How do you handle losing days?

M

metameg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently deposited not ACR, and I'm having a very rollercoaster ride so far. Over about 20ish hours of play (2-tabling usually) I've gone from +5 BI's to -1 BI. I know this is an extremely small sample size, so I'm not too worried, just a bit discouraged after my last few sessions.
So my question is what do you do when you have a string of bad sessions?

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Welcome yo CC.
When i have a loosing day, i take a break, find something else to do.

Sometime I move from one type of game to another, NLH to Omaha H/L etc.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I see that I'm starting to lose money for several days in the game's cache or spend a lot on buying tournaments and do not win, then I take a break or turn to small bets in the cash game and turn to inexpensive tournaments!

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a last tilt hand for the remainder of my stack and then call the other player a donk or a site owner bot in the chat box...
Then I beat up my cat... just joking...

It is really important to be able to observe your own game and stop instantly if you notice a bad run has effected you and you start to tilt...

Poker has enough losses waiting for you anyway, so there is no reason to increase them by playing maniac style after a bad beat...

In the long run we should strive to be able to continue playing our best game even in horrible sessions though. Especially as a tournament player you must be able to do so as you simply cannot „take a break“ when you are in a MTT and suffer some bad beats....

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep doing what I do when I have winning ones: Work hard on my game, keep a great mindset, focus on what I can control, seek a good life balance.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Taking a break is probably the best advice and the most common you are going to receive. I had problems with tilt for quite some time and though i am much better today it still effects me negatively. There are just some days that it will get the best of me, controlling your emotions is not easy and the same methods do not work for us all - you are going to need an outlet you can go to for a few moments to calm down, get your head straight and get back at it. Good luck!

VivicvrMga

VivicvrMga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main challenge of poker and the mental, accept and there are good days and bad days and know how to deal with them.
If there were only victories it would be easy, beware of selective memory only remember the days of defeat and be thinking about it. Closed the session went wrong go watch a movie listen to a song after a few days with a cool head review the hands, analyze the mistakes and correct and good days from there. Good luck

TinkCzru

TinkCzru

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch tv, watch a movie or go for a walk. Basically do something you enjoy, laugh and maybe come back in 2-3 days. Study first and then hit the grind again

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Keep doing what I do when I have winning ones: Work hard on my game, keep a great mindset, focus on what I can control, seek a good life balance.

This takes some practice, too. All great advice.

Currently I am not finding a whole lot of joy in playing - it's so easy to step away for a bit for me and regroup. Balance in life is something I need to get under control, too. :)

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do not be lazy. do not play any further. Pay attention to the errors that were if you have a HUD.
do a small analysis of specific hands where you lost money.
this will help you in the future.
look at your ranges and positions under which you were defeated.
the analysis of your game is useful

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This takes some practice, too. All great advice.

Currently I am not finding a whole lot of joy in playing - it's so easy to step away for a bit for me and regroup. Balance in life is something I need to get under control, too. :)
I see sadness in the words of my friend))))
Black stripes that appear in life should be painted at once with white color.
and all will be well. it will be a good balance

so also in poker.
*As Henry Ford said, even the plane takes off against the wind.
so that all of us will be all right

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As most of the previous posters have said take a break and come back refreshed and raring to go.:):):)

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I see sadness in the words of my friend))))
Black stripes that appear in life should be painted at once with white color.
and all will be well. it will be a good balance

so also in poker.
*As Henry Ford said, even the plane takes off against the wind.
so that all of us will be all right

Thank you, Nikolay - this too shall pass and the black stripes will soon be white. :)

K

kygamblr09

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have losing days anymore because i either go broke all in one day or i win all in one day. I don't want to string it along day after day so i go for broke either way. So either i'm broke and can't play or i have money if i win to play another day. (that was my old way of doing things). I have since found a new method which is working out for me so far but i'll try and start a new thread about it.

Terrell423

Terrell423

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to learn from it and try to improve my game

N

NutsForPLO

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play only live cash plo so take it as I see, but the post above mine about learning and improving is how I do it. How did I lose and was there anything I can do to prevent it? Yes, there’s the occasional hands where you fully dominate your opponent who pushes all in and you call only for them to hit their one outter, but was that the reason why you lost your whole session?

The most I’ll lose during a sessions is $1000, which is 2-3 buyins depending on where I put the opponent’s stacks when I sit down. If I lose, I tell myself that I played bad and start to think where in my session did it go bad or what I could have done to change my game. Not many people understand or do this at all, blaming their losses on people or bad luck. I have not had back to back losing sessions since I started to blame myself for my bad plays and learning from those unfortunate events. Good luck

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Complain that it is rigged and everyone is out to get me.

Krypton173

Krypton173

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Study makes me keep my sanity. I would like to say i do it everyday, but that wont be true, i only do it when i run/play bad for 3-5 days.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always just try to stay focused on the long run after a losing day. I will pull up my long term graph over the last year and remind myself of reality, lot's and lot's of winning.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive been going through some pretty big varience, somes days where it seemed like the cards never fell in my favor, bad beats, etc.

When I start running bad, I take time off the tables and take time to practice. (I play practice sessions on APT)

Whatever your practice sessions, be it videos or books or hand reviews, will help your game more then playing on tilt trying to make your bankroll back.

:mad:Dont let Bad Play follow Bad Luck:mad:

Wiltz82

Wiltz82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I notice that I start losing I just stop for the day and try and regroup go threw the last couple hands I played try to see what I did and where I can improve and the next day try for something little or a free roll just to get back into it and figure out from those where you can improve

JusThieF

JusThieF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Roll one and take an trip at low mtt buyins :p

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You dont have it that day. Its a day to rest. You will play poker another day. If you are making rush decisions and also bad ones its time to relax a little. Play another day.

H

have

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
brake

brake time it is .stop compose . when your ready with a better mind set . go back get ready to rumble just havefun havefunAA:D

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands