing me in the weekly final four days later.

I found it rather amusing that someone could get so worked up over a freeroll.

S

sd great 1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if playing live, the best response i've heard was the one given by the player ( i forget his name ) who played phil hellmuth at wsop with a q-10

his response to phil's rant was spot on. " i may have not have a good hand to start the hand , but after the flop i think i played it pretty well."

whick he did, phil shut up after that.

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually respond to the trash talker with a "Why Thank you"
And then when they come back with more trash, I act like it's another compliment and usually they end up on tilt and not me!
;)

SPCotter

SPCotter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just give it them back, maybe they tilt and you take all their chips, some provide great comedy value, so much so to seek them out and join them in the ring games every now and then!

garenka

garenka

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone :) that definately made me feel abit better. even places 221 in a FR not too long ago after reading. ill make sure to do all that was said here. Not too sure about live tables.....havnt been to one yet.

pokertramp

pokertramp

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is trash talk and then there is intimidation. I tend to talk hard to people at the table, when I want them to call my all in, when I am bluffing and when They comment on something I do.

I don't consider that trash talk but when someone criticizes your every move, poor choice of cards you play, bets you call, that gut shot or open ender you hit, that is trash talk. As mentioned, these people are just jealous. These people don't piss me off anymore, instead I now react by talking hard hack to them. If they say " you hit the damn flush on the river didn't you?" " you are a donkey" I may say yeah I'm the donkey with your money and if you keep shooting your mouth off I will take the rest of it.

I had one guy, I asked him if he had me beat, he said "of course I do, why would I bet all in?" I said "Good I call" he was pissed and started talking trash saying "how can you call with a pair of aces wit 3 spades on the board? I told him I knew he was bluffing and that if he tried it again he would lose again,lol He was pissed off!!!!

Just my thoughts

H

herestoya

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually the person talking smack doesn't last long! Usually the biggest donk in the game and being put out because they don't know how to manage chips.

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i just dont care what any of that stuff. if you feel the need to be mikey matasau at the table, it tells me your game is lacking or your not very confident.

Z

zhutzler

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoy when someone starts talking trash, I don't usually start it but I will sure join in if someone starts. It is real great when the guy trash talking loses.