How do you manage your bankroll?

D

Dellamora999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you manage your bankroll? I don't usually make deposits, I only play with what I win in freerolls and other tournaments, I make a sequence of good games and then a sequence of bad games that always end up with the balance, any tips?

Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
- Play the game you're good at, do not hop between different styles and tables
- Play within your bankroll. If you decided you will play max 5% of your bankroll at one table, stick with it
- Do not jump to higher stakes when you do well or bad. Go to higher stakes only if you're sure yo're prepared for it
- Discipline. Establish some Bankroll management rules for yourself and stick with them

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play without bankroll management, because I am not a professional in poker, I can win in cash and take part in an expensive tournament with this money or withdraw money, then deposit some money and play

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you manage your bankroll? I don't usually make deposits, I only play with what I win in freerolls and other tournaments, I make a sequence of good games and then a sequence of bad games that always end up with the balance, any tips?
I tell folks if they're playing online to look themselves up on sharkscope to look at their profit graph. A visual representation of how they're doing can help them a lot more than trying to stick to abstract bankroll rules.

The next step would be to ask yourself if whatever cash game buyin or tournament entry fee amount would be a noticeable dip in your profit graph if you didn't cash or lost that cash game buyin then I would tell them not to play it.

Sharkscope only tracks your online tournament but you can take a cash buyin and compare it to a tourn buyin and still realize the damage it would have to your account. Again, visualizing the damage might be easier to understand than saying 2% or 5% or whatever abstract amount you're thinking about risking.

Like if you've got $100 in tournament wins but you decide to play a $10 tourn then that's going to do something to that graph unlike a $1 or sub below $1 tourn that you wouldn't notice if you didn't cash.

Then the next step would be you pick a tourn where the loss doesn't really mess up your profit graph but if you hit a final table or win the tourn would increase your profit graph very nicely, but that's another topic for another time.

GL

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The problem with proper bankroll management is most people wont factor in everything and adjust as needed. Most will say if you have 100 Buy in to 150 Buy ins your properly bank rolled. That's not accurate.

I believe it was Jonathan little who said if you have 100 to 150 buy ins and move up and down as necessary you should never really go broke if your a decent winning player.

Say you have $100 and play $1.00 tournaments. If your playing tournaments of 50 to 75 players you are well bankrolled to play them. Not your instead play tournaments of 2000+. Suddenly your not very well bank rolled and are very likely to fail. You need to adjust for the size or the tournaments as well.

2nd problem is moving down. So you playing the small tournaments and lose have your money. Proper bankroll management would have you stop playing $1.00 game and move to $0.50 cent ones. Drop to $25 and you should drop to $0.25 games.

Say you start with 100 buy in or $100 and do drop down as needed, even if $0.25 is the lower buy in level you would have to lose 300 tournaments without a cash in a row to lose your bank roll. As you see with a 300 tournaments set up you should be able to avoid going broke for a very long time even in the worst of down swings.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
How do you manage your banking? I don't use fazer deposits, just play with what I win in freerolls and other tournaments, did a sequence of bonus games and then a sequence of ruins games that always end up with the balance, any dicta?
I only deposited once in each room I play, to be able to participate in two freerolls for depositors, and I already managed to triple the value deposited by playing freerolls.

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have 2 separate bankrolls, my GGpoker which is actually at 450$, deposit made was 100$, and my PS with 38$, deposit made none.
My first one I use it for cash games, using a brm of 20buy ins minimum, 100 buy ins maximum and shots takes for 4 buy ins when I feel it or when I see that I'm 4 buy ins higher my max buy in.
The PS br got it from the freerolls on CC, I got twice prized, 4th and something like 30th at the 300 week end. I play mtts saturdays and sometimes sundays, to chill from my CG, so started it from zero, and won one scoop, 400th with 20$ or so. Here I don't quite respect my brm, as it's more for fun, I play the 1$ to 5$ mtts while playing the weekend freerolls.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A bankroll is an amount of money set aside for poker, which wont be needed for other purposes. So starting with the pure basics, if you dont deposit but win a bit of money here and there from freerolls, then you dont have a bankroll. You are playing in a recreational way, and the only rules or advices for that is to have fun and not deposit money, you cant afford to lose. If you do occationally make a deposit, you need to consider it money spend not invested. The term "bankroll management" only makes sense, if you are a proven winning player, and this need to be without including freeroll cashes. So if for instance you are up 200$, this cant be, because you won 400$ in freerolls but lost 200$ in normal games.

If you want to become a long term winning player, then the first step is to study and improve your game. Take the CC 30 day course for instance. The next step after that is to make an initial deposit and then make that your bankroll. Can be up to 500-1.000$ depending on your financial situation, but preferably not less than 100$. And then you start to manage this like a bankroll with your goal being to never have to deposit again, and also not rely on winning money from freerolls. The exact system is not important. The important is, that you dont just randomly play, whatever games show up in the lobby, like fun satellites or Spin n Gos or what not, and that you move down if needed. Since january 2022 I have been doing a bankroll building challenge on pokerstars starting with 107$. You can go back to the beginning of that thread to see the system, I used with that kind of bankroll, and then maybe use that as inspiration.

M

melbru88888

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i play with limit i play 400 every month otherwise i cant controll myself

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I try to handle it as best as possible but it's hard when like me we play low value buy-in tournaments.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How I managing my bankroll?.. All simply: I'm playing only by bankroll... That's all!

D

Danieleli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right now i cant say i have a proper bankroll management.. i already made some deposits at first and plan to dont do it again. What @Luvepoker said sounds really great to me. At the moment im playing mostly sng 45 p 1 dolar and have more than 100 dollars there.. I believe one most important things is to avoid large fields at the beggining and have a BR that could hold it when on downsing and we must know when to going up or down.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not doing much. Just playing freeroll and buy in tournaments from time to time. At least it's only hobby right?

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management