How do you mix your game?

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello people! On my way to improve I am trying to mix my game to make it less obvious. For example, with a couple of tens in an early position, I usually raise a strong raise to discourage the action and stay alone against one or two opponents. But obviously if I always do the same, it would not always be difficult for the other players to know my game. Then I mix it with some calls, say 70% raise and 30% call. And to maintain this proportion I do the following: from XX:01 hours until XX:42 hours, I raise, and from XX:43 hours until XX:00 hours I call.
I got this idea from a book and I am just implementing it, so I accept advice and suggestions. I would also like to know some of the ways in which you mix your game

G

GrannySmit77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It just seems to me that if you raise in early position you're telling the other players your hand- pocket pair or AK. It depend on your image at the table. And it also depends on the other players also. If, for instance, you have an agressive player, that raises frequently acting after you, maybe just limp, then if he raises put in a raise.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mixing up your game should be something every player should be implementing into their strategy - but let's not overthink this too much.

For myself, I switch between TAG, LAG, and LP (loose passive). I do not deviate from normal bet sizing - it turns your hand face up.

I play with a lady all the time in home games and say the blinds are 100/200 - she will open to 1200 - 1500 - sometimes even larger...this almost ALWAYS means she has a pocket pair, 99 or smaller and she doesnt want to go to a flop with overcards on it. I exploit this play from her ALLLLLL the time. Every once in a while she shows up with A9 or AJo but around 85% of the time or so it's a small - mid pocket pair.

So that being said - dont get carried away opening things like 99 or 10-10 from early position and making the raise oversized - when you do get called it's never going to be by hands you are strongly ahead of. Two overs are only a 45% dog vs your 10s so it's really close to flip.

Anyhow - I'm staying off the subject. I mix things up by doing lots of things. If my stack is up there - I open hands from MP that I normally wouldn't - the LAG approach. Dont be afraid to 3 bet hands like A5s, QJs, J10s, etc - from late position. If you flop reasonably well I like to play them aggressively as if you may have an overpair. I like to do the same from time to time from the SB or BB. Calling to defend is just fine but sometimes 3 betting will allow you to win the pot outright without seeing a flop.

Another thing you can do is to check raise in spots where you normally wouldn't- I've check raised nothing but a gut shot and backdoor flush draw before simply because the flop represented my range better than my opponents. Playing your range moreso than your own cards can allow you to take down pots you normally couldn't win. Make sure you dont get carried away with your bluffs - but if you aren't mixing them into your game, you are not maximizing your profits. Keep in mind though - at the lowest of all stakes, less players fall for bluffs as they do not read into them as much. If you think you made a good bet with your bluff attempt - be happy with your play, even when you get looked up.

Anyhow, lots of other information out there. I hope mine helps you in some way. Good luck to you

theskillzdatklls

theskillzdatklls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people use their watch, some people use suits of the cards, others just go off of gut feeling. But it is good to do some things some % of the time. Also there's situations where it's advantageous based off of suits so don't neglect that in postflop scenarios.

T

twoG1cup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
occasionally 3 bet a stupid hand like 9 2o

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do alot of risky hands with q 9, j 10, 7 10, but that's just me after lots of hands and practice guys. I wouldn't try it if you are newcomers in poker. Just stick with strong cards and don't bluff at all. Let the bad boy do it muhahahhaha

H

Heresthecooler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm playing Hold em, I don't mix my game. I'm a fairly tight player.

Igorek1313

Igorek1313

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play differently each time, depending on the players at the table. playing one type never win poker online !!!:cool:

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I follow a more conservative style of play. I try to be patient, play with strong cards, and almost never bluff. Therefore, I always easily control my emotions and enjoy the game.

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depnding on what game you are playing depends what sort off hands you play. If you are playing cash games always stick to strong hands as these are the hands with strong equity. Never get glued to them though if you think someone has you beat they probably have , some people seem to get AK and think no one can beat them the fact is its a massive hand yes but all that has to happen is someone connects and you dont. Then your pot is gone, always start with the 3 or 4 bet then if you connect you can go for the jugular if you dont and they bet big you can get out. C bets i hate the C bet this can cause you to lose a lot of your chip stack especially when you C bet wth nothing in your hand ok if theres a rainbow flop and villan checks yes try a C BET nothing that will hurt your stack if they fold great if they call check to the river you may hit the turn or the river then you can then build your pot. It also works the other way where you hit on the flop check the turn and the villan chucks all in or a large bet to bully you off the pot. There are so many variances you can play yourself its just knowing when to play them.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My game depends on my opponents at the table. Sometimes, I also change the tactics of my game, but only if I know what style of play have my opponents.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to mix my play, but not sure I am because I make stupid mistakes no matter how I play. On line only, live cash games I play much better. I guess not seeing the cash or chips right in front of me changes my mind set.

G

Giacominii

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have that much experience yet, but I think that mixing my game will always depend on my stack, position and what my opponents thinking of me atm so i can surprise them.

C

ChicoRSC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no rule, obviously... but usually I try to seems a tight player... than.. sometimes I can bluff... learning it yet hahaha

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
You don't raise differently depending on your card strength against players that can think. But if they call bigger raises from early position you bet as mush as they are willing too call since you generally play a strong range from EP. Live someone can call raises to ca 10 bb - that almost never happens online.

But be happy if they do.

Top 10 Games