How do you know if you are good enough to actually make a go at it full time?

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you can make enough for a living ...

A

andreii955

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you can figure out the results, they are the ones that tell you what your level is,

rsimms

rsimms

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say that you have to be a winning player, you're winnings are substantial enough to pay your bills, and you are mentally tough enough to handle the inevitable downswings of poker, and I guess you have to play at stakes where you can expect a reasonable profit. I wonder if there is anybody out there who is a freeroll pro! :D

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most fail because of the mental side of it. Bad runs hurt recreational players but imagine when your livlihood depends on playing. BRM and the mental side is what you want to be able to control. Also, play a ton of poker and show proven results before becoming "pro".

rodrigo1972

rodrigo1972

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you can make enough money to live you are good

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah you need to be very good, yeah you need to have the experience, but most important thing you need is control. You should be in full control when it comes to some bad beats or huge wins, you always need to be in control of yourself.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My bank account has never lied to me yet,,,,listen to it.:cool:

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's like your love, you'll know it when it happens :rolleyes:. Hah, on a more serious note though.. I'd imagine you would want to have a steady win rate, a proper bankroll, and budgeted out and able to cover your expenses, as well as a cushion for downswings. Than you probably would be on your way. There most likely is much more to it than that, but that would probably be a good start.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't take credit for this advice. I heard it on TV once. But you basically need to make enough in one year to support both, all of your living AND savings expenses as well as cover all of your poker playing for the year without ever having to dip into savings. If your poker playing alone can achieve this for a year, then go pro. Oh, and winning one huge tourney for $100,000 one time does not count since it will pretty much be a one time thing.

M

mikey481968

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i am a little above avg player but i would like to set at a table with the pros once and see what i haved leard i have only been playing for like almost 3 years and finally learn to fold and not chase str early lol

B

BigSlick20

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you make enough money to make a living you should be good to go.

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know I'm not good enough because I did not win any tournament so far

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you need to ask advice on this then you Absolutely need to keep your factory job.

Pbland

Pbland

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is very true. This response reminds me of when people say if you can't identify the fish at the table, then you are the fish. If you don't know if you're ready to play full time, then you're not ready.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
math is same in each and every language, and numbers don't lie!When you are CONSTANTLY winning, you will know what you can do and what you might try and what you shouldn't!

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't take credit for this advice. I heard it on TV once. But you basically need to make enough in one year to support both, all of your living AND savings expenses as well as cover all of your poker playing for the year without ever having to dip into savings. If your poker playing alone can achieve this for a year, then go pro. Oh, and winning one huge tourney for $100,000 one time does not count since it will pretty much be a one time thing.
True, but imagine the bankroll! You could play 2x 109 tournaments every weekend for 10 years:fight:

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing poker for a living is a type of hell. Losing 40% of your bankroll just due to variance is normal in NLH,Omaha is worse. The edges keep getting thinner and thinner. Just do it as a lucrative hobby.....

adipop950

adipop950

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
im good.but will always be one better that me.:D

Leomil

Leomil

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will need to analisy your dates from all long your way, with a big volume, to know that, like 10 000 tournaments etc

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Similar boat

I know I'm not good enough because I did not win any tournament so far[/QUOTE

Although I have won the odd tournament, I am in the same situation as you. I'm sure to do it for a living your brain needs to be functioning at quite a high level. A.K.A. IQ level over 117. Not just anyone can live the dream. So for now I just enjoy it when I can

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know I'm not good enough because I did not win any tournament so far[/QUOTE

Although I have won the odd tournament, I am in the same situation as you. I'm sure to do it for a living your brain needs to be functioning at quite a high level. A.K.A. IQ level over 117. Not just anyone can live the dream. So for now I just enjoy it when I can
Study the game and play a lot, the tendency is always to improve when you do something you love, I won a tournament and to play very final tables after of study and play much

I

izpanol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything is summarized in the money, if you can sustain playing a certain number of hours a day, as if it were a job, it is already done. Then, the decision is summarized to the profits.Everything is summarized in the money, if you can sustain playing a certain number of hours a day, as if it were a job, it is already done. Then, the decision is summarized to the profits.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not have a goal of playing professionally so I really can't answer your question. Instead, my hopes would be to be able to play in a few HPT tournaments each year after I retire. Right now that doesn't seem to be in the cards for me, pun intended, but you never know. One can dream.