How do u learn "outs" and etc

D

Dioptrics

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im still learning all of this, and i dont exactly understand how u count all the "outs" in your hand, or exactly what that even means. Can anyone help me out?

bertoXIV

bertoXIV

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An "out" is any card that you think will improve you hand to make it a winner. If you hold [As] [9s] and the flop is [Ks] [7h] [4s] you have nine outs to make your flush (the nuts) and three outs to hit your ace, which may or may not make you the best hand. You need to "discount" the ace, since hitting it may not give you the best hand (if, say, your opponent has two pair, or AK and it will make him two pair). You can even discount the [7s] a bit as well, as it would pair the board giving an opponent w a set a full house. In this case you might calculate that you have about 10 outs to make your hand (depending on reads, etc.).

outs-- ratio

1-- 46:1
2-- 23:1
3-- 15:1
4-- (gut shot) 11:1
5-- 8:1
6-- (over cards) 7:1
7-- 6:1
8-- (oesd) 5:1
9-- (flush draw) 4:1

10-- 3.7:1
11-- 3.3:1
12-- 3:1
13-- 2.6:1
14-- 2.4:1
15-- 2.1:1

If you were able to successfully memorize your multiplication tables this should be no problem. Really, you could probably get buy with just to bold ones.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sure....well heres a quick way to learn.....illl give you an example of a hand and how to count the outs......

YOU: 10s 9s
Them: Ah As

Flop: 8s Js Kh

ok right here is were well count how many "outs" you have

since you have 10 9 you have an "open ended straight draw" meaning two cards(the 7 or Q) could hit to make a straight. since there are four 7s and four Qs in a deck that would be 8 outs meaning 8 cards to make your hand, but thats not all, notice you have a flush draw with tw spades in your hand and 2 spades on the board. There are 4 suits(club,spade,heart,diamond) with 13 numbers(2-10,J,Q,K,A) so since there are 13 spades in the deck and 4 are used you have an additional 9 outs. but remember he has the A of spades so thats one to take away. so in total you have 16 outs which in most cases is a lot too have.

hope this helps i know it is a lot

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^ KC obviously cant do maths, in that situation, you have 14 outs since you have counted the 7 of spades and the q of spades twice

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another thing that you can do with outs is covert them back to your % of winning the hand. This is what you see on TV during televised poker shows. There is a rough formula to help you do this. On the flop, you take your number of outs and multiply it by 4. So if you have a flush draw (9 outs) you have a 36% chance to win. On the turn, you multiply your outs by 2, so you'd have an 18% chance to win.

These %'s are not exact, but they are close enough to what they actually are. You'll hear this formula referred to as the Rule of 4 and 2. And it's a handy little thing to have memorized.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^^ KC obviously cant do maths, in that situation, you have 14 outs since you have counted the 7 of spades and the q of spades twice

lol switch yeah sry it was late and i was doing it in between three sngs, which is why i even posted because by the time i finished AG and i think berto already posted or i would have not posted at all lol, thanks for the look though switch:D

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like they said, outs are the cards that will give you the winning hand. Since you can't see their cards you can only estimate what your outs are.

If you need one card for a flush after the flop, you have about a 1/3 chance of hitting it by the river. Of course, if it missed the turn then it's 1/5 for it to come up on the river.

What I do to get a rough estimate of percentages is to to count the number of cards that will help me, and multiply it by 4 on the flop or by 2 on the turn.

For example, if I figure there are 8 cards that'll give me my open-ended straight, on the flop I have 4 x 8 chance of getting the winning hand. Or a 32% chance (it's actually a tad better than that).
If there are 8 cards that fill my open-ended draw on the turn, then I multiply by 2. 8 x 2 = 16, so I have about a 16% chance.

These percentages are usually a tad short of the actual percentages, but close enough.

P

PL0TS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'll hear this formula referred to as the Rule of 4 and 2. And it's a handy little thing to have memorized.

i have never heard that before and have been playing poker for 8 years.

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have never heard that before and have been playing poker for 8 years.

I been playing for 2 and it was one of the first things I learnt.

its actually 2.2 on the turn and 4 on the flop