How do I stay motivated through down swings?

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you can take a break, work on the game, watch poker streams

P

ProfessorGrind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
here are a few options:
1. take a break to study and refocus
2. if MTT player, play smaller fields
3. if cash game player, play some smaller stakes instead of regular games (check ego at the door)
4. Know that variance swings both ways

Good luck!

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont go on tilt

My BR is down 15% over the last 2 weeks. I've not had a single winning session in all that time.

How can I stay motivated? How do I know I'm doing the right things and this is just variance? How do you keep going through rough times like this?

thanks

Ha from experience you need to just play great poker your style and dont think about the winning of the money or it will drive you nuts. If your not winning then study up on some poker theory and tackle the problem. Tilt can get the best of you just be humble and keep grinding.

A

anadrijav

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowing that you will get back on your winning streak, if not, I suggest you rest 2 or 3 days.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) take some time off, do not play at all
2) try a different poker room

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
1) take some time off, do not play at all
2) try a different poker room

How will this make any difference at all? I'm curious??

OP
Part of learning how to become a good player is learning to deal with variance.

Perhaps take more time for study? (many ways you can do this)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You stay motivated, by understanding that you must have patient, and knowing that you should not get carried away, by the bad beats. It is part of the game! There will be many up and down!

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Focus on studying the game and reviewing your hands while looking for leaks and ways to improve, rather then playing through it. Many will tell you to play through it.

cardartist85

cardartist85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know your frustration all too well and am going through it myself the last couple months. One good thing about it is how much sweeter it makes it when you do start breaking through again. My biggest problem is learning to use my bankroll the right way in order to withstand the variance. The sad truth of it is even when we play well there are going to be long stretches where we aren’t profitable. Poker can be a very cruel game lol.

H

hoondo87

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always take a break during a big downswing like that.. and do the things I can control. Whether that's lifting weights or just watching something that I enjoy..

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Ivey's masterclass explains this situation amazingly. I would upload the portion of it that is perfect, but don't want to get banned for plagiarism/copywrite/etc:) It is chapter/clip "strategies for success"

Don't listen to it from me, listen to it from Phil Ivey:)

Last edited:
Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is when I spend a lot of time reviewing my hands to make sure that I am making solid decisions and just getting unlucky.

I also remind myself of my long term winnings during times like this to make sure I know what's real and what's not.

Hang in there, all downswings end at some point :)

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Read articles about tight and loose players. If you have a tight-aggressive strategy, then you are doing everything right, the main thing is to stay calm. If you play loose, then the main reason for down swing is your playing style, and then you need to change your playing style in order to start winning. It is easy to determine, look at the range of starting hands of a tight player and the range of starting hands of a loose player, and you will understand what class of player you are. Of course, good starting hands should definitely be played with a raise before the flop, so as not to launch opponents into the game, for example, on 2 3, 6 8, J 7 and other similar hands. Motivate yourself that you are doing everything right and the reason is not in you, and once the down swing will end and you will start winning again.

Patoamz95

Patoamz95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are bad spells that lead you to get frustrated, many times it is good to take a break and you will see that when you return you will be much more eager and motivated